Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 135,000 Miles Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 11:33 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 135,000 Miles Transmission

Ok, so today my transmission didn’t go straight into reverse and did the same thing in drive. It went into gear after a second, but it wasn’t right there as it has always been (I was on an incline by the way). I should note that this was after a day of driving in the mountains. I’ve never flushed or changed the transmission fluid. I intend to check the level as soon as I get to a service station (I’m at a café atm). I have noticed that the car feels like it might be slipping a little occasionally, but it’s so subtle that I can’t say that it’s the transmission. It just feels like it’s shifting gears that aren’t there sometimes if that makes sense. I chalked it up to drivetrain slack or something.

So, I’m asking you guys – what should I do? Is there anything that I can do or am I doomed to await the transmission to fail completely leaving me stranded somewhere?

I’ve read that there is the option of emptying the transmission pan and filling then repeating after a week or so. Is doing that several times going to safely flush out the transmission fluid that’s in there and help to solve my problem?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-07-07, 11:42 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You summed it up and answered your own questions. Check and change that fluid. Do the drain and refill method (about 3-4 cycles) and the fluid will be predominantly new.
Old 08-07-07, 08:36 PM
Seismic
Rookie

Check the filter too.. If your filter is gunked up, it can cause hesitation in shifting.
Old 08-08-07, 12:14 AM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same prob still cant figure out the problem first my car would but jerking when i stop at a red light now i cant get it into reverse i can only drive forward...
Old 08-08-07, 11:11 AM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that happened to my friend's camry.... his 1989 camry? ahhaha
like all of a sudden it wouldnt reverse...
when he puts it on R he gasses it it goes no where.. puts it on D gasses it it goes forward.. soo in a way he got pissed.. soo he puts it on N then revs it high and then slams it on R and well it works now

DONT TRY IT.. (u can if you want ;] ) but im sure thats not the way to fix it
Old 08-08-07, 06:39 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Well, it cost me like $50 to gather up what I needed to do it ($30 just for the fluid), but I bought the Toyota brand transmission fluid recommended here and drained/filled the pan last night. It *feels better* I don’t know if it *is better*. I’ll drain and fill again in a couple of weeks. I have to drive across the desert at the beginning of next month so I would surely like to have some confidence that the fluid change is all that was needed.

It does seem to feel as though it’s not shifting as hard as it used to. That fluid that I drained out was truly worn out. I’m glad that my little scare prodded me to go ahead with the fluid change.
Old 08-08-07, 08:06 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a full flush on my transmission (12 quarts with a fluid exchanger) and haven't had any issues.

Just thought I'd share since people seem to be afraid to flush. I DID NOT use any cleaners or additives though, they scare me.

If you don't have an exchanger (or don't want to pay $130 at the dealership) you can do a bucket flush.

There are two lines going to the radiator from the transmission, figure out which one flows to the radiator. Disconnect the hose and rig it (use extra line bought at any auto parts store if needed) so that it will reach a 5 gallon bucket. Start the car and add trans fluid (be sure you use the right type, likely T type fluid) through the dipstick as the bucket fills. Keep it up till the fluid coming out of the hose looks new (use at least 10 quarts). Easy to do although slightly messy if your not careful. Take the used fluid to most any auto parts store for recycling. Simple, done!

KC