Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The start of some V8 madness

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 10:49 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhh, so there is a bolt. got it. have to make sure i have a 24mm socket then. thanks blizzy!
Old 05-31-08, 07:22 AM
Kbdread
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info Blizzy, another question if i may... If i have the option of getting a 6-speed V160 should i take it? I asked scott about his conversion, i know it's a bit more costly, but he hinted that you might know of a reasonable clutch setup and the same adapter will work. Any advice for me on that?
Old 05-31-08, 02:47 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, There is a good deal in the SC classifieds on a adaptor.

Mark, sounds like super progress. I can't wait for you to get it running.
Old 05-31-08, 06:59 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like the progress is coming along well! Cant wait to see it up and running!
Old 06-06-08, 07:46 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stated on 6/4/08
Originally Posted by Blizzy
ps. My clutch line is scheduled to arrive on my door step this afternoon. I am pretty psyched.
?????????....well......?????????

I think he's just trying to keep us in suspense!

KC
Old 06-11-08, 01:51 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys...

It has been a long time.

Last week, I was bolting up my clutch line to the master cylinder. This was the last wrench work required for the whole swap. My blood pressure was high and the anticipation was killing me. Due to the small size constraints and my lack of focus, I cross-threaded the line and it was leaking pressure.

Fustrated as all hell, I took a week off from the car. This is the first I have been on Club Lexus since. I knew that if I posted that I was teaking a week off, the encouragement of the CL faithful would get me back under the car. I really needed a break.

I got under the car again last night. I used some JB Weld to permanently attach the main clutch hard line to the master cylinder and seal the union. It looks nasty; but, -I filled the system with fluid a minute ago and tired it out- it works like a charm.

I have spent the last 20-30 minutes researching the neutral safety switch bypass. I am going to head to the hardware store to get what I need so that I can be on my way. The car itself is on the ground and ready to rock as soon as I get that 12V run under the driver's side dash to the neutral safety switch wire. I would be disappointed if I was not pulling out of the garage by dinnertime.

I apologize for the delay in getting this beast running. I really just needed to get my mind on something else. I actually put some researching into theorizing a way to break the current water speed record for a man-powered watercraft of 21.7mph by an MIT engineering team. I also got some planning done for next school year.

It feels good enough to have the car on the ground fully assembled and ready to rock. I imainge it will feel much more rewarding to pull away and get used to the new set up while I break in my clutch.

I will definitely have updates on the progress as I debug the system. I imagine there will still be work to be done before I can offically close the book on this 5MT chapter and open the file on the supercharger build up.

I will have videos of the beast as soon as possible. I have a number of pictures I took from a week ago that I still need to upload.

-Mark
Old 06-11-08, 03:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Glab to hear you are back to the build Blizzy. Have you figured out how to make the speedo work yet?
Old 06-11-08, 03:22 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

We are all rooting for you and we all know the frustrations of set backs.

Good luck.

Keep up the Epic WIN
Old 06-12-08, 12:19 PM
Kbdread
Driver School Candidate

Happy to see you back Blizzy, i know how it is ... sometimes you just have to put your mind on something else for a while, it is amazing how things work out after you take that break. Looking forwad to the pics..
Old 06-13-08, 04:49 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And... and... and.....
Old 06-13-08, 08:06 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

The neutral safety swith override was a success. The car started up on the first crank (as it should have). It was nice to hear eight cylinders after such a long time with only four at my disposal.

The JB Weld on the cross-threaded clutch line/master cylinder sprouted a leak in one spot. I have reinforced that spot as well as the rest of the area where the compound has been laid down. I am hoping that it will stick for me. The cure time of 16 hours comes to a close at 1pm this afternoon.

If the cold weld doesn't hold, I will likely have to break down and get another master cylinder and main clutch line. Fortuntely, there is a yard in western Ohio that has one available. I have them on call for the part, and I may end up heading down to ****** it up this afternoon or Saturday if my spot treatment with the cold weld ends up being a failure.

Fingers are crossed.

ps. I am going to get the pictures from my camera onto the computer here this afternoon so that I can upload them to the forum. HOpefully I can share an initial driving impression when I do.
Old 06-13-08, 11:25 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

why don't you try working the threads? you might be able to save them
Old 06-13-08, 02:54 PM
CTS-SC4
Driver School Candidate

He's right Mark, you could possible get a tap & die set and salvage it with some fresh threads and some teflon tape. The teflon tape does wonders it's saved me a couple of times. Good luck with everything man.
Old 06-13-08, 04:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

what did you do to make the neutral safety ting to work? post some pics if you can.
Old 06-13-08, 05:12 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=327356 thats a thread on the neutral safety thing. even tho you already posted in the thread.....

Quick Reply: The start of some V8 madness