Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The start of some V8 madness

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 10:04 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As a heads up for anybody who has read this thread and used his writeup on the pumpkin install/uninstall - get a 12mm allen head socket. A friend of mine just did the rear end on his Supra so I was able to borrow the one he bought, and it was so tough with a big 1/2" ratchet and breaker I can't imagine trying to do it with just an allen key.
Old 03-06-08, 10:11 AM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep a good 10mm and 12mm hex bit is vital as you need a bar to break both the differential mounts at the back and the axle bolts.

Matt.
Old 03-06-08, 10:16 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnar
As a heads up for anybody who has read this thread and used his writeup on the pumpkin install/uninstall - get a 12mm allen head socket. A friend of mine just did the rear end on his Supra so I was able to borrow the one he bought, and it was so tough with a big 1/2" ratchet and breaker I can't imagine trying to do it with just an allen key.
I just put a 2' pipe over the allen wrench and off it comes.
Old 03-06-08, 10:53 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I just put a 2' pipe over the allen wrench and off it comes.
I guess I just felt a lot more comfortable putting that much force on a 1/2 ratchet than I would have an allen key. I know it works either way though.
Old 03-07-08, 06:57 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know my allen keys are hardened tool steel, doesn't get much harder than that
Old 03-07-08, 09:01 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Hey Blizzy! Nice set-up. I spent some time reading the thread, but I didn't read all 12 pages.
I have a TT SC400 that I've swaped the auto trans for a Getrag 6-speed out of a TT Supra.
On my motor stock I made 320rwhp at 3-4PSI (Left the waste gates open) The motor made 378 rwhp at 7-8psi
I melted a piston around 10-12 psi so if your gonna keep the motor stock you may want to look at timing, or stay under these boost levels. I was only adding Fuel, stock timing.
With stock rods, & 8.5:1 forged pistons I made 510rwhp at 17-18psi.
The stock automatic trans took a crap right away at 7psi.
I rebuilt it with Raybestos blue discs, and koleen steels which claim to increase the holding capisity 3X.
I had problems again above the 500HP mark.
I also put a stall in the auto. I didn't really like it. 22-2300RPM and to be honest the car still took off like a turd until boost came in.
Where in Indiana are you? Near Chicago? I'm about 30 minutes west of Chi-town. Maybe we can meet up sometime, and talk Lexus. LOL
Good luck with the projest. It sounds like it's gonna really be nice.
Old 03-07-08, 09:45 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Hey Blizzy! Nice set-up. I spent some time reading the thread, but I didn't read all 12 pages.
I have a TT SC400 that I've swaped the auto trans for a Getrag 6-speed out of a TT Supra.
On my motor stock I made 320rwhp at 3-4PSI (Left the waste gates open) The motor made 378 rwhp at 7-8psi
I melted a piston around 10-12 psi so if your gonna keep the motor stock you may want to look at timing, or stay under these boost levels. I was only adding Fuel, stock timing.
With stock rods, & 8.5:1 forged pistons I made 510rwhp at 17-18psi.
The stock automatic trans took a crap right away at 7psi.
I rebuilt it with Raybestos blue discs, and koleen steels which claim to increase the holding capisity 3X.
I had problems again above the 500HP mark.
I also put a stall in the auto. I didn't really like it. 22-2300RPM and to be honest the car still took off like a turd until boost came in.
Where in Indiana are you? Near Chicago? I'm about 30 minutes west of Chi-town. Maybe we can meet up sometime, and talk Lexus. LOL
Good luck with the projest. It sounds like it's gonna really be nice.
Wow, I didnt know there was another 6 speed swapped SC400 running around, let alone TT. Please PM me details of the entire build! You have to bring it to the Lexus shootout in TX!
Old 03-07-08, 10:48 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Yeah that's a shocker!
Old 03-07-08, 08:50 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Wow, I built the car TT years ago. Thats kinna susprising to me.
All the topics on my car are pretty old, and I don't wanna hi-jack Blizzy's thread.
Heres a link to the rebuild thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=rdm&page=6

If you search my name rdm20fan you can find most of the topics on my car.

