Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C Clutch Engages w/Relay jumped, Freon Level Good, Still not cold?? Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 05:13 PM
USAF_RT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C Clutch Engages w/Relay jumped, Freon Level Good, Still not cold?? Ideas?

Title Says it all...

I can jump the relay and the compressor engages without any funky noises, car seems to act normal...but even when I crank to Max Cold, I get no cold air.

What are the next things to look into?

Obviously I need to get the relay replaced and the wiring fixed so that it snaps the relay closed automatically.

But what is next on the list?
Old 07-06-07, 06:04 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

DO you know if the blend doors are moving? What are your pressures? Need more info.
Old 07-06-07, 06:55 PM
USAF_RT
Driver

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
DO you know if the blend doors are moving? What are your pressures? Need more info.
You know, to be honest I didn't look at the mixing servo. Are you referring to the one on the firewall?

Just recharged A/C so pressure is around 45-50 right now I believe...it was in the green on the bottle.

I am wondering if my Gauge Cluster / Odometer / Trip meter temperature sensor is somehow tied into the A/C issues. The temp sensor inside the car reads a constant -22deg, but I have been unable to figure out where it gets that input from and why it stopped working?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air Conditioning Wiring.pdf (128.6 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-06-07, 07:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF_RT
You know, to be honest I didn't look at the mixing servo. Are you referring to the one on the firewall?

Just recharged A/C so pressure is around 45-50 right now I believe...it was in the green on the bottle.

I am wondering if my Gauge Cluster / Odometer / Trip meter temperature sensor is somehow tied into the A/C issues. The temp sensor inside the car reads a constant -22deg, but I have been unable to figure out where it gets that input from and why it stopped working?
oh no.... you recharged it with "death in a can" at least once a day, we quote a compressor package ($900-$1500) because someone used one of those bottles... with those, there is no way to tell the high side pressure, which honestly is more important than low side pressure... what was it doing before you recharged it?
Old 07-06-07, 07:25 PM
USAF_RT
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
oh no.... you recharged it with "death in a can" at least once a day, we quote a compressor package ($900-$1500) because someone used one of those bottles... with those, there is no way to tell the high side pressure, which honestly is more important than low side pressure... what was it doing before you recharged it?
I have never heard of people having issues recharging an r134 system with r134 in a can, then again A/C is not really my thing. The system was emptied out prior to charging it (initially just thought there might be a leak, but there wasn't).

What was it doing previously? Nothing...bought the car with a non-functional A/C after the 2JZGTE swap. Clutch wouldn't engage, but this is due to the Climate Control not sending a signal to the ECU to kick on the AC Magnetic Clutch Relay. So I temporarily jumped the relay to see if the compressor was seized up, which it isn't.

So really I have a feeling it has to do with the mixing servo or possibly something with a temperature sensor.

The A/C never got cold (or cool) and the Hot air during the winter was usually more like "warm" air.
Old 07-06-07, 09:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never heard of people having issues recharging an r134 system with r134 in a can, then again A/C is not really my thing. The system was emptied out prior to charging it (initially just thought there might be a leak, but there wasn't).

What was it doing previously? Nothing...bought the car with a non-functional A/C after the 2JZGTE swap. Clutch wouldn't engage, but this is due to the Climate Control not sending a signal to the ECU to kick on the AC Magnetic Clutch Relay. So I temporarily jumped the relay to see if the compressor was seized up, which it isn't.

So really I have a feeling it has to do with the mixing servo or possibly something with a temperature sensor.

The A/C never got cold (or cool) and the Hot air during the winter was usually more like "warm" air.

I suggest taking it to a professional shop for a basic diagnosis - someone with true a/c gauges... unless proper system pressures (both high and low side) are achieved, then the system will never tell the compressor to turn on... they will be able to monitor both high and low side pressures, and do this with the compressor running temporarily to see if things are acting right or not...

if you can find that correct pressures are in the system, then the system most likely sees something else not correct to turn the system on.... (evap temp sensor, etc)

Last edited by mitsuguy; 07-06-07 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 08:00 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last time I went through my radio setup and had the hvac controls unplugged, when I put it back together the ac was not working & the outside temp said the same -22. Mine started working again after I went through and unplugged everything then plugged it back in, but this leads me to believe if the temp sensor is messed up, it defaults to -22 & shuts the a/c off.
Old 07-07-07, 12:22 PM
USAF_RT
Driver

Originally Posted by SpinAll4
The last time I went through my radio setup and had the hvac controls unplugged, when I put it back together the ac was not working & the outside temp said the same -22. Mine started working again after I went through and unplugged everything then plugged it back in, but this leads me to believe if the temp sensor is messed up, it defaults to -22 & shuts the a/c off.
Interesting! I will definitely give that a shot..