Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

American V8 in a SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 04:53 PM
CDY
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_SC
LS1 muahahaa
Screw that, LS7!!
Old 08-03-07, 12:56 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Here's a list in a good thread on ls1tech.com -- 420whp with boltons readily--
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755829

My statement was that basically a $3500 LS1 can easily be modded to make big numbers--

That's proven-- LS6 manifold, ecu tune, bigger cam (single instead of the whopping cost of 4-- $350 instead of $12 freakin hundred) exhaust w/ headers, the motor makes big numbers at the crank and is driveable-- it's over 400 hp at the crank and near the 400 whp mark -- pretty consistent with the numbers I said earlier-

I know all this stuff cost money and I didn't mean to make it sound like it was all free, but the mods are actually already there and available-- whereas mods for the XUZ are like a dark art.... very tough to find without spending huge $$ to get it....

Dude, do you honestly think the stock LS1 valvetrain is going to last long on a high lift camshaft like the G3s, G4s, and G5s and T-rex cams and all that crap that these guys run? No. You gotta get a new valvetrain, and it ISNT cheap. The CAMSHAFT cost $400, but you'll pay at least that much more on springs, rockers, lifters, and pushrods.

LS6 manifold? Yeah they werent available on pre-2001 LS1s, so you have to buy it. You think its free?
Nice headers on those motors cost decent money too. ECU tunes arent free either, nor is a lid.

It IS easy to make 400whp cam only, but its still a lopey car (trust me, people are making white lies when they say their 400whp cam-only LS1 drives around town like it did stock; I've seen far far far too many that show me otherwise), it still costs decent money because of the built valvetrain and other supporting parts. I was a member of LS1.com and camaroz28.com back before Clublexus even existed and Supraforums was run by a bunch of arrogant-asshat AZ-Supra owners. (before MVP bought it). For a guy who has never owned an LSx vehicle, I've got a LOT of research done into its capabilities.

LS1s are awesome, but it still costs decent money to make big power in it. (400whp isnt big power and will get you your *** handed to you by quite a few cars, but its fine for a regular driving car I guess). I'm even nervous with the 500whp capacity of my car if/when I get there. Because I know of a TON of cars that would destroy me). To build it up to the capacity of what a stroker 2uz could make (and handle) you'd spend just as much cash in the end, or even more. And the 2uz would still most likely be running on stockish maps and stock cams retaining a closer-to-stock drivability (which is already better than any of the LSx cars made to date)

As far wanting to do it:
If you want to, then thats fine! Its awesome even, because its new stuff being done on the SC and I like it all. All my reasoning is on the practicality side of things and thus I use objective facts to that end. I dont see the LSx being a better bang-for-the-buck swap than several other motors out there; especially in light of the new stroker kits out for the 2uz that offer some retarded power-handling capabilities and HUGE displacement increases. The Toyota V8 is built like a brick house and now it can breathe a whole lot more air. I'd bet a bored and stroked 5.6L 2uz could push Z06-numbers on upgraded camshafts.

Last edited by Bean; 08-03-07 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-03-07, 01:08 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Dude-- Come on Mr. Bean-- I said explicitly that IT WASN'T FREE--

By the time you stroke a 1UZ and do all that stuff to it to get it to 400 hp at the crank, you could've bought and stroked an LS1-- close to 550 hp easy there with a mild cam--

LS1 motors can make big power much more easily, and that's why I argue that point, because it's been done so many times and it's well documented--

Does it cost money? Sure it does! What hp related mod doesn't??

Have you ever priced headwork for the early 1UZ's by any chance? There's $2500 right there--

So you think a stroked 2UZ can match a stroked LS1??

I don't think so-- another thing is the LS1 ecu is working great all this time with pretty widely available ecu tuning for the stroking, cams, etc--

You need standalone to make the 2UZ run right-- that's big dollas--

You might make the twin cam 2UZ equal the ls1 in the end in hp, but it won't make the low torque, and won't spin much more easily, and will cost you a load just to run it with an ecu-- Not to mention finding cams--

I don't doubt your experience or expertise-- I just know that when stuff is readily available and has been done numerous times, like modding ls1's, it ends up cheaper than breaking new ground like this--

I'd love to do it I just really think it's cheaper to go LSX, not necessarily better if you're a diehard -- I'm just not-- It still interests me to just get a lightweight 92 RX7 and toss in an early LS1/t56 combo and run 11's -- I don't care who makes the motor-- I just like that they're cheap nowdays and make big power-- The mpg with that combo is ridiculous too-- right at 30 hwy--
Old 08-03-07, 01:33 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Fwiw, a 2uz has a lot more power potential than an LS1, hands down. It's as simple as iron block vs. aluminum block.

Eric
Old 08-03-07, 03:16 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

A lopey car is about like a big single 1JZ -- weaker on the lowend, but driveable if you can operate a manual trans --

some people won't like it, but many will -- It's all about preference-- And I guess it depends on what you're doing with the car-- If it's a daily driver maybe it doesn't need all these mods anyhow- I'm assuming the guy that would do all this work also has a civic or a bike to drive to and from work--

Anyways, good luck with whatever you guys do-- every option will have it's own set of pluses and minuses-- I just like the idea of a mild cammed LS1 making 400hp and 400+ tq with minimal mods and making a slow car fast-- I'm not trying to build a 650hp 8000 rpm racing engine-- I don't think that was the orig intent of this thread either-- So a stock LS1 should get a SC into the low 13's with a t56 and a good rearend , and a basic 100 shot should give you low 12's -- sound's plenty fast to have fun for not a lot of dough-- I think a 1JZ can do that too given a $6000 budget for motor and mods, so there are many answers here, but the LS1 does look inviting given it's possible to get 27mpg hwy with it.....
Old 08-04-07, 08:26 AM
simann
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could make it a farely easy swap. A camaro 6 speed transmission is pretty small, about the size of a W58. I have given the swap a thought, but the sound of a turbo I-6 motor just fits the look of the car better.