Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1j leaning out not reving well

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 09:06 PM
konspec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1j leaning out not reving well

I know this hesitation/non-reving problem has been covered but, all under different terms. I have a 1jz and before I hook up all of the extras I want to get it running stock(for easier trouble-shooting) I have no leaks, I've hooked up the check engine light which doesn't throw a code, coilpacks are good, spark plugs are good, and have checked all grounds.
The car will rev past 3k if the throttle is light buy will sputter badly and run extremely lean(13.5+ provided by my wideband). If I apply more then 1/4 trottle it will feel like a rev limiter. The only wrench in this whole equation, that I can think of is the fuel cell. I have a 13 gallon fuel cell with external pump, filters, and FPR. My FP is set at about 40psi, but I've played with that to try and fix the problem with no improvement. The wiring for the fuel pump was patched into the harness that plugs into the fuel ecu. I'm assuming this is acting the same as the 12v bypass mod. If my fuel pump rely wiring is patched into the fuel ecu would that be the route of the problem? Has anyone had this experience and found it was just a bad ecu? I don't have the luxury of pluging someone elses ecu in to test and can't find one for sale. I'm kindof at a loss now especially since my car isn't throwing any codes.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-03-07, 11:07 PM
2jzfreak
Driver School Candidate

check your tps, a lot of the guys i know on supraforums run into the same problem think you need to readjust the tps
Old 07-04-07, 12:31 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by konspec
I know this hesitation/non-reving problem has been covered but, all under different terms. I have a 1jz and before I hook up all of the extras I want to get it running stock(for easier trouble-shooting) I have no leaks, I've hooked up the check engine light which doesn't throw a code, coilpacks are good, spark plugs are good, and have checked all grounds.
The car will rev past 3k if the throttle is light buy will sputter badly and run extremely lean(13.5+ provided by my wideband). If I apply more then 1/4 trottle it will feel like a rev limiter. The only wrench in this whole equation, that I can think of is the fuel cell. I have a 13 gallon fuel cell with external pump, filters, and FPR. My FP is set at about 40psi, but I've played with that to try and fix the problem with no improvement. The wiring for the fuel pump was patched into the harness that plugs into the fuel ecu. I'm assuming this is acting the same as the 12v bypass mod. If my fuel pump rely wiring is patched into the fuel ecu would that be the route of the problem? Has anyone had this experience and found it was just a bad ecu? I don't have the luxury of pluging someone elses ecu in to test and can't find one for sale. I'm kindof at a loss now especially since my car isn't throwing any codes.

Thanks in advance
I had the exact same problem. I would turn the car on, and it would idle fine, and it would rev if I gave is less than 25% throttle, but stop revving as soon as I gave it more. The culprit was my igniter. Keep in mind the 1j igniters are VERY VERY fragile. i popped the cover of my igniter, and lo and behold, there were metal pieces disconnected from their perches. I soldered them back on with rosin solder, and the car runs great, just like new. I even put electrical tape all over the igniter to cushion it a bit.

Hope I helped.
Old 07-04-07, 08:06 AM
konspec
Driver

thanks for the imput. I' m going to go pop the cover off my igniter. Now that you mention it I remeber while wiring up my push button start I saw sparks shoot from the brackets bolting the ignitor down. I just needed some people to jog my memory and remind me of the suck.
Old 07-04-07, 07:25 PM
konspec
Driver

well I couldn't get the cover off the igniter it kept chipping. I was looking through the service manual and if the igniter is bad it should throw a code, right? My car isn't throwing codes. This is weird, any other thoughts? wouldn't a bad TPS throw a code too?
Old 07-04-07, 08:00 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my igniter died, no codes, just ****ty performance
Old 07-05-07, 11:47 AM
konspec
Driver

well I'm going to try a local guys igniter tonight, hopefully that works. If not, where's a good place to source an igniter? I didn't check if the IDL wire for the TPS was getting 12v. So hopefully one of these things will do it. Any other thoughts? I can't wait to break this thing in!!
Old 07-05-07, 12:45 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, Sup Dante...
i responded to your text.
read this thread thinkin i'd figure something out for my power fc. . .
we'll see if your Ign works on my car tonight or whenever u can make it here.
Old 07-08-07, 09:19 AM
konspec
Driver

well...update.. ConSynx was nice enough to let me test some things on his ride. Now it's confirmed..nothing wrong with my map, igniter, and ecu... Now I'm at square on again.
Old 07-08-07, 12:34 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same issue as him, but at a lower rpm, and only when using the power fc.

the TPS voltage is correct on mine...
but mine seems like a completely random fuel cut, as the afr's and everything seems fine. . .

must be something in western PA
Old 07-10-07, 12:01 AM
tbrex
Driver School Candidate

Default Having same problem

Hey man, Im having the same problem with my swap done everything on the search already. If I find something else I'll let you know. Gonna try and replace all the intercooler piping.
Old 07-10-07, 10:31 AM
konspec
Driver

definitely track this thread then.. I know how frustrating it can be to have the car so close to being road worthy
Old 07-10-07, 12:43 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Soarer Down!
the one that WAS running fine is running so rich it's undriveable now. . .
clueless. . .
Old 07-19-07, 08:10 PM
konspec
Driver

well I'll update.... just for kicks i took the coilpacks off to relook for any problems. (there fine) I thought I'd also replace the spark plugs. The spark plug tips were black but dry. After I cleaned the ruber part of the coilpacks and put the new spark plugs in, things felt better. It still started breaking up but now around 4k and it was hesitating alittle bit before it would boost. Now it dies after it gets warmed up. I adjusted the TPS. took it for a spin. same thing. This didn't clear things up for me at all but maybe it shed some light on some other ideas for the guys experience with these motors. So end of the night, things got better and now it stalls.
Old 07-28-07, 08:59 AM
konspec
Driver

Originally Posted by tbrex
Hey man, Im having the same problem with my swap done everything on the search already. If I find something else I'll let you know. Gonna try and replace all the intercooler piping.

did you ever solve this problem?

Quick Reply: 1j leaning out not reving well