Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Damaged SC400 engine; replacement / rebuilt recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 05:58 AM
SonyaSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged SC400 engine; replacement / rebuilt recommendations

Meet Sonya, a gold 93' SC400 in the Tampa Bay area, Florida in great condition with a shiny, never problematic IUZ-FE engine sittin' pretty at 160K miles. New belts, new hoses, the works. Over six months and zero problems.

The radiator corroded out, as normal in Florida and with Sonya's age. Replaced the radiator and hoses and fluids and drove the car. The next day, the water pump's bearings broke and completely seized up. Seizing up caused catrostrophic damage to the combustion system (from the water pump to the timing belt).

Welcome to the suck. The engine's now dead, as told by my trusted performance mechanic (a new water pump and timing belt was installed, but the engine isn't getting compression). I ain't lettin' my girl go out like that...

What are some of your recommendations? Should the engine be rebuilt (at 160K miles), or should a new used engine be dropped in? If so, what type? Original IUZ-FE or something else? I'd love to, I don't know... maybe get a lightly more powerful engine (or modified 1UZ-FE), but I'm trying not to go over $1,500 for a new used engine. I can get a used 1UZ-FE, 92 to 94 range, with about 76K to 96K miles for about $1,100 to $1,400 (including freight).

But what do you guys think? Is there anyway I can make this a "silver lining" by getting more horsepower without killing my budget? I'm not some gear head so keep the technical terms on the lamins side. (And I've already searched, so none of this cheap "SEARCH!!!" crap.)

ThanX in advance.

Last edited by SonyaSC400; 07-10-07 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-04-07, 06:31 AM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Search!!!

J/K
Just slap on a good used 1uzfe (same year/model) engine problem solved. I was about to say swap a 1jzgte but you'll be approx. 2x or more over budget.
Old 07-04-07, 09:51 AM
SonyaSC400
Driver School Candidate

Yo, thanx for the fast reply. And yeah, that makes sense. Now you said "same year/model". I know LS400's have the same engine, but finding one from a SC400 makes more sense to me... But does it have to be the same year, 93'? Are there any differences between a 92 to 94?

Also, if I went the new, used engine route (which I've been leaning towards), are there any components I should swap from the old engine to the new? I'd do that for the new water pump, belts and hoses of course... but is there anything else? (I'm curious because I've found, in searches, that some people have had issues with their TRAC control light saying on or other things.)

I'll probably be blowin' this forum post with more questions as things get put into motion, but these questions will help me now.

ThanX.
Old 07-04-07, 10:47 AM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Honestly if I were you, I would just swap a 1Jzgte in its place. Sell the 1uz engine and tranny to absorb some of the budget blows.
Old 07-04-07, 10:57 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2jz or 1jz u have had u fun with ur 1uz now is time to move on
Old 07-04-07, 12:07 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sliva001
Honestly if I were you, I would just swap a 1Jzgte in its place. Sell the 1uz engine and tranny to absorb some of the budget blows.
Diddo
Old 07-04-07, 02:12 PM
SonyaSC400
Driver School Candidate

Hey dudes, thanX for the info. Yeah, I'd love... I repeat, LOVE to do that... if I'm able to (also involves labor of my mechanic). I did a search on eBay for 1JZ-GTE engines and found one around $1,200 with great mileage (while others were over $2,000), but what kinda' ball park do you think I can really expect (and where's the best place to look, if not eBay?)

But the swapping in this engine, with a Supra tranny and selling Sonya's transmission (runs perfect) to recoup the tranny cost is a great idea. $C300, you said "Sell the 1uz engine". Do you mean dismantle the 1UZ-FE and sell parts, or the whole thing?

I've got other questions, but I'm gonna' do some searching first to see if I can find answers first. You guys have been helpful so far...
Old 07-04-07, 02:17 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Aliga had a nice one for you ... for cheap I would PM him... shipping might kill you, but he has connects
Old 07-04-07, 02:40 PM
convoy
Pole Position

if u go the 1jz route, u might have to switch out the cross member? i could be wrong. i think u need an SC3 for that. if u plan to keep the sc4 body, stick with the 1uz. a new, used 1uz. just get new belts, gaskets, water pump, plugs, etc... do a compression test and bam, will slip right back in where it belongs in ur engine bay.
if u go 1jz, u might end up spending more money than u want to in the long run. turbos, lines, gaskets, intercooler, turbo timer... hks parts this, greddy parts that...
Old 07-05-07, 01:56 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you go with a used 1UZ, get one that is in the same year group, 92-94, if you want to keep it simple and the least in cost. I picked up a useed 1UZ from a LS400 for my TT project, same year as mine, 93, and got it for $500 for a local junk yard in Orlando. Of course, I rebuilt this one, so it would blow away your budget. But if you stay within the years I mentioned, you will not have to swap out the ECU, nor any thing else. The difference with the LS engine is that it has a different oil sump than your SC400 does, which you should be able to swap out from your existing engine, and the LS has a does not have the hydraulic pump set up for the main fan in your SC. You can swap that too, if those parts are in good condition. You may be able to swap the 95-97 engine in there without an ECU change, but someone else will have to chime in on this one, as I am not sure about that. Again, this is my recommendation if you are going to stay with the 1UZ and want to keep your costs down...

