Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The start of some V8 madness

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 04:57 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yay hes back, i have too many questions LOL!
Old 03-24-08, 10:57 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
yay hes back, i have too many questions LOL!
Don't be afraid to ask, man. I am always willing to answer the questions if I am able or deflect the questions to someone who might be able to answer if I am not.

I have a ton of grading to get done tonight, but I am definitely looking forward to jacking the car up for good on Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 03-24-08, 08:52 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

you silly teachers and your homework grading BS, just mark em' all A's lol. You should adjust that vacation destination to a little place called Clearwater, we have a pretty decent beach too, not to mention me and Matt to hang out with lol. Glad to hear everything is going good with you, hope the rest of the move goes smoothly
Old 04-13-08, 12:10 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Update:

(1) I am fully moved in. It feels great to have my own place. The garage is very well organized to make progress on my SC. It is exciting to finally be undertaking this assignment.

(2) I have pulled the exhaust from the cats back, the rear end, and the driveshaft. I will pull the transmission in the coming days.

(3) In recent weeks, I have ordered a few of the parts to help further my build:

Stainless Rush Long Tube Headers from Neil Griffiths in Australia
I have been advocating S&S Headers being the most ideal headers for the 1UZ for quite some time. I do think that they are more well designed than the Rush headers. However, the mild steel construction (even coated mild steel) is prone to oxidation (not only outside of the headers but -more importantly- inside). In general, 2-3% of horsepower is lost as a result of turbulence from corrossion of mild steel headers (over time).

While the Rush Headers do have design inefficiencies at the collectors, the stainless contruction helps negate the benefit of the more fluid design of the S&S headers. The Rush headers are preferred by me for the long tube design which makes power before peak torque more easy to make. With a centrifgual supercharger, I fear having an underwhelming bottom end.

I have chosen the 1.75" long tube headers, which will put peak torque at ~5500rpm on a 4L motor. This will make the car a bit peaky, but the headers will amplify the effectiveness of the centrifugal blower as a result of very few rpm's above the peak torque point (where power is more difficult to make with the long tube headers).

I will have a 2.25" dual exhaust plumbed by Sasser Custom Exhaust in Joliet, IL when I have the headers in my possession. The modestly sized exhaust piping will help encourage efficient flow on the low end so that the car does not only make power above 4k rpm.

An adjustable FPR with a 3-60psi base fuel pressure range
This unit was ordered from Summit Racing. It is a unit that will work both for Carb applications (3-20psi) and EFI applications (20-60psi). I intend to use the FPR to scale back base fuel pressure from ~36psi to ~24psi.

Scaling back the fuel pressure at the rail will decrease injector output and increase fuel pump output. The decrease in fuel injector output will be corresspondingly accomodated for by the installation of my 315cc fuel injectors. The increase in fuel pump output (and -thus- decrease in fuel pump strain) will be well accepted once I am pushing a lot of fuel into the motor to compensate for boost.

To help compensate for boost, I will be employing an FMU to add fuel when under boost. I intend to purchase an adjustable unit so that I can tune the amount of fuel pressure increase when in boost since I anticipate I will not need exbortantly more fuel than the stock ECU can adjust for. The stock ECU can adjust +/-20% from base map in the long run if the oxygen sensors are reading a rich/lean condition.

A wideband O2 sensor and gauge from a Supraforums member
This will be essential to make sure that the theoretical scaling back of fuel pressure actually responds the way it should when installing my 315cc injectors. With the wideband, I can twaek the fuel pressure to ensure I am reacting just as I was in stock form so that the ECU does not have to relearn any fuel maps when installing my 315s.

The wideband will also ensure that I turn my FMU appropriately when I am boosting. For an FI car, this is a pretty essential piece of the puzzle. It had to be purchased some time or another.

A BD-11R Powerdyne supercharger headunit
After spending six months waiting for a BD-11R supercharger to show up at superchargerrebuilds.com, the owner of the site/shop offered me his personal BD-11R blower. He offered me the blower for $1600, when his rebuilt Powerdyne blowers with Kevlar belts and high speed ceramic bearings sell for $1050 normally. I offered him $1325 (splitting the difference), but he did not take it.

Refusing to spend that much for a Powedyne headunit, I accepted my fate of being unlikely to find a BD-11R blower (since they are so rare as almost all American model vehicles utilize a CW rotation on the drive belt). I started searching for Vortech, Paxton, and Procharger units...even though I have never been thrilled about putting a blower on the car that is extremely audible at idle. I really prefer staying under the radar.

Well, I stumbled across a guy from the Corvette forums who mistakenly received a BD-11R from an ebay auction. He is actually a moderator on the forums, which gave me piece of mind. He was so helpful every step of the way. He even pressure tested the blower before he would accept Paypal money from me. I can't say enough about how well he handled everything. It almost will make me feel guilty to outrun a Vette in a few months...almost.

Moral of the story: He parted with his blower for $700. It will be in the mail on Monday.

I am pumped about everything. My car is in the process of being torn down to accept an R154. I have headers coming a few weeks. I have a blower that will arrive this week along with my wideband and adjustable FPR. I have a whole lot of wreching on my hands these next few months.