Once again Your set-up looks nice Blizzy. Good Luck!!
Oh if your gonna boost on the stock motor, you need to either remove the breather tube to the valve covers, or inforce the cam seal at the back of the valve cover. if you don't the boost will blow it out, and you'll have a 2 inch hole open back there for oil to get all over everything, and I mean everything. Trust me. :-(
Old 03-08-08, 12:02 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Good luck with the project. It sounds like it's gonna really be nice.
Bob-

Thanks for the comment. I have read and reread your thread a couple times when I was researching the options for my car. You definitely have a kick *** set up, and I am honored that you have spent the time to share the information that you have with me.

I am in Fort Wayne. The drive to Chicago is about three hours, but expect to make the trip at least twice a year as I have friends from college that have taken residence in the city recently. I would love to talk Lexus. I do not have the opportunity to share thoughts with a fellow Lexus/Toyota enthusiast very often in northeast Indiana where everything is Ford, Chevy, or Mopar.

My goal for the motor is to make 350whp. The blower I am using is relatively low output. The GS400 guys that are supercharging their stock motor at 8psi are making 370-390whp with a slightly more powerful blower (although they are all going through an automatic). I hope to construct a set up that will maximize cost effectiveness with the car by spending my money wisely to push the car as far as I can without throwing reliability and quality out the window.

Again, it is awesome to see you checking in on my thread. Your build is among the builds that have inspired me to take the next step with my car. Without guys like you, Scott, Ryan, Eric, etc., I would have been unable to find the necessary motivation to supercharge and swap a 5MT into my SC400. Your words of wisdom are very valued. I appreciate you taking the time.

-Mark
Old 03-08-08, 03:48 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

[quote=rdm20fan;3341340]Wow, I built the car TT years ago. Thats kinna susprising to me.
All the topics on my car are pretty old, and I don't wanna hi-jack Blizzy's thread.
Heres a link to the rebuild thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=rdm&page=6

If you search my name rdm20fan you can find most of the topics on my car.[quote]

OK, yes I new about this one, I didnt realize this is the one that Chrisman worked on. I know exactly which car this is. OK back to Marks thread!
Old 03-08-08, 10:21 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Bob-

Thanks for the comment. I have read and reread your thread a couple times when I was researching the options for my car. You definitely have a kick *** set up, and I am honored that you have spent the time to share the information that you have with me.

-Mark
Wow Mark, thanks for the kind words! You made my day.
If your anywhere near Chicago, please let me know, I'd love to see your car, and B.S. with ya about Lexus/Toyota. rdm20fan@yahoo is my e-mail.

Your goal of 350 wheel is very obtainable. the 1UZ responds very well to boost, and for anyone having simular goals it is very obtainable, and daily drivable with the stock trans, (if it's rebuilt), and a stock motor.
I would say the stock trans (rebuilt) is probably daily drivable for any goal short of 500rw torque.
Now is it the best choice for off the line performance? maybe not, but it will handle that power.
Old 03-23-08, 09:33 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Update:

I have had possession of my house for two weeks.
I have painted every wall surface in the house with the exception of the two spare bedrooms.
I have cleaned and recleaned every other surface in the house.
I have moved in my major furniture.
I have moved in all major car parts.
I move in my kitchen supplies, laundry supplies, clothing, bedding, bathroom supplies, etc. this week.

The Lexus has been sitting in the garage for these past two weeks. I expect to have a night or two this week to spend on the car pulling the rear end, driveshaft, and transmission among other things.

I take off to Destin, Florida for a week on Friday. Once I return, I will be energized, fully moved into my house, and lacking any major project other than getting my seniors graduated and getting my SC to run through the manual gearbox.

This is the first time I have been to a computer since Tuesday. I can't wait to be spending this kind of time on enhancing my car instead of cleaning the house.
Old 03-23-08, 11:46 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear things are going well so far.
Old 03-24-08, 04:25 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Yippie! Mark is back! Get the updates coming!

Quick Reply: The start of some V8 madness