Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 12v Fuel Mod w/ Pictures - FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 09:23 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
crimping wires is not your best bet (please tell me no crimped wires inside the fuel tank?)

you should solder and shrink wrap...
So you are suggesting that it is better to have the wires soldered? I have my Walbro wires crimped with supplied hardwares, I also used a minimal amount of electrical tape and tied them with zip ties.

Should I disassemble it and solder or leave it since the car is running fine--- Kinda ( please read more on the bottom ).

Originally Posted by Gunnar
Isn't it a bad idea to put a big Walbro in there if you're bone stock? I have a few NA mods on the car and with the stock fuel pump and stock fuel pressure I still had to take out a bunch of fuel at WOT to keep it from running super pig rich.
As stated from above, the car is running fine but most of the time, there's a difference.

At a stop, when I pressed the accelarator at a full throttle, the car runs fast on first gear and once it switches to second gear it is running rich. It is like the fuel lines are rich in fuel.

Also, when I get gas and fill it up and start it, the car dies. I started it again and give it some gas and it will be fine. I just change the fuel pump with Walbro 255. What could be wrong?

Can someone please answer the 2 questions above. This car is a stock 92 SC400.
Old 01-08-08, 01:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JesLet
So you are suggesting that it is better to have the wires soldered? I have my Walbro wires crimped with supplied hardwares, I also used a minimal amount of electrical tape and tied them with zip ties.

Should I disassemble it and solder or leave it since the car is running fine--- Kinda ( please read more on the bottom ).

As stated from above, the car is running fine but most of the time, there's a difference.

At a stop, when I pressed the accelarator at a full throttle, the car runs fast on first gear and once it switches to second gear it is running rich. It is like the fuel lines are rich in fuel.

Also, when I get gas and fill it up and start it, the car dies. I started it again and give it some gas and it will be fine. I just change the fuel pump with Walbro 255. What could be wrong?

Can someone please answer the 2 questions above. This car is a stock 92 SC400.
Well, the problem we worry about with crimped connections is if it is not done correctly - I suppose the same goes for soldered connections, but either way - if not done well and something comes apart, that air gap could provide a spark - enough to ignite the fuel vapor in the fuel tank... Soldered wires are typically more foolproof and harder to vibrate apart than a standard crimp connection...

As far as why it's running bad, well, lots of things could cause your issue, but one of the potential issues is that the pump is overflowing the demand for fuel once high voltage is applied to it, thus overrunning the ability of the fuel pressure regulator and fuel return line, causing excess pressure in the fuel rail, causing the injectors to flow more than the ecu thinks they are flowing, causing a rich run condition... the only way to tell for sure is to watch fuel pressure as you drive...
Old 01-08-08, 01:40 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Thanks. I think I'll be okay.
Old 04-29-08, 03:18 PM
sc300jas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock 92 sc300, when I try to start the engine when it's warm, it will start and then die. I have to start it like 3-4 times sometimes. This mod will fix the problem? Thanks!
Old 05-13-08, 06:14 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc250tt
.This is where a walbro comes in ,there is no way a supra pump is gonna flow more fuel than a walbro fuel
pump. If this was right then why mostly everyone with supras/boosted sc are running walbros .A smart tuner won,t even touch a car with stock fuel trying to pull 600 hp.
No, this is absolute crap advice. There is significant backlash against Walbro pumps all over the supraforums because of pump failure and the fact that the Denso oem supra tt pump out flows it.

good quote regarding QC: "They just up an fail randomly. They start functioning intermittently when stressed. Some just never work right.
I think that when you get a 'good' Walbro, its a good pump. The flipside is that the quality control seems to suck and I'm not the kinda guy who wants to weed out the bad pumps from the good pumps when the fate of my engine hangs in the balance."

Here are a couple of related threads with some good conversation about the benefits of using Denso OEM MKIV Supra TT pumps.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...t=denso+walbro

Old 05-13-08, 06:57 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCoupe
No, this is absolute crap advice. There is significant backlash against Walbro pumps all over the supraforums because of pump failure and the fact that the Denso oem supra tt pump out flows it.

good quote regarding QC: "They just up an fail randomly. They start functioning intermittently when stressed. Some just never work right.
I think that when you get a 'good' Walbro, its a good pump. The flipside is that the quality control seems to suck and I'm not the kinda guy who wants to weed out the bad pumps from the good pumps when the fate of my engine hangs in the balance."

