Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The start of some V8 madness

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 06:58 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice progress Mark! Cant wait for this thing to take form.
Old 05-07-08, 07:28 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good Mark!

Curious, is there any reason you couldn't shave the sides of the adapter plate a little? Looks pretty beefy and looks like it overlaps both the engine and the bellhousing.

KC
Old 05-07-08, 07:41 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

you had an auto car correct? thats why your shifter hole isnt in the right location lol.. Looks great!!! I heard you can't order those soarer parts any more from champion? Looks like I will have to hold onto my transmission now!
Old 05-07-08, 07:43 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn fine work, Mark. Damn fine work. I'm of course happy to see the transmission bolted to the adapter plate.

Eric
Old 05-07-08, 09:30 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Looking good Mark. Got me on the verge of looking for a MK3 R154.

Last edited by shern; 05-07-08 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 10:43 PM
lexhere27
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin' good Mark, hopefully we can figure out the differential otherwise you'll have a quick 1st gear. Keep up the great progress.
Old 05-09-08, 01:30 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Damn fine work, Mark. Damn fine work. I'm of course happy to see the transmission bolted to the adapter plate.

Eric
I must commend you for your fine work as well, Eric. Whether you knew this or not, you manufactuered that adapter plate to end up with the MK3 front driveshaft DEAD on the center driveshaft bolt holes under the car.

This means that, when doing the R154 swap on an SC4, no custom driveshaft should be needed. A hybrid driveshaft of a MK3 front with an SC3 rear (92/93 model years are the one's we need) will do the trick. I am in the process of acquiring an SC3 rear driveshaft from 92/93 as a result of coming across the measurement this morning.

At the end of the day, I should have this swap done in the near future with only myself as the worker and only basic -very basic- tools at my disposal. For that matter, the money invested was less than a V160 by itself in used condition. While there is no doubt that the V160 is the ultimate manual transmission for any application, this swap is looking rather attainable now that I am in the midst of it.

I still have my hands full. Although, I like my chances to keep things moving smoothly in the right direction.
Old 05-09-08, 06:13 PM
c0wboy
Banned

PERFECT!

Eric
Old 05-10-08, 12:27 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

More updates:

The transmission mount is looking promising. I am going to be putting together a hybrid mount using the R154 mount from the MK3 and my stock mount. My stock mount is only ~4k miles old, so I will be using the spongy material from it. I will also be using the lower member of the stock mount for the bolt pattern. I need to trim the spongy material to the proper angle and use a high strength epoxy to glue it to the R154 mount top piece, but I don't see any significant hassles.

The driveshaft from the MK3 is running into a minor snag. The metal piece surrounding the center bearing on the MK3 shaft is appearing too large in diameter to fit in the middle of the driveshaft tunnel where it should. I am going to see if my stock center bearing is cross compatible. I have also PMed Aliga to see if he can get me a driveshaft center bearing from the 92/93 SC300 that has cross-compatibility with the MK3 driveshaft. I am hopeful that will work at the very least. Worst case scenario: I get creative in modifying the metal surrounding the the MK3 center bearing to make it work.

The transmission tunnel is a home run. I made marks for where the shifter housing sits in the tunnel. It is DEAD center within the lower shift boot from an SC300 that I have bolted in for mock up. The parts that I have acquired from Carson Toyota to modify the tail section of my transmission were golden. I am about to head out now and hack up the tunnel. The auto hole will be retained, and plugged with the factory rubber boot from my stock transmission.

Once I am able to sort out the transmission tunnel, driveshaft, and tranny mount, the mock up stage will be complete. I will then pull the transmission, install the clutch-flywheel, and get the real show on the road. I am estimating two weeks until the car is driveable.
Old 05-10-08, 05:38 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

The transmission tunnel is pretty much complete.

Gazi is sending me a driveshaft center bearing from an older SC300 along with the rear driveshaft. I am hoping that the center bearing from that year of SC300 is compatible with the MK3 driveshaft since the MK3 center bearing is being uncooperative.

I still need to work on the tranny mount.

Here are some photos...

