Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 12v Fuel Mod w/ Pictures - FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 01:58 PM
ArTofSoaR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you fellas are disconnecting bat cables before touching any wires together
Old 09-23-11, 04:22 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ArTofSoaR
I hope you fellas are disconnecting bat cables before touching any wires together
its a 12v switched circuit, so unless they are doing it with the ignition on, there isnt a problem, but yes still a good idea to disconnect the battery.

Those of you doing this mod, please dont cheap out and use wire nuts or butt-connectors. Do it once, and do it right. Solder and heat-tube it. There is a good area around the connection to ground out on and cause issues if the connection isnt solid.
Old 12-27-11, 08:15 PM
scweetfl02
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

quick question.. this mod was done on my sc and i still have no clue how the cables melted. can someone explain to me what happened? my old pump still works but i bought a walbro 255 cause i thought the old one had taken a dump.
Old 12-30-11, 09:37 AM
scweetfl02
Driver School Candidate

I just recently did this mod to my sc but its running sorta rich.. It dailys at around 13.0- 11.5 it's jumps around alot... Any suggestions?
Old 12-30-11, 11:16 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just reread this entire thread from start to finish.

I need some clarification on this issue. No one answered this directly, just their past experiences. Everyone is chiming in on their problems, then no results form the problem.

I am doing the 1JZ swap into the 400. I am getting ready real soon to start it up. I currently have the 12 volt mod with the TT stock fuel pump in my tank. I have read where some have done this, and some have not. Some have posted to leave it and it will not run without it, and some are saying to undo it due to vapor locking the motor and the fuel pump NOT shutting off.

Can anyone from EXPERIENCE WITH THIS, CHIME IN!!!

I DONT WANT TO RUIN A MOTOR OR MY SETUP...
Old 12-31-11, 06:11 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I just reread this entire thread from start to finish.

I need some clarification on this issue. No one answered this directly, just their past experiences. Everyone is chiming in on their problems, then no results form the problem.

I am doing the 1JZ swap into the 400. I am getting ready real soon to start it up. I currently have the 12 volt mod with the TT stock fuel pump in my tank. I have read where some have done this, and some have not. Some have posted to leave it and it will not run without it, and some are saying to undo it due to vapor locking the motor and the fuel pump NOT shutting off.

Can anyone from EXPERIENCE WITH THIS, CHIME IN!!!

I DONT WANT TO RUIN A MOTOR OR MY SETUP...

IMO, the way everyone is doing it here is not the best way to do it...

Not sure if I've said it before, but I will now, for sure...

The absolute best way to provide constant +12v power to the fuel pump and not have to worry about anything shorting out, or the fuel pump running indefinitely, is to run your own power wire directly from the battery, 10 or 8 gauge wire is sufficient. Run this to a relay that is near the pump... ground the relay, and use the existing power wire to the fuel pump to trigger the relay on and off, then run a new power wire from the relay to the pump itself (there is no need for much larger wire here, as it is very close to the pump anyways).

Been doing this for years on many different cars - it provides better voltage to the pump (due to larger diameter wiring and a direct run), and it also keeps the fuel pump running the same amount all the time, which is easier to tune in the long run.

The one problem many may run into here, however, is that the fuel pump may provide too much fuel at idle and lower rpm, causing the car to run rich because the fuel pressure regulator is not able to bleed off that much fuel (Especially when running an upgraded fuel pump). To fix this issue, the only real way is to run an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator...
Old 12-31-11, 04:26 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Now that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the detailed description on this. I will be using a fuel pressure regulator. With the help of the standalone I think it will help out the possible idle running rich also. Again thanks!
Old 01-06-12, 08:09 PM
92lexi
Rookie

Ive only read to the fourth page and all i can see is a bash on walboro. Im not promoting any fp but honestly i ran 255 walboros in the three dsms i have had (all ran 32 lbs of boost) daily and beat the hell out of them. And they are still going. What i will say is that you cant get the low pressure high volume pumps that are the same quality as about three years ago. And no the if you buy it on ebay, it not the originals that were made in the states... And were iffy by all means. Just my two cents.
Old 01-06-12, 08:12 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Your opinion is noted. I cant speak of any experience using them. I will not even know how the TT will last either until I finish my build. I think they are both great from the reviews that I have read. Some good some bad some iffy. The decision is yours. I hope the TT will perform the best once I do the mod.
Old 01-09-12, 09:46 PM
StuntKing
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

The absolute best way to provide constant +12v power to the fuel pump and not have to worry about anything shorting out, or the fuel pump running indefinitely, is to run your own power wire directly from the battery, 10 or 8 gauge wire is sufficient. Run this to a relay that is near the pump... ground the relay, and use the existing power wire to the fuel pump to trigger the relay on and off, then run a new power wire from the relay to the pump itself (there is no need for much larger wire here, as it is very close to the pump anyways).

Been doing this for years on many different cars - it provides better voltage to the pump (due to larger diameter wiring and a direct run), and it also keeps the fuel pump running the same amount all the time, which is easier to tune in the long run.

The one problem many may run into here, however, is that the fuel pump may provide too much fuel at idle and lower rpm, causing the car to run rich because the fuel pressure regulator is not able to bleed off that much fuel (Especially when running an upgraded fuel pump). To fix this issue, the only real way is to run an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator...

thanks for clearing that up!
Old 01-16-12, 10:37 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

It is essential to perform this last step for a daily driver. You may also need to go with a larger return line to the fuel tank. I recall reading another Forum member was installing one from an early SC into his 1998 because, if I recall correctly, that year did not have a return line to to fuel tank.
Old 02-12-12, 06:10 AM
s1984
Driver

I did this mod this morning too.
My soarer starts like normal but the cold-idle was about ~900-1000RPM.
It´s to low....is this normal?

When i revved it to ~1500RPM it looks good to me.

I´ll drive to my friend in the next hour and we will see what´s happening.
Old 02-12-12, 06:12 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by s1984
I did this mod this morning too.
My soarer starts like normal but the cold-idle was about ~900-1000RPM.
It´s to low....is this normal?

When i revved it to ~1500RPM it looks good to me.

I´ll drive to my friend in the next hour and we will see what´s happening.
Sounds pretty normal to me... Base idle is around 650 rpm, add a few hundred for a cold start and if its really cold, maybe 1100-1200... I wouldn't worry about it...
Old 02-12-12, 12:00 PM
s1984
Driver

Okay.
I will look at this in future...

I drove the car this afternoon and it was like before.
Nothing good or bad happened -that´s it!
Old 04-12-12, 09:30 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

as of 12/25/12 - not sure of my previous comment.. i actually believe because i dont have this now, and that i fixed a few other things i need this bypassed.. ****

Last edited by bryan767; 12-26-12 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: SC300 12v Fuel Mod w/ Pictures - FAQ