Here are a couple of related threads with some good conversation about the benefits of using Denso OEM MKIV Supra TT pumps.

Crap advice? They do flow better than the Denso pumps .Im using a denso supra pump in my sc .Walbros might flow more but the quality will never be as good as a Denso .FYI my buddy's walbro just failed after 2 months of driving. I dont think the walbro's on ebay are any good .We all know ebay is famous for knockoffs and i bet you those guys on sf got it from ebay.But if you think denso pumps flow better than walbro's then more power to you .

Last edited by sc250tt; 05-13-08 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:52 AM
LyFeWoRx
Pole Position

Just an update. It's been almost a year and everything is running great! Gas mileage is still good. No problems at all.

The car hasn't had a hard time starting once!

Thanks,

Michael
Old 05-13-08, 03:18 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Crap advice? They do flow better than the Denso pumps .Im using a denso supra pump in my sc .Walbros might flow more but the quality will never be as good as a Denso .FYI my buddy's walbro just failed after 2 months of driving. I dont think the walbro's on ebay are any good .We all know ebay is famous for knockoffs and i bet you those guys on sf got it from ebay.But if you think denso pumps flow better than walbro's then more power to you .
Run both the Walbro and Denso fuel pumps at say 13.5 volts and the Denso will outlflow the Walbro..it's been proven.

Last edited by dejacky; 05-15-08 at 06:10 PM. Reason: I was off by 1.5 volts, thanks SCoupe
Old 05-13-08, 04:25 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jas
I have a stock 92 sc300, when I try to start the engine when it's warm, it will start and then die. I have to start it like 3-4 times sometimes. This mod will fix the problem? Thanks!
mine does this (occasionally) as well, anyone?
Old 05-13-08, 10:12 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Crap advice? .
urban myth, fixing something that's not broken. The Denso manufactured oem MKIV TT is one of the top in tank pumps available. Walbros are dicey since they are not meant for the high pressure that a well boosted car requires. Stop promoting them here.

Read KenHenderson of SP Engineering post #3 right here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...t=denso+walbro

This work from jeff Lucius from links at Supra Forums does not address the fact that these pumps have reliability issues at high pressure: http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

"The Denso fuel pump 195130-1020 (the Supra Turbo MKIV pump) is one of the best in-tank upgrade choices if you are using injectors up to 550 cc/min and are providing at least 13 volts to the pump. When 18 volts are supplied, the Supra pump is good for injectors up to 880 cc/min. At 13.5 supplied volts no other in-tank pump, except for the R33 Skyline GT-R and A'PEXi BNR32 fuel pumps, flows significantly more fuel up to 70 psi line pressure or 27 psi boost. It is a direct drop-in replacement; all other non-Denso choices require some modification to the fuel pump assembly. It is as quiet as the stock pump. Best of all, it can cost only $180 at Conicelli Toyota. One disadvantage of the Supra pump is its relatively heavy current draw (at 13.5 V, 16A @ 43 psi, 19A @ 70 psi) and large decrease in flow as supplied voltage lowers. Good, heavy-gauge wiring (meaning re-wiring the fuel pump electrical circuit) is a requirement to get the most out of this pump.

The Walbro GSS341 model (also called the 255 lph HP) flows a little less than the Supra Turbo pump up to about 67 psi line pressure (24 psi boost), when 13.5 volts are supplied to both pumps. However, at 12 supplied volts, the Walbro GSS341 outflows the Denso 195130-1020 above 55 psi line pressure (compare John Cribb's Supra pump data to the Walbro charts). Like the Supra fuel pump, the Walbro GSS341 is an excellent choice for 450 cc/min injectors, especially if the fuel pump has not been re-wired (12 supplied volts). Also like the Supra pump, it can be used with up to 610 cc/min injectors if 13.5 volts are supplied, and up to 720 cc/min injectors if at least 16 volts are supplied. The Walbro GSS341 draws about half as much current (at 13.5 V, 8A @ 43 psi, 10A @ 70 psi) as the Supra fuel pump. Some slight modification to the fuel pump assembly is required and it may not be as quiet as the Denso pumps. The price is even less than the Supra pump at $100 to $150."
Attached Thumbnails SC300 12v Fuel Mod w/ Pictures - FAQ-flowtest-densowalbro.gif  

Last edited by SCoupe; 05-13-08 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 09:52 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCoupe
urban myth, fixing something that's not broken. The Denso manufactured oem MKIV TT is one of the top in tank pumps available. Walbros are dicey since they are not meant for the high pressure that a well boosted car requires. Stop promoting them here.

