Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

chip or torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 03:13 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the TC is such a simple bolt on mod, then why the HELL does it cost so much to install? It cant be that hard to drop the transmition can it? (Id imageine I could drop it myself if I just get going fast and then throw it in reverse :P)

Jason
Old 01-03-02, 03:40 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino
if the TC is such a simple bolt on mod, then why the HELL does it cost so much to install? It cant be that hard to drop the transmition can it? (Id imageine I could drop it myself if I just get going fast and then throw it in reverse :P)

Jason
Okay yeah, I saw that coming, hahaha. I would still do the torque convertor to get rid of the slow automatic pickup.
Old 01-03-02, 06:17 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

(I have no TC BTW)
On the street with my old Michelin Touring Tires, I could peel out from stop to about 20mph if I torque braked at 2000 (does this seem to happen with your SC4s as well)? Now I have Falken FK-451s. I cant peel out at all so far (with normal 2000rpm launches) unless it is wet of course. They are much softer than the Michelins and was wondering if the TC would be to spin the tires w/ soft high performance tire on a hard launch.

The tires seemed to help me a lot. The first time I raced my friends TLP (modded of course) I only had a car length on him by 40 (with Torque braking at 2k). I raced him again and had my new tires, without torque braking over 1000rpms, I had him by a carlength right off the line and shut it down at 10mph (and you could hear he gunned it at the same time, so I just didnt have a better rxn). He couldnt believe how much the tires helped my car either.

What kind of tires are you guys using with the TCs? Maybe a good set of tires can cure the traction problems with a TC.
Old 01-03-02, 07:30 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
Torque controler is pretty much a bolt-on that gives you major improvement in your 1/4 mile time. What do you guys do a lot? Off the line racing or high speed racing? That's what you need to decide.
That's a very good point, and while acceleration is a good testing point I personally don't intend to make my car into a drag car. I'm making a more all around fun car, and I like having more power at like 70 mph, where you can also feel a huge improvement. The other thing is that my car will be one of the few v8 cars to receive a manual transmission, hopefully that will happen mid-year. Like I've said, I'm building the car the way I want, and that's part of the plan.
However, a TC would probably be a huge improvement in the car. With the chip I'd probably hit the 1 second 1/4 mile drop with a TC or even more, but I'd rather spend the extra cash and get a 6-speed.
matt: with the big rear wheels on my car traction's still difficult, and I have Michelin Pilot Sports (I'd rather have Bridgestones, but a free set of tires is fine w/me.) I'll be using Pole Position S-03's when these wear out.
Old 01-03-02, 08:12 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Being a newer member of CL, I am lost on performance upgrades.. I used to drive a neon, and frequented the neon performance message boards. One thing I liked about the neon board was that they had a FAQ. We should compile all our info, such as headlight moisture fix, places to buy parts, who imports stuff from Japan, etc into a 'living document'. They also had a 'performace build-up step by step'. It also listed the engine modifications in logical order and hp gains for each...
Old 01-03-02, 08:33 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by mjames08
Being a newer member of CL, I am lost on performance upgrades.. I used to drive a neon, and frequented the neon performance message boards. One thing I liked about the neon board was that they had a FAQ. We should compile all our info, such as headlight moisture fix, places to buy parts, who imports stuff from Japan, etc into a 'living document'. They also had a 'performace build-up step by step'. It also listed the engine modifications in logical order and hp gains for each...
He's got a point. It would be so we don't waste threads about same thing over and over again each time there is a new person on the board. Looking back through the past threads is kinda hard plus the search on any BB sux. So FAQ would be good.
Old 01-04-02, 06:07 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino

Jason
Why? Because the dealer just looks at a number in a book to see labor cost. Remember; we have a Lexus - Translation: charge double!!!

Shop around most transmission shops will charge 300-350$ which is an average price for the labor involved. If you've ever paid to have your clutch changd, the TC swap will be about the same labor cost, because I know the cost of living difference is quite different and that would be a good refrence. Expect 3-4 hours of labor cost.

I had my valve cover gaskets replaced, rear main seal replaced (do this, since the trans is off- its only a 20$ seal) and TC installed/swapped at the dealer. From the time they started my car to the time I was driving away was just at 4 hours; yet the TC install was billed for 8 hours and the Valve cover gaskets were 3.5 hours labor and the seal had .5 hours.....do the math; I got raped!!!! Do to a small glitch, I was able to see the car as it was being worked on. I spoke in depth with the mechanic and learned how badly I was being screwed. He told me, that with the lift it takes lesss than an hour to drop the tranny, swap the TC (5 mins and 8 bolts later...) then just under an hour to reinstall the tranny and finish things up. No special tools required. Being as the TC allows one stall adjustment, he told me to remove it myself if I ever decide to do it in the future. He said with a good set of ramps or jack stands, it would take a do-it-yourselfer about 3-4 hours to remove and reinstall with regular hand tools; faster w/ pnumatic tools.

