Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The start of some V8 madness

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 05:39 AM
flyspyder5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and what bellhousing are u using, sorry im not lexus familiar. i'd like to to a big single on a 1uz for my next supra and i know the w58 wont handl it
Old 10-18-07, 06:04 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyspyder5
a few things... first off... torsen lsd's= very weak. clutch packs... wiht metal clutches... much stronger. torsens are very smooth, but cannot handle shock loading for ****... so dont even think about clutch dropping on that diff...
I think the Torsen is like any other part on any car, if you abuse too much, things will break.

KC
Old 10-18-07, 07:32 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a few things... first off... torsen lsd's= very weak. clutch packs... wiht metal clutches... much stronger. torsens are very smooth, but cannot handle shock loading for ****... so dont even think about clutch dropping on that diff...
The Torsen is not as strong as a TRD Clutch type...that is for sure. But, it is plenty strong to handle 6-8psi and ~350whp. A number of Supra guys have taken their Torsen LSD's deep into the 11's. For a fast street car, the Torsen can't be beat in my opinion.

and what bellhousing are u using, sorry im not lexus familiar. i'd like to to a big single on a 1uz for my next supra and i know the w58 wont handl it
The bellhousing is a JZ-R154 bellhousing with a TTC Performance adapter plate to mate to the 1UZ. There are similar products sold in Australia, but shipping is a royal pain in the behind. These are pretty much your options.

--------------------------

I have a good deal of information to share with everyone in regards to my project. I have no time to do so tonight: parent-teacher conferences tommorow...sigh.

I will give an update of my project in the coming days. I have accumulated a few parts, and I have a few parts on a UPS truck.
Old 10-20-07, 05:25 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Hey, I found your thread because I am trying to source parts to do my own conversion (1jzgte/R154 from a JZA70) into a nissan 240sx. Since it is hard to get a soarer R154 I found the part numbers you gave out earlier from Neil

Housing, Shifter 33521-24040
Control Shift Lever 33570-24010

Does that give me the "swan" style shifter?..

Is there any way to get OEM part numbers for the external shifter pictured here??
Old 10-21-07, 05:44 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Hey, I found your thread because I am trying to source parts to do my own conversion (1jzgte/R154 from a JZA70) into a nissan 240sx. Since it is hard to get a soarer R154 I found the part numbers you gave out earlier from Neil

Housing, Shifter 33521-24040
Control Shift Lever 33570-24010

Does that give me the "swan" style shifter?..

Is there any way to get OEM part numbers for the external shifter pictured here??
To install a remote shifter on the MKIII Supra R154 would require the entire tail section of the transmission to be swapped. I do not have the part numbers for those parts.

To use the MKIII Supra trans and adjust the shifter location via the swan-neck shifter from the 91-93 JZZ30 Soarer, you will need the two parts above in addition to the shifter itself (33530-24030).

I am STILL awaiting a quote from Carson on the shifter...

Regardless, the two part numbers you quoted plus the shifter itself (# above) can be sourced from Carson Toyota for a decent fare to successfully convert the transmission shifter location to work with the SC, MKIV Supra, and most Nissan platforms.
Old 10-22-07, 11:07 AM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just learned something very very interesting this morning
I'm also hunting for 5spd swap parts, and while researching, found this:

that's an Aisin AR5 (which I've read is very similar to an R154)
from
a...

wait for it

.....PONTIAC SOLSTICE!

Check out that sexy piece of stamped steel, moving the shifter back.

Now the 1 Trillion dollar question. what top plate is it using, and will that top plate and shifter work on a R154.
If so, what I'd do, is get that top plate and all other parts to convert to that shift setup, and if need be, just make a bracket that goes from the rear trans mount to the bottom of the steel gear shift bracket.
I've read here http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25024
that the shifter would sit 4" back from the soarer geart shift location, too far obviously, BUT I could probably lose some of that with adapting a 1UZ bellhousing to an R154 or perhaps also modifying the solstice setup slightly

Last edited by LEXpert; 10-22-07 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-22-07, 04:08 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXpert
I just learned something very very interesting this morning
I'm also hunting for 5spd swap parts, and while researching, found this:

that's an Aisin AR5 (which I've read is very similar to an R154)
from
a...

wait for it

.....PONTIAC SOLSTICE!

Check out that sexy piece of stamped steel, moving the shifter back.

