Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Air Flow Meter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 06:38 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Flow Meter

Does anyone have experience with aftermarket Air Flow Meters? I looked on Advance Auto's website and found: Python Injection Inc. Sensor-Mass Air Flow - $391.

My Air Flow Meter is on the way out and I need to replace it.

Thanks for the help in advance
Mousiee
Old 07-10-07, 01:25 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd shoot aliga a pm and see how much he'll sell you one for.
Old 07-10-07, 01:29 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

I would get a good, used replacement. $400 for a air meter, is a waste of money. You wont see any gains.
Old 07-10-07, 02:59 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Gunnar,
I've tried the used route about a year ago. It ran better, but now it's starting to act up. I just feel comfortable going new this time around.

na4now,
I am looking for no hp gain. I am just trying to get my car to running the way it should.

Thanks for the help
Mousiee
Old 07-10-07, 03:04 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

I used one should be fine. I have 186K miles on my car, with the original MAF and it runs perfect. Are you sure its not something else?
Old 07-10-07, 03:19 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

What year do you have? I have a 95 400 w/ 106k. This will be my fourth air flow meter since I got the car last April.

Mousiee
Old 07-10-07, 03:35 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Well, mines a '92 300, but the meters are very similiar. I dont think they just go out like that. Something else has got to be wrong. What makes you think that thats whats wrong with it.
Old 07-10-07, 03:42 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by na4now
Well, mines a '92 300, but the meters are very similiar. I dont think they just go out like that. Something else has got to be wrong. What makes you think that thats whats wrong with it.
The car hesitates at about 1500 - 2000 well accelerating moderately. When I step on the gas hard the car sputters throughout. Its not smooth at all. Plus my mechanic told e before that's why I replaced it b4.

Thanks 4 ur help
B back soon
Old 07-10-07, 04:35 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

How new are the spark plugs? My car did that when it needed new plugs.

4 MAF's in that short of a time frame is insane, my car has 223K on the stock MAF. Try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner and let it dry fully, and see if that helps at all.
Old 07-10-07, 08:03 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gunnar
How new are the spark plugs? My car did that when it needed new plugs.

4 MAF's in that short of a time frame is insane, my car has 223K on the stock MAF. Try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner and let it dry fully, and see if that helps at all.
I had the plugs checked about a year ago, and my mechanic said I had about half the like left on y plugs. I planned on doing the plugs and wire soon myself.

What electrical contact cleaner to you recommended?

I just want the car to run like it's suppose to. It feels like its corked up. I put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank Sunday thinking the injectors were the problem, but that didn't help.
Old 07-10-07, 09:00 PM
AdvanSC300
Rookie

I have Denso Iridium spark plugs in my SC300,they only cost me $40.00 for six at Toyota and they are made to last 100k miles.As for MAF sensor,when I get a System too lean DTC on a Toyota,I clean the hot wires and the air temp sensor which are on the MAF sensor with brake cleaner,it fixes the problem about 95% of the time...
Old 07-11-07, 04:09 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a product called MAF cleaner, made specifically for the sensitive parts of the MAF. It costs a few bucks a can, but definitely will make sure you are sensing the correct amount of air, which should not only help your problem but also help anyone whose MAF is not completely clean.

The brake cleaner suggestion above is probably similarly good. Both are very volatile cleaning products that evaporate about as fast as you can spray them.
Old 07-11-07, 04:57 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

I'll try the MAF cleanerthis weekend. I think I remember seeing it used on Two Guys Garage....lol.

I plan on changing the plugs if I can use someone's garage. Where is a good source for tune up parts?

Mousiee
Old 07-11-07, 10:24 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mousiee
I had the plugs checked about a year ago, and my mechanic said I had about half the like left on y plugs. I planned on doing the plugs and wire soon myself.

What electrical contact cleaner to you recommended?

I just want the car to run like it's suppose to. It feels like its corked up. I put a can of Seafoam in the gas tank Sunday thinking the injectors were the problem, but that didn't help.
A year ago??? Yeah, that's more than likely your problem.

And if you seafoamed the car, you need to change them even worse now. Change your oil and your plugs after the seafoam, and your car will feel brand new! I've put maybe 500 miles on my plugs and they need replaced again because I put a little seafoam in the gas tank.

I don't know the brand, I got the can from a friend, it just says Electric Contact Cleaner on it. I could look when I get home tonight if I remember.
Old 07-11-07, 11:27 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Thanks

I haven't Seafoamed the car yet, but I plan to this weekend. That, and clean the AFM with Electric Contact Cleaner.

I appreciate all the help.

Mousiee

Quick Reply: Air Flow Meter