Here is a picture from the Corvette Forum moderator when he was pressure testing my blower:
Old 04-13-08, 12:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Nice man. Cant wait to see the upcoming progress.
Old 04-13-08, 01:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Here is a picture from the Corvette Forum moderator when he was pressure testing my blower:

Which one is the blower.............
Old 04-13-08, 02:14 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Nice Supercharger. That pic is great, lol.
Old 04-13-08, 02:32 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark,
Great news, I too have been talking with Neil about those long stainless headers, along with a few other things he has to offer. I was considering dumping my S&S for a set. I was thinking he said they should be availble early june. I am really excited to hear what you think of them. Souns like it is all coming together.
Old 04-14-08, 07:15 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Great progress Mark! It's awesome to see you finally settled into your house and even more awsome to see you finally tearing down the SC.

It almost will make me feel guilty to outrun a Vette in a few months...almost.
You're lying! I don't think you'll feel the slightest bit guilty!

KC
Old 04-14-08, 06:33 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now the project is coming together...about damn time!!!

BTW, I'm going to school in Indy for the next year and a half, so i would love to come see your project sometime! Im heading over there next week to get moved in to my apartment and for orientation week so hit me up sometime!
Old 04-14-08, 07:42 PM
lexhere27
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you have the majority of the parts you need, can you find anytime to wrench before it gets too nice?
Old 04-14-08, 08:03 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Promise you will get sound clips of the headers. Are you planning on doing more with the exhaust?
Old 04-15-08, 11:19 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
You're lying! I don't think you'll feel the slightest bit guilty!
You are probably right. I will likely send a PM to the mod from the Vette forums who got me my blower just to rub it in his face (even though I am sure his blown Vette would rip me to pieces).

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Promise you will get sound clips of the headers. Are you planning on doing more with the exhaust?
My mother's friend is a professional videographer and photographer. I will borrow her camera and upload the sound clip to my webspace to get the best possible sound clip if possible.

My plan will be 1.75" Stainless Long Tube Rush Headers to 2.25" mandrel bent plumbing. It will include an X-pipe (made in house at Sasser Exhaust). It will go out to a pair of stainless steel mufflers painted black (my car is anti-bling). I might step up to 2.5" mufflers to minimize back pressure, but I am likely going to stick to 2.25" mufflers to not wake the dead. Just a note: Maggies have an internal diameter of 2.5" when the inlet/outlet is 2.25" to aid in back pressure elimination.

Originally Posted by lexhere27
can you find anytime to wrench before it gets too nice?
I have been wrenching a lot in the past two days. I have only been fully moved into my house for two days. There is still much clutter from moving boxes around the house. But, that stuff can take its time. I want my car on the road here soon.

I have the transmission half uninstalled already. I have the converter disconnected from the flex plate, the shifter disconnected from the trans as well as the oil level dipstick and oil cooler disconnected. I just have to unhook the bellhousing and the trans crossmember to drop the transmission: that is tonight's job.

I will be in DC for tomorrow and Thursday to see the Pope. I will be praying for a clean mock up install this weekend so that I can keep this thing in full motion forward.

Originally Posted by Stick3
now the project is coming together...about damn time!!!

BTW, I'm going to school in Indy for the next year and a half, so i would love to come see your project sometime! Im heading over there next week to get moved in to my apartment and for orientation week so hit me up sometime!
Amen on the 'bout damn time. If you look back at some of my original posts from two years ago, I have had this plan in the works since then. I just started the thread to keep me on task (and keep me from swapping for a JZ motor) almost a year ago now. Believe me, this has been a long time coming, and I am thrilled to have the car 18" in the air with 400lbs of crap piled up on the outskirts of the garage.

I rarely take trips to Indy, but if you wanted to head up to Fort Wayne to see the car, hang out, and get away from the craziness of school for a weekend, you are welcome. I have two open bedrooms. Fort Wayne has a million Mustang drivers with big egos to kill on the streets as well.

By the way, my supercharger is expected to arrive today. I will take pics (along with shots of the car's progress) when I am able. I will post up for sure.
Old 04-15-08, 12:22 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds great Mark, I am so glad to see this thing moving! If you need any moral support just give me a yell. I have pulled the stock tranny on the 400 twice and stabbed a manual in several times. I wish I lived close to you so I could help. Cant wait for more updates. this is a insparational project!
Old 04-15-08, 05:42 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Mini Update:

I have the TRD rear end I received from Supraforums completely disassembled. I have sold the rear end minus the LSD to a GS400 guy who wanted the 4.27 gearing. I have to tear down my 3.27 rear end from a GS400 to eventually get reassembled with the TRD LSD for this project.

I have a Supercharger sitting on the shelf in the garage. It looks fantastic. My FPR came as well. The wideband is on its way: I am excited.

**The SC400 driveshaft is NOT going to work with the MK3 driveshaft.**
The SC4 driveshaft is not able to be separated front-from-back and united to the MK3 shaft. Fortunately, the SC300 driveshaft is able to be separated front-from-back as a number of SC3 guys have done the R154 swap with the MK3 front driveshaft section.

I am officially in the market for a rear SC300 driveshaft section. I will gladly accept donations.

Quick Reply: The start of some V8 madness