Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Z32TT Vs. 2JZ-GTE SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 05:51 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
You mean more power than a poorly tuned/running 2jz with stock turbos If you're running 18psi and only putting out 330whp, Mustang Dyno or not, then you got issues.

My hats off to the poster for having the patience to modify a Z32.
very true. A buddy of mine made ~430rwhp (not sure on the type of dyno) at 21psi on the stock twins, with 100 octane.. and was running consistent 11.80's at 117mph thru an auto tranny

330rwhp does seem a bit low @ 18psi..
Old 08-06-07, 08:24 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

You mean more power than a poorly tuned/running 2jz with stock turbos If you're running 18psi and only putting out 330whp, Mustang Dyno or not, then you got issues.

My hats off to the poster for having the patience to modify a Z32.
The mustang dyno is 19% off according to Speed & Sound.
It was very hot that day so we stopped dyno tuning when engine got too hot.
Anyway, GTO with intake, no cats, cat back & computer dynoed 306 same day.
Who knows, we would find out later...

Correct!
I also have some cooling issues (FMIC) and the Blitz Booster controller is spiking like crazy so we are correcting the problem with the new boost controller, AFC, etc.
Sc is in the shop for the upgrade Phase I.
Will post pictures and new dyno chart once we get it done.
It's more than 100 degree so we are not going to go all out yet.

Yes, it takes a long time to get it right.
Took me two years to get my Z to this point.
I got my butt spanked with my Z by 350Z with Greddy twin running at 8 psi a few days ago.... about half car length.
Need more boost....
Old 08-09-07, 11:01 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, go get that Greddy 350z and make sure he knows he's just a wannabe

I can understand the heat... Its HOT HOT down here every day.
Old 08-10-07, 10:30 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
very true. A buddy of mine made ~430rwhp (not sure on the type of dyno) at 21psi on the stock twins, with 100 octane.. and was running consistent 11.80's at 117mph thru an auto tranny

330rwhp does seem a bit low @ 18psi..
Upgraded the Fluidyne radiator, AAP fan kit, hard pipe kit, silicon hose (corrected the heating problem)
Greddy boost controller, Apexi AFC, T-timer (corrected the boost spike, corrected AF ratio)

Now, I have smooth curve

Tuned & Ran Dyno.....

Still 334 whp @ 17. PSI

It was about 100+ degrees in the bay but still 334 whp
So, I had to ask my shop owners and they said highest # for the Supra TT with stock turbos was 368 whp.

We have to dyno tune again when it cools down.
I will clean SC and post pictures soon.
Old 08-10-07, 10:38 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by clevercat
Upgraded the Fluidyne radiator, AAP fan kit, hard pipe kit, silicon hose (corrected the heating problem)
Greddy boost controller, Apexi AFC, T-timer (corrected the boost spike, corrected AF ratio)

Now, I have smooth curve

Tuned & Ran Dyno.....

Still 334 whp @ 17. PSI

It was about 100+ degrees in the bay but still 334 whp
So, I had to ask my shop owners and they said highest # for the Supra TT with stock turbos was 368 whp.

We have to dyno tune again when it cools down.
I will clean SC and post pictures soon.
maybe on their dyno... a good friend put down 410 whp on stock twins and stock sidemount... then right after that, 475 whp on a 50 shot of nitrous...

all through a 4k stall, built BL trans...
Old 08-11-07, 12:22 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

i had a Z32 300zxtt, and it doesnt touch my 1J sc....no comparrison, though my sc is single turboed, the 300 was modified, i dynoed it at 412, and it doesnt touch my sc....good run though
Old 08-11-07, 08:06 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Highest #'s they've seen is 368whp????? That's wayyy wrong. I tuned one just last week, with a fields fuel controller, FMIC, exhaust, BCC, etc, and it made 398whp @ 18psi. I've looked online and seen mid 400's whp on stock twins. What kind of dyno is it? BTW, are you using US spec twins, or JDM twins? Does anyone know what kind of numbers people have made on the JDM twins, at a SAFE boost level? Just curious...
Old 08-11-07, 06:00 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TTSC3
Highest #'s they've seen is 368whp????? That's wayyy wrong. I tuned one just last week, with a fields fuel controller, FMIC, exhaust, BCC, etc, and it made 398whp @ 18psi. I've looked online and seen mid 400's whp on stock twins. What kind of dyno is it? BTW, are you using US spec twins, or JDM twins? Does anyone know what kind of numbers people have made on the JDM twins, at a SAFE boost level? Just curious...
It's Mustang dyno.
It suppose to be 19% off.
I am running US Spec 94 TT TWIN with 6 speed.

I just finished my phase I upgrade on my SC.
This is going to be very special baby.
Enjoy pictures.

5000K HID + Cleared Head lights

Fluidyne + AAP

Hard pipe +silicon low hose

Intake

Boost controller, Timer, AFC (interior needs lots work)

SC (daily driver/drag car) + Z (track car)

Last edited by clevercat; 08-11-07 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 06:14 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
i had a Z32 300zxtt, and it doesnt touch my 1J sc....no comparrison, though my sc is single turboed, the 300 was modified, i dynoed it at 412, and it doesnt touch my sc....good run though

Depends on how deep your pocket is....
It is very expensive to increase HP on Z32s.
However, there are Zs out there pulling 500+ to the wheels.
Check out the below site.

http://www.z32power.com/z32power/site/default.asp

Who knows, some guy in Nova with LS7 might blow you by....
Never say never...
Everything is touchable.
Old 08-11-07, 06:31 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500+ to the wheels is nice, but its not all that impressive for a 3 liter DOHC turbo motor. I'm targeting that amount in a budget buildup on pumpgas

I agree on the Z part. Its expensive to get those things very fast, and even then they are notorious for blowing the motor. I owned one as my first "fast" car. It was an auto with the manual tranny turbos on it, Stage IV+. Ran like ~14psi on a JWT chip and other associated mods.

