Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The start of some V8 madness

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 02:52 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I just got done putting an LS460 8-speed in my SC400.......... Car doesn't move anymore Great work, man!
Old 01-04-08, 12:24 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daSC4
I love your project! Your SC will be super rare.
Any updates?
Thanks for the comments. One of my goals is to have an uncommon car without breaking the bank. I can't wait to get down to business. I am close to actually getting my hands greasy, which is exciting.

Today, I got a big piece of the puzzle: the flywheel. Perhaps more than any other part in my 5MT collection, this is the most rare as it is just about impossible to acquire anywhere but Lextreme. In the past weeks/months, I have also acquired some other vital parts to the project.

Monday, I pulled the trigger on a cheapo daily driver so that my SC could officially be disabled for the winter to stay out of the snow AND get a 5MT transplant. This was a small step. Getting a house will be the big step. I meet with a realtor on Monday. I hope to have a place picked out by the end of the month. From what I have seen online, the market is saturated with homes in the area I would most like to live.

Further research has led me to believe that the 4.27 gears I originally planned for this build will be too aggressive and result in a granny gear for first (ie. I will only be able to hook up at partial throttle). One of my research interests in the coming weeks will be to see if there is any interchangeability in R&P gear sets between different Toyota models of 200mm differentials (like ours). My calculations have yielded an optimal rear end ratio of 3.4-3.6. The 3.26 from the 98+ SC400/GS400 is slightly too conservative and the 3.76 from the TT Auto is a bit too aggressive. I am hopeful I can find a gearset in my target range that will be cross compatible.

Below are some photos of the parts I have acquired recently.

This flywheel is awesome. It looks much more professional that I imagined it would be:

These parts were tough to come by. But, I found a 5MT being parted out and grabbed the clutch master, clutch pedal, 5MT brake pedal, and hard clutch line:

For the S/C project, I purchased a TT SMIC. It is cost effective, able to flow enough air for the power I will be making, and it helps keep the car under the radar. The piping will also help minimize the amount of wild pipe fabrications necessary to plumb the intake:

I am going to use the 7MGE injectors cleverly with an adjustable FPR to allow them to work with the stock ECU/tune. With the added help of an adjustable FMU, I should have all the fuel needed to safely boost 8psi (a wideband will allow me to tinker safely with the FMU rise rate to make the fuel system most effective):

Scott was nice enough to practically give me the stock shift **** he doesn't need for his 6MT swap (drool). This shift **** is another attempt to use as many genuine Toyota parts for my build:

For now, that is it. When I settle in on a house, you will definitely see much more exciting photos as progress can actually be made. I am anxious for the day when I actually get to pull my trans.
Old 01-04-08, 02:18 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is my first time reading this thread, and i just sat here and read 9 pages nonstop, tottaly in awe and amazement. i was considering selling my 92 sc400 for a 5speed sc300 just for boost, but now u and scott are giving me hope to supercharge my sc4. keep up the good work.

btw: u said u wanted to make this project affordable, how much were u planning on spending, and how much did u actually spend?

same question for scott.
Old 01-04-08, 09:07 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt
this is my first time reading this thread, and i just sat here and read 9 pages nonstop, tottaly in awe and amazement. i was considering selling my 92 sc400 for a 5speed sc300 just for boost, but now u and scott are giving me hope to supercharge my sc4. keep up the good work.

btw: u said u wanted to make this project affordable, how much were u planning on spending, and how much did u actually spend?

same question for scott.
No need to be in awe: I am just a normal guy looking to build a kick *** car on a budget, just like everyone else on the forum.

I toiled with a JZ swap, trading in my V8, etc. Ultimately, I paid good money to get one with 58k miles, and I fell in love with the harmony of the V8 exhaust.

I expected to spend <$3k for the R154 swap, because Neil said to bank on $3k, and I took that s a challenge to spend less without cutting corners. At the moment, I am just under $2,500 having acquires every conceivable part for the swap. To save $500 from the projected cost, it took a lot of searching to find the right part at the right price (a clutch second hand but new in box and a C's for the Soarer early version straight from Japan without am middle man to name a few instances).

As for the supercharger project, I will be acquiring the headunit from a company who rebuilds blown headunits, so I can save a buck there. Given the simplicity of my proposed build (I have not acquired all the parts yet), I am looking at another ~$2500 to have boost.

All told, with suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, tint, the car itself, a 5MT swap, and the S/C build, I should be right around $20k. Considering how bad *** the car will be (in my opinion), I think that is money well spent. I wil enjoy driving the car for YEARS to come.