Read KenHenderson of SP Engineering post #3 right here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...t=denso+walbro

This work from jeff Lucius from links at Supra Forums does not address the fact that these pumps have reliability issues at high pressure: http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

"The Denso fuel pump 195130-1020 (the Supra Turbo MKIV pump) is one of the best in-tank upgrade choices if you are using injectors up to 550 cc/min and are providing at least 13 volts to the pump. When 18 volts are supplied, the Supra pump is good for injectors up to 880 cc/min. At 13.5 supplied volts no other in-tank pump, except for the R33 Skyline GT-R and A'PEXi BNR32 fuel pumps, flows significantly more fuel up to 70 psi line pressure or 27 psi boost. It is a direct drop-in replacement; all other non-Denso choices require some modification to the fuel pump assembly. It is as quiet as the stock pump. Best of all, it can cost only $180 at Conicelli Toyota. One disadvantage of the Supra pump is its relatively heavy current draw (at 13.5 V, 16A @ 43 psi, 19A @ 70 psi) and large decrease in flow as supplied voltage lowers. Good, heavy-gauge wiring (meaning re-wiring the fuel pump electrical circuit) is a requirement to get the most out of this pump.

The Walbro GSS341 model (also called the 255 lph HP) flows a little less than the Supra Turbo pump up to about 67 psi line pressure (24 psi boost), when 13.5 volts are supplied to both pumps. However, at 12 supplied volts, the Walbro GSS341 outflows the Denso 195130-1020 above 55 psi line pressure (compare John Cribb's Supra pump data to the Walbro charts). Like the Supra fuel pump, the Walbro GSS341 is an excellent choice for 450 cc/min injectors, especially if the fuel pump has not been re-wired (12 supplied volts). Also like the Supra pump, it can be used with up to 610 cc/min injectors if 13.5 volts are supplied, and up to 720 cc/min injectors if at least 16 volts are supplied. The Walbro GSS341 draws about half as much current (at 13.5 V, 8A @ 43 psi, 10A @ 70 psi) as the Supra fuel pump. Some slight modification to the fuel pump assembly is required and it may not be as quiet as the Denso pumps. The price is even less than the Supra pump at $100 to $150."
Not everything you read on the web is 100% correct .The Op is telling people that the 12v mod is safe and he had been driving over a year on it (altought its not a daily driven car that gets 40+ miles per day.
I guess toyota just wanted to waste money installing the fuel pump ecu thats why they put it there. You might convince some people that the denso tt pump is better than the walbro but from what ive seen (not what i read on the web) this is how it goes 300zx tt > walbro255 > supratt.
Old 05-14-08, 08:12 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

i've seen 3 walbro's fail and no tt denso's fail...
Old 06-28-08, 03:12 PM
PWK
Driver School Candidate

Has anybody had a problem with the fuel pump running even when the key is out of the ignition. We have had a battery drain problem and I was searching around in the trunk heard and little whirring sound and after a little searching figured out it was the fuel pump continuously running. I did the 12v mod about 6+ months ago and up until recently haven't had this issue come up. We even replaced the negative battery cable thinking that may have been the source of the battery drain. Now it appears the fuel pump running continuously may have been the culprit all along. Have any of you who have done the 12v mod had this problem?
Old 06-29-08, 11:44 AM
PWK
Driver School Candidate

Just wondering. Does the fuel pump run for several minutes after the engine is turned off to cool off the fuel rails? Just trying to understand why the fuel pump continues to run and thought there may be some kind of cool down circuit.
Old 07-02-08, 06:52 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

just curious, what is the best way to setup the Supra TT in-tank fuel pump so it runs at a constant (and consistant) 14 volts? How does this look?:

Name:  FuelPumpwiring.jpg
Views: 6527
Size:  25.7 KB

Last edited by dejacky; 07-03-08 at 01:43 AM.

Quick Reply: SC300 12v Fuel Mod w/ Pictures - FAQ