Now the 1 Trillion dollar question. what top plate is it using, and will that top plate and shifter work on a R154.
If so, what I'd do, is get that top plate and all other parts to convert to that shift setup, and if need be, just make a bracket that goes from the rear trans mount to the bottom of the steel gear shift bracket.
I've read here http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25024
that the shifter would sit 4" back from the soarer geart shift location, too far obviously, BUT I could probably lose some of that with adapting a 1UZ bellhousing to an R154 or perhaps also modifying the solstice setup slightly
The bellhousing adapter buys you no space. The adapter is ~1/2" in thickness, which is the difference in the engine positionings between the 1UZ and the JZ engines within the SC's engine bay. Take a V160 and mount it in the tranny tunnel: you will be ~0.5" from reaching the block with your bellhousing. The advantage of this is that the MKIII front Driveshaft trick on the JZA70 R154 should still work with the transmission sitting identically in the tranny tunnel to where it would on the JZ engine

I am in the process of talking with Neil about the exact model of the short shifter, because I believe I have stumbled across it on the internet. Until I confirm, I would hate to have people jumping all over it and wasting their money. But, I have found a source for ~$300, which should trump damn near any price out there so long as Neil can indeed confirm that what I have found is correct.

In my opinion, the short shifter discovery I am stumbling upon could be huge since the other two parts required for the JZA70 trans to accept the short shifter cost under $100 shipped.
Old 10-22-07, 04:23 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

which bellhousing adapter are you using?

I've got my hands on the bellhousing from an LS430 transmission, and it looks to be a little shorter than the one off the A340E, thought I've yet to accurately measure both.

Current problem I have is finding the pedals from a manual SC300. Never sold in Canada = pain in the ***. There are more Soarers in Canada than SC300s, and of coure they're RHD. I do suppose there's a slim chance that the Soarer clutch pedal would work, but I'd have to go and look. The brake pedal for sure won't work, as it's bent the opposite way from the LHD pedals to clear the steering shaft.

Does anyone know if the SC300 had a dead pedal? In other words, do I need to remove mine for clutch pedal clearance?

Last edited by LEXpert; 10-22-07 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-22-07, 05:15 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

TTC Performance sells the adapter plate. They are the only one in North America that does.

Pedal sets are darn near impossible to come by. There were only some 3k 5MT's made from the factory. It might come to sacking up and just forking over the cash to the dealer for the parts.
Old 10-22-07, 06:13 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

For the price of the short shifter and the oem parts, it seems like a better setup to just modify the housing like the nissan/lexus guys are doing. That way you have a stock supra R154 shifter than can accept the supra short shifter.
Old 10-22-07, 10:19 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blizzy
TTC Performance sells the adapter plate. They are the only one in North America that does.

Pedal sets are darn near impossible to come by. There were only some 3k 5MT's made from the factory. It might come to sacking up and just forking over the cash to the dealer for the parts.
I tried that they're telling me it's no longer available. However I'm going to contact a dealership in the states to see if they're a little more on the ball.

Perhaps I'm just stupid (extremely likely), but I don't see an R154 adapter on the TTC site, just a V160 adapter. Are you using that adapter with a 1JZ bellhousing on an R154 or is there something else they offer that I can't find. Have you decided on a flywheel? There's someone on Lextreme that's casting them in small numbers, at a reasonable price. I'm not totally sold on the modded 3S or 2JZ flywheel that some people use.

Last edited by LEXpert; 10-22-07 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-23-07, 08:52 AM
c0wboy
Banned

The R154 will bolt up the the V160 adapter as long as the trans originated from a JZ series Toyota motor. The 1jz and 2jz have the same bolt pattern. The adapter itself is 3/4" thick total, being comprised of (2) 3/8" plates.

Thanks man,

Eric
Old 10-25-07, 11:33 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Huge news!

I found a C's Short Shifter for the early version of the JZZ30 Soarer transmission! I have been searching a good 10-20 hours online, sending email after email to find where one can be had from.

I went straight through Japanese websites, and found it:
$32k Yen = $280

This shifter would have costed me $500 to acquire through middle men via Australia. Clearly, eliminating the middle man is huge. This brings the JZA70-JZZ30 trans conversion (w/ short shifter!) to under $400 using quality Genuine Parts! Holy crap!

Best of all: the shipping quote was through EMS, which goes pretty damn fast. I am pumped!
Old 10-25-07, 11:46 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats good to hear man. Your car is going to be a monster when its done.
Old 10-26-07, 07:35 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

How much did you pay for the R154 box?
I found one local, and I'm trying to figure out how much to offer

Quick Reply: The start of some V8 madness