If you already have the V8, I say stick with it. If I chose to do a W58 swap instead of an R154 swap, I could have saved myself $800-$1000 from what I have spent now. If I had to guess, the V8 with a stick and a mean exhaust would by itself make a very satisfying driving experience.

Ultimately, you have to make your own decisions; but, if you have a some ability in a garage (I am no master mechanic), you can make the SC shine. My best advice is to focus your financial efforts for something great. The SC400 does not take well to the nickel and dime mods, and they end up offering you poor value. A full exhaust with headers, a X-pipe, and two Magnaflows: $1000-$1500 for 20hp. A value-minded supercharger build at 8psi: $2500 for 150hp.

Embrace the V8. Making torque earlier in the power band by way of the additional displacement (compared to the 3L) is irreplaceable. More available torque makes cars more fun to drive in more driving situations.
Old 01-04-08, 10:16 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Very nice.

The beauty of sourcing the conversion parts to turn the JZA70 Supra MK3 R154 into the Soarer "swan style" shifter is that JZA70 R154s are plentiful in the states. If you blow your $100 tranny, go buy another $100 tranny. I love that!

Did you ever receive the R154 conversion parts from Carson? I'm pretty sure I will go the conversion route as you have done to get a R154 into my car. I have seriously considered going single!
Old 01-04-08, 02:15 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

same question for scott.
Originally Posted by Blizzy
I expected to spend <$3k for the R154 swap, because Neil said to bank on $3k, and I took that s a challenge to spend less without cutting corners. At the moment, I am just under $2,500 having acquires every conceivable part for the swap.

As for the supercharger project, I am looking at another ~$2500 to have boost.

All told, with suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, tint, the car itself, a 5MT swap, and the S/C build, I should be right around $20k

Embrace the V8. Making torque earlier in the power band by way of the additional displacement (compared to the 3L) is irreplaceable. More available torque makes cars more fun to drive in more driving situations.

As always Mark, you have spoken brilliantly sharing a wealth of GOOD information. I have condensed your statement to reply on those areas.

First is your manual swap, I am impressed with all the research you have done. To think about a manual swap for $2500 would just be a dream. I think what you are doing has much more impact on the Club Lexus SC400 owners than what I am doing. A great deal of the SC400 owners are very cost consciences and you are showing them a affordable route to a fun to drive performance car. Keep up the good work.

Second is in response to $2500 for a boosted SC400. Ditto on what I just said above.

Last is your total investment. Wow! That is a very affordable performance luxury coupe! And totally different from the rest of the cars out there. Hats off to you Mark, Hats off!

The last statement you made about the V8, I got to go with you on that. It may not be a 1000HP dyno queen, but streetability, Reliability, and fun to drive, That’s what V8 performance is all about. A boosted V8 with a manual tranny behind it? Oh yeah, hang on this is going to be fun!

Pmpdaddyt,
In response to your question on how much I have spent. OUCH!@%%$#@!!!!!
Let’s just say I passed Blizzy’s total investment when I put my rims on my 97 SC, Yes its that bad!

I have got great deals on many parts for my car and have done a ton of buying, selling and re selling to get my car where it is. I am a wheelin, dealin fool! If I were going to throw a number out on the table I wouldn’t have a clue, I quit adding some time ago. I will say that if you could build a really clean 97 + SC with all the mods on my list below for less than $50,000 I think you are doing pretty good, It could go a lot higher than that in a hurry.

Once my stage one build is done the list will look something like this.

97 Lexus SC400 Diamond Pearl white

Wheels - Work Rezax II's, Lightweight 3 Piece Forged Design
Fronts Wheels – 20”x 9” wide with 36 offset (2 ½” lip)
Rears Wheels – 20” x 10” wide with 35 offset (3 ½” lip)
3 ¾” drop
All four fenders are rolled
Authentic JIC Magic Body kit
Eaton M90 supercharger flowed by Magnaport
Adaptronics stand alone
JIC coilovers
TT Front and rear Brakes
IRotors Front and rear
Braided brake lines
BFI Intake Mod
Walbro Fuel pump
315 cc injectors
Aeromotive Regulator
Optima battery w/billet box
S & S Headers
Custom built Dual 2 1/2" mandrel stainless exhaust
Magnaflow hi-flow cats
Magnaflow X-Pipe
Magnaflow resonators
Magnaflow Mufflers & tips,
Quarter master clutch assembly
TT 6 speed LSD Rear-end
TT rear subframe assembly
Recaro Leather Trend seats
Matching leather custom sewn rear seat
Light weight tension pulley
Gages mounted in custom glove box panel fabricated from Carbon fiber
Auto meter carbon fiber series Pyrometer gauge
Auto meter carbon fiber series Oil pressure gauge
Auto meter carbon fiber series Voltage gauge
Auto meter carbon fiber series Boost gauge
Auto meter carbon fiber series Fuel pressure gauge
AEM wide band 02 gauge
Second AEM wide band 02 gauge for left bank of cylinders
Sylvania Silver Star High and low beams
Supra TT Getrag 6-speed
Custom one off two tone interior
Devils own Methanol injection
Hurst Line lock
2000 perforated leather 3 spoke steering wheel
Custom Wood interior parts
Stillway shifter
PWR 4 core aluminum radiator
Twin Zirgo electric fans w/aluminum shroud