Here are the two carrier bearings from the MK3 (right) and my SC400 (left). The protruding metal in the upper right of the MK3 carrier bearing is the part that is disallowing the whole assembly from sliding into place as it should. For that matter, the MK3 bearing is larger in diameter as well. When I initially lined up the MK3 driveshaft under the car, I did so upside-down, which did not allow me to notice this. I am hopeful that a solution exists from my SC400 bearing or the older SC300 bearing.

This is the cut out I made in the transmission tunnel. I used the lower shift boot from an SC300 as a template. Notice the four bolts surrounding the cut out that I have made. These four bolts line up with the SC300 lower shift boot perfectly.

Here is a shot looking down the lower shift boot to the shifter housing of the transmission. The fit is perfect. The extension parts that Neil from Rush recommended and Carson peddled for me from Toyota Japan are perfect. $460 (transmission, bellhousing, and shifter housing extension) sure beats the hell out of $1200 for a Soarer R154.

I have mocked up the C's shifter, mostly to allow me (and you) to see the finish line in sight. Notice the clearance with the ash tray area. 1.125" more forward, and it is bad news. Where it sits, it is perfect.

Here is the last teaser shot of the night.

The transmission mount is going to be up next. After that, I will install the pedals and the clutch master cylinder in anticipation of the driveshaft arriving from Aliga midweek. Once that works swimmingly, I will remove the transmission, install the clutch/flywheel and get this show on the road.
Old 05-10-08, 06:59 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

SEXY!!! Hope to see more progress tomorrow on this thing. Please put the interior together and take pictures in 1/3/5, and 2/4/r to see how everything clears.
Old 05-10-08, 07:45 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent work Blizzy, as always...Looking forward to meetiung you in Texas and riding in your car...

Ryan
Old 05-15-08, 01:16 PM
Kbdread
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sat and read this entire forum, all 16 pages and i am totally impressed with the projects and all the information that you guys give freely to SC400 owners like myself. It is priceless!

I live on a small Caribbean island where there are less than 10 (i have only seen 5) SC300/400, and i own one of them. It is the UZZ32 chassis 92 year model with the 1UZ-FE engine. I love the v8 and i want to convert my auto to a manual gearbox. I was pleasantly surprised when i encountered this forum and the wealth of experience and information in it.

Blizzy, your pictures and detailed progress reports must have taken alot of your time but they are highly appreciated by myself and i'm sure every other SC owner who wished they had gears.
It is very difficult and expensive to get parts shipped to my country and it is even harder when the parts you try do not work, that is why i needed the experience from people like yourself to know what i need without the trial and error.
Please continue the good work and keep those updates comming, i will be right behind you.
Old 05-16-08, 12:41 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kbdread
It is very difficult and expensive to get parts shipped to my country and it is even harder when the parts you try do not work, that is why i needed the experience from people like yourself to know what i need without the trial and error.

Please continue the good work and keep those updates comming.
Once I get teh car fully up and running, I will make a detailed "shopping list" of every last part that is needed to make the conversion go successfully. With all of the items in one's possession, this swap can become a weekend job.

-----------------

On the update front:
- I have received a bunch of necessitites from Toyota this morning. I needed a clutch fork and a clutch release hub (among a few other small parts) to get my transmission fully up to speed.
- I have NOT received my driveshaft from Aliga yet. I am hoping it is on my front step when I get home in 10 minutes. If not, I may be delayed from getting on the road.
- I should have the flywheel, clutch, pedals, and transmission installed or reinstalled by the end of the day on Saturday. There is a chance I could be on the road Sunday. At the worst, I should be up and running by Wednesday of next week.

----------------

Humorously, a girl and her boyfriend just stepped up from the computer next to me here at the library. They were rather disruptive for the 15-20 minutes that they were seated. The girl was researching a recipie for dinner tonight and the guy was researching car parts for his Mustang.

From what I was able to catch, he is doing a Cobra engine conversion on his Mustang, swapping in the DOHC heads, the M112 blower, a locking rear end, and a few other bits.

Bragging to his girlfriend, he said something to the effect of: "Yeah, this is going to cost me well over $10,000. But, it is worth it, right?" She begrudingly replies, "I think you are crazy." I almost chimed in with the same reply, but I kept my mouth shut. In a couple weeks/months, I will let my car do the talking for me.

Last edited by Blizzy; 05-16-08 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-18-08, 05:43 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do it big!

Quick Reply: The start of some V8 madness