The cooling systems on those cars is a JOKE. My SC's radiator is HUGE compared to a stock Z32TT rad. Nissan definitely did some stupid crap making that car... those kinds of things where you say "What were they THINKING?!!?"
Old 08-12-07, 10:43 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

It's Mustang dyno.
It suppose to be 19% off.
I am running US Spec 94 TT TWIN with 6 speed.

I just finished my phase I upgrade on my SC.
This is going to be very special baby.
Enjoy pictures.

5000K HID + Cleared Head lights

Fluidyne + AAP

Hard pipe +silicon low hose

Intake

Boost controller, Timer, AFC (interior needs lots work)

SC (daily driver/drag car) + Z (track car)
19% is pretty far fetched. I've tuned cars on AWD Dynojets and then taken them directly down the road to a Dyno Dynamics dyno, and gotten the exact same number. So do you think that the Z is making nearly 20% MORE power at the ground then what it's showing...? I mean, it is possible, as Mustang dynos and Dyno Dynamics dynos have a load control, that can throw off numbers pretty far, which is something that Dynojets don't have. At any rate, as I tell my customers, the number isn't as important as repeatability, so if it'll do it again, that's really all that matters.
Old 08-12-07, 11:06 AM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TTSC3
19% is pretty far fetched. I've tuned cars on AWD Dynojets and then taken them directly down the road to a Dyno Dynamics dyno, and gotten the exact same number. So do you think that the Z is making nearly 20% MORE power at the ground then what it's showing...? I mean, it is possible, as Mustang dynos and Dyno Dynamics dynos have a load control, that can throw off numbers pretty far, which is something that Dynojets don't have. At any rate, as I tell my customers, the number isn't as important as repeatability, so if it'll do it again, that's really all that matters.

Frankly, I believe what is recorded in the dyno sheet regardless of what my dyno guy tells me. It is always nice to think you are getting more power....
I learned a long time ago that Dyno king is not the fastest on street.
Old 08-12-07, 11:15 AM
clevercat
Lead Lap

500+ to the wheels is nice, but its not all that impressive for a 3 liter DOHC turbo motor. I'm targeting that amount in a budget buildup on pumpgas

I agree on the Z part. Its expensive to get those things very fast, and even then they are notorious for blowing the motor. I owned one as my first "fast" car. It was an auto with the manual tranny turbos on it, Stage IV+. Ran like ~14psi on a JWT chip and other associated mods.

The cooling systems on those cars is a JOKE. My SC's radiator is HUGE compared to a stock Z32TT rad. Nissan definitely did some stupid crap making that car... those kinds of things where you say "What were they THINKING?!!?"

My Z32 had the cooling issues.
I found that out when I purchased my Z, which was solved with the racing radiator, fans and Nismo Thermostat. I had same problem with my 2JZ-GTE SC when I bought it. It was overheating with the FMIC so I had to upgrade the cooling system. Problem solved

Back to Z, Z32 was well ahead of time when it came out 1989 as 1990 models.
It is very capable car with the big after market support.

High mileage Z32s are appealing to the younger first time buyers because it is much more affordable than Supra TT. And then, they learn about the high maintenance cost.
Most of people blowing up their VG30DETT did not properly maintain their cars.
I had to spend several thousands of dollars just replacing and fixing problems when I purchased my Z. It is 1990 model with 85K. I was boosting 18 psi on stock turbos with the fuel mods. It’s kind funny some of my Z club members do not understand why I was able to pass them even we had the same set up…. MAINTENANCE!!!

I do not know about 1JZ but I love torque on my 2JZ-GTE (German fortified version of 2JZ-GE). I am in process of building it so I can drag it but I do not see myself doing twisties with SC even with full coil over upgrade.
As I mentioned, different animals.
Old 08-28-07, 11:03 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Z32 had the cooling issues.
I found that out when I purchased my Z, which was solved with the racing radiator, fans and Nismo Thermostat. I had same problem with my 2JZ-GTE SC when I bought it. It was overheating with the FMIC so I had to upgrade the cooling system. Problem solved

Back to Z, Z32 was well ahead of time when it came out 1989 as 1990 models.
It is very capable car with the big after market support.

High mileage Z32s are appealing to the younger first time buyers because it is much more affordable than Supra TT. And then, they learn about the high maintenance cost.
Most of people blowing up their VG30DETT did not properly maintain their cars.
I had to spend several thousands of dollars just replacing and fixing problems when I purchased my Z. It is 1990 model with 85K. I was boosting 18 psi on stock turbos with the fuel mods. It’s kind funny some of my Z club members do not understand why I was able to pass them even we had the same set up…. MAINTENANCE!!!

I do not know about 1JZ but I love torque on my 2JZ-GTE (German fortified version of 2JZ-GE). I am in process of building it so I can drag it but I do not see myself doing twisties with SC even with full coil over upgrade.
As I mentioned, different animals.
Thats true...a Z would make a much better track car than the SC would. It depends if you just want to go in a straight line or not. I was faced with this EXACT same decision about a month ago....300zxTT or sc300 w/1jz or 2jz. Ive ridden in some nicely modded Z's which pulled like a rape ape. The handeling on those cars are pretty decent too. In the end i decided i wanted something a little more low key and unnoticeable, which is why last week I bought my 95 5spd sc300.

Hats off to both cars tho!!
Old 08-30-07, 09:12 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Here is the Phase II of the upgrade.

DBA rotors all corners + Project MU pads on MKIV TT break swap.

Painted TT calipers

After 2 hours

HID

Still lots work left...!