I know I am missing a ton of details on this list but this was just off the top of my head. This is my stage one list, stage II is going to be centered around boost and the engine. FYI I pretty much have every part on the list above I already have with the exception of a couple I am just waiting for.

OK, Enough on my costly build, Back to Marks informative build.

Last edited by ScottURnot; 01-04-08 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 04:27 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Good work Blizzy seems like everything is working out for you now!

And to Scott, Good God Man! You got a money tree that's sprouting in your backyard??
Old 01-04-08, 07:51 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I expected to spend <$3k for the R154 swap, because Neil said to bank on $3k, and I took that s a challenge to spend less without cutting corners. At the moment, I am just under $2,500 having acquires every conceivable part for the swap. To save $500 from the projected cost, it took a lot of searching to find the right part at the right price (a clutch second hand but new in box and a C's for the Soarer early version straight from Japan without am middle man to name a few instances).

As for the supercharger project, I will be acquiring the headunit from a company who rebuilds blown headunits, so I can save a buck there. Given the simplicity of my proposed build (I have not acquired all the parts yet), I am looking at another ~$2500 to have boost.
Wow, less than 3k for the tranny swap, I'm impressed. I figured it would be quite a bit more. Not that I plan on doing it any time soon.

You shouldn't have any problem doing the supercharger for $2500. Of course it all depends on how much you spend on the head unit. I'm probably at about the $2500 mark with the supercharger, bracket, IC, piping, pullies, belt, colder plugs, fan conversion ect. Lots of misc hardware here and there. I'm not including the wideband or the MAFTPro to be within the $2500.

I do at this point feel like I have about 2500 man hours into it though. LOL.

KC

Last edited by KC95SC400; 01-04-08 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 08:25 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Mark,

Some MAF info I'm sure you wouldn't mind having.

I did manage to locate my MAF before the supercharger. It's a very tight squeeze however. If you plan on trying your MAF on the inlet, I would reccomend you remove all the metal underneath the battery. The only thing holding it on is a couple of spot welds and some body sealer, it comes up suprisingly easy.

My first idea was to use the stock intake (the hose and the plastic intake peice between the MAF and the throttle body normally) to run under the headlight. I removed the resonator / air chamber from the intake, then sealed the hole. Put it on the supercharger inlet and it runs just about perfectly under the headlight. Then I used the rubber hose inbetween the MAF and the intake with a big K&N being last. The only reason that this won't work for me is because I have fog lights, not enough space. It might work for your setup, but I would be very carefull to make sure that no water can get to the filter.

I ended up using some 3 inch piping I have leftover to run to the MAF, then the filter directly on the other side. The filter was wedged a bit tight between my fog lights and the washer resivoir.

And of course, you need to extend the wiring from the original MAF location.

My MAF has been nothing but trouble for me since I've put boost on it, so maybe that is why it didn't work out for me. After I had it relocated, I started the car and it ran fine for a while untill the idle dropped and the engine warmed up. Then all hell broke loose, misfires like hell. I tried to clean the MAF, which killed it for about two days BTW, and it didn't help.

So I have re-re-located back to the outlet side, and it is working better, but it's still pretty funky.

I really hope to get the SD thing working, like I said, I've had nothing but trouble with the MAF since boosting it.

KC
Old 01-04-08, 11:28 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No need to be in awe: I am just a normal guy looking to build a kick *** car on a budget, just like everyone else on the forum.

I toiled with a JZ swap, trading in my V8, etc. Ultimately, I paid good money to get one with 58k miles, and I fell in love with the harmony of the V8 exhaust.

All told, with suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, tint, the car itself, a 5MT swap, and the S/C build, I should be right around $20k. Considering how bad *** the car will be (in my opinion), I think that is money well spent. I wil enjoy driving the car for YEARS to come.

If you already have the V8, I say stick with it. If I chose to do a W58 swap instead of an R154 swap, I could have saved myself $800-$1000 from what I have spent now. If I had to guess, the V8 with a stick and a mean exhaust would by itself make a very satisfying driving experience.