BTW, Aliga is great if you can keep the shipping down. His parts are always cost effective, and of excellent quality...

Ryan
Old 07-05-07, 08:41 AM
SonyaSC400
Driver School Candidate

You guys are like the bombdiggity when it comes to SC400's, 'fer real now... I gotta' lotta' info to chew on, and for my mechanic. bigmalik00 'n' SC400tt, thanX, I'm gonna' hit up Aliga to see what his prices are on both 1UZ and 1JZ prices.

And convoy, yeah, I will be keepin' Sonya's body an SC400. So you think if I had an SC300, with an inline 6, it'd be more plug-in-play goin' to a 1JZ TT inline 6, but with a V8 SC400 it's not as simple, huh? See, I don't know that much about cross members 'n' stuff, but it makes since that an SC400's engine bay isn't setup the way an SC300 (and Supra) is. Is that right?

"hks parts this, greddy parts that..." Yeah, I wouldn't mind gettin' a 1JZ if I could have the baby running, even without turbo functioning, if I could drive Sonya to make that money-money and THEN get that stuff workin'. But if that stuff's needed during the swap, yeah... that may be a budget buster.

Ryan, "If you go with a used 1UZ, get one that is in the same year group, 92-94, if you want to keep it simple and the least in cost." Yeah, I agree if I go with another 1UZ. "if those parts are in good condition" Oh yeah, everything in Sonya's engine is in great condition, so part swaps are doable.

Question about 98' 1UZ-FE's... My engine, according to intellexual.net, is at 250 HP. 1998+ is rated at 290 HP. I doubt I can find an affordable 98' I1UZ-FE engine, but... What kinda' performance difference would that be from the 93' to 98'? ('Cuz you know, horse power doesn't always equal speed...) If puttin' in a 98+ engine is out of my price range or is way too complex, just let know know and I'll forget about it.

Is there any advantage gettin' a 95'-97' engine over a 92' to 94' engine (besides the 10 HP increase after 96')?

I'm still interested in people's opinions on whether or not going with a 1JZ engine is practical or impractical for my situation by the way. 'Preciate all the info so far.
Old 07-05-07, 11:42 AM
SonyaSC400
Driver School Candidate

Ok, now we're gettin' close to workin' somethin' out. Makin' sure my SC400 remains a reliable car that I can race around town or drive cross Florida if needed is the most important thing. A 1JZ is 'freakin' awesome, but a friend of mine pulled some strings and is able to get me a 2000 1UZ-FE engine (a few miles from me, so no shipping) with very low mileage for a better deal than I could find anywhere else, including 92' engines.

I'd LOVE... I repeat, LOVE to go with a 1JZ... but reliability and budget are the dominating factors.

I did some searching but wasn't able to find what I'll need to put a 2000 1UZ-FE into a 93' SC400. So now I definitely info; what'll be needed? SC400TT mentioned possibly needing an ECU for the 95-97 range... Does that mean I definitely need one for a 2000?

Any and all help you guys can give would be tight.
Old 07-06-07, 01:54 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will definitely need the 2000 ECU, source it from the guy you are buying the engine from...The 2000 motor will not work with the 93 ECU. You will definitely have some work to do here, also, the transmission is different. I suggest you make the tranny swap as well, if you are going to do this. Check with Aliga, he may have some thoughts for you, and sceck with Deron (NextLevel), he is doing the complete swap.

Good Luck,

Ryan
Old 07-06-07, 06:45 AM
SonyaSC400
Driver School Candidate

Yo Ryan, thanX for the info. And yeah... you're 100% right about the transmission. Don't know how I missed that info. They went to a five speed and electronic controlled transmission in 98. Ugg...

It turns out they also made a change to 95-97 transmissions, but it's not clear WHAT that change was or if a 95-97 engine will work with Sonya's 93 transmission. Well I'm gonna' assume that a 95-97 engine will not plug-and-play with a 93 tranny, unless you guys tell me otherwise.

So it looks like I have to stick to the 91 to 94 range. FYI, doing some research I found that an ECU and wiring harness from a 93 car will work with an engine from 94, and visa-versa. It may work for all years from 91 - 94, but anyone interested in doing that will have to do the research themselves (as emissions apparently changed in 93).

Back to the drawing board...
Old 07-06-07, 09:53 AM
LyFeWoRx
Pole Position

You have a pm.

Quick Reply: Damaged SC400 engine; replacement / rebuilt recommendations