Ultimately, you have to make your own decisions; but, if you have a some ability in a garage (I am no master mechanic), you can make the SC shine. My best advice is to focus your financial efforts for something great. The SC400 does not take well to the nickel and dime mods, and they end up offering you poor value. A full exhaust with headers, a X-pipe, and two Magnaflows: $1000-$1500 for 20hp. A value-minded supercharger build at 8psi: $2500 for 150hp.

Mark: I am in total agreement with Scott on how well you have done with your build, and the costs you have kept it down to...I am impressed with your attention to detail, and the excellent write ups and tutorials you have posted up for the community...As Scott said, again, I believe what you are doing is a most excellent example for many on the boards here to follow. Very affordable for what you will end up with. I know I have gone crazy on mine, and do not expect many to go my route, as the costs are long past $20,000. I, like Scott, stopped counting, for many reasons, but one being that it is so much, I do not even want to know anymore...But since I am keeping the car, and it and the project are long ago paid for now, except for the few mods I have still to spend money on, such as interior details, paint, and a few plumbing upgrades, I am done spending money.

Make sure you get to the V8 shootout in TX. V8's in 08!! Can't wait!!

Ryan
Old 01-05-08, 06:40 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

To everyone: Thanks for the kind words. Your comments are valued very much.

I have researched hard, and I have tried even harder to share the most accurate, useful, and objective findings of mine with the community to help take our Lexus vehicles to the next level. Ultimately, this is all to give back to a community that has given me the spark of enthusiasm to develop a passion for my car.

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Make sure you get to the V8 shootout in TX.
If I am able to make it to this, I will be there. Once the date is set, I will know for certain. Being a teacher, I am not always available (even on weekends) during the school year.

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I really hope to get the SD thing working, like I said, I've had nothing but trouble with the MAF since boosting it.
It is not exactly confidence inspiring that the MAF is struggling so much with boost on your car. I am confident that the speed density set up will work for you in due time, and that it will be totally awesome. As for the MAF, I am hopeful for its use given that the Supra guys make 16psi on it when they upgrade their stock unit.

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Last is your total investment. Wow! That is a very affordable performance luxury coupe! And totally different from the rest of the cars out there. Hats off to you Mark, Hats off!
This means a lot. Unfortunately, the journey is not done just yet. There is still a lot of hard work to do and a number of parts to accumulate.

Every step of the way, I have tried to make a conscious effort to acquire the highest quality parts on a budget. The classic adage is that you can only have two of the following at any given time: speed, reliability, and low costs. I am doing my best to find the point where I can jointly maximize speed and minimize costs without sacrificing a lick of reliability. Using as many Genuine Toyota Parts as possible is definitely helping my cause.

Originally Posted by shern
Did you ever receive the R154 conversion parts from Carson?
I have not. I am going to PM them now and call one day this week if I don't hear from them. Meeting with a realtor in a few days, I want to make sure that I have my parts so that when I do finally have a garage to work with, I can get down to business to start throwing around gears.
Old 01-05-08, 10:44 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are sick.... Extremely sick V8 owners.... My hat also goes off to:
SC400TT
Scott
KC95SC400
Blizzy..

Very inspirational....

Lets make it happen...... V8-08

Last edited by Lextreme; 01-06-08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 02:31 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lextreme
You guys are sicks.... Extremely sick V8 owners.... My hat also goes off to:
SC400TT
Scott
KC95SC400
Blizzy..

Very inspirational....

Lets make it happen...... V8-08
Lex,

Thanks for the compliment.

I am however, not even close to being in the same league as the other three gentlemen mentioned. Mostly because I just don’t have the money though.

I might be able to make the V8 in 08 meet, but probably not. Please let me know when a date is set in stone.

KC
Old 01-06-08, 08:39 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I am however, not even close to being in the same league as the other three gentlemen mentioned.
I am going to have to disagree here. You pioneered a set up that may well be used by dozens of SC4 guys in the future. I -for one- am your first apprentice in that regard. You have toiled and tussled with your SC so many hours, and your findings will ultimately make my time under the hood ten times more efficient than it would have been otherwise.
Old 01-06-08, 08:53 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I am going to have to disagree here. You pioneered a set up that may well be used by dozens of SC4 guys in the future. I -for one- am your first apprentice in that regard. You have toiled and tussled with your SC so many hours, and your findings will ultimately make my time under the hood ten times more efficient than it would have been otherwise.
Thanks Mark,

Regardless of whos the teacher and whos the student, you always inspire me. I may have given up a while ago if I didn't have you to vent to.

KC

Quick Reply: The start of some V8 madness