So back to your question.....why does it cost so much.....cuz' its a Lexus! And Lex labor is 90$ an hour (seriously) and aparently their math is half as fast as their mechanics...

abutler696- Trust me the - "just get it then you'll see" motto is sooo true. Youre driving a whole new car once its installed. I have never installed another mod that had such a noticable improvement in performance. Just get it and you'll see <hehehe>. I'd like to add the "You'll beat yourself sensless for not getting it sooner". Its probably one of the only mods that I can safely say is well worth the cost; and it ain't cheap.

matt7184 : I'm running Firestone Firewawks, 285's and they just light right up if I don't launch right. They gripped the best when stock. They would slip a little on a stock SC4, but still move the car forward, but still be squealing at the same time. Now if I just hammer it, a cloud of smoke.

MadMaxSC400: how much does the WR intake cost? What does WR consider an exhaust mod; and how much does that cost? I plan on opening up my exhaust totally once I find a place that can do it right (headers-mufflers with mandrel bends). I plan on getting WR's ECU upgrade in about a year once all is done. I hope you guys keep working on the project.

Persononally I still don't feel like the ECU should be labeled as an entry level upgrade. Turning bolts is one thing; cutting and splicing electrical wires to the ECU is another. I'm MECP certified, and I have seen a lot of do-it-yourself hack jobs on cars. It may be simple for us to wire in, but a regular "white collar" guy who just wants a hp gain but doesn't want to get his hands dirty, may get more than he is asking for, especially once you start factoring in the legalities w/ the extended warrenty companies. Let alone the issues of winter Gas for the folks up north and different octane standards around the different parts of the country (premium gas ranges from 91-94 octane depending on where you live.....what octane was it tuned for?) Smart tuners know what to do for situations like that, but Joe Schmoe's don't. Some people will try to run regular unleaded with your ECU just trying to save abuck (losing a motor in the process). Smart people know not to add a 100 shot of NOS to a car w/ this upgrade.........not so smart people don't. A lot of people want to just pay money for performance w/o truely understanding the concepts of how and why the performance gains get there. They assume that if this mod adds 10 hp and that one adds 50, then if I get them BOTH I can have 60 hp more!!! See where I'm going here. An ignorant person should not have this on their car in my opinion, unless they know the ground rules; and remember them!!!!! Why, because they might just BUY something else for their car that isn't compatiable with the ECU and not know it...back to the NOS reference. Not to be pesemistic, but I have just seen waaaayyyyyyyy to many people F' up their car just trying to make it faster (I know, I was once one of them). I'm just trying to be the big brother here and caution some people who are a little lost in the performance world and simply looking to buy some horsepower. They merely need to be educated first before they jump into things, thats all. I'm in no way saying "don't buy it"; I saying, learn about it first THEN buy It!!! Start small, and work your way up. The product sounds like a good/great one, but I strongly feel it has an intended target audience.

For whats its worth, I plan on buying it though ....<smirk> and after all that <hehehehehe>.......<pause> you want to hit me now don't you.....

Enjoy,
Keith
Old 01-04-02, 06:34 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Thanks again Keith.

Let's say with the proper launch I'm running a 14.9 right now and with the intake I'm about to get I could run a 14.7 or so since it will really kick in my other upgrades. Now does this say I could still take off a second off my 1/4 time with the proper launch with a TC. That means I would be in the 13's with just a TC, mufflers, ECU upgrade, and cold air intake. Am I wrong or could this happen?
Old 01-04-02, 08:27 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Okay.. Will putting a TC in affect my warranty? Is my transmission going to break in 2 months? What negative effects will it have on my SC??
Old 01-04-02, 10:43 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by abutler696
Thanks again Keith.

Let's say with the proper launch I'm running a 14.9 right now and with the intake I'm about to get I could run a 14.7 or so since it will really kick in my other upgrades. Now does this say I could still take off a second off my 1/4 time with the proper launch with a TC. That means I would be in the 13's with just a TC, mufflers, ECU upgrade, and cold air intake. Am I wrong or could this happen?
It would be safe to say at least a .5 sec improvement. But, BTW what intake is taking .2 sec off your qtr mile time......??????? Thats an huge increase for just an intake in the 14 sec range; like 20-30 hp. I could understand a .2-.5 sec improvement if it were in the 15 sec range. Has someone run that intake before?

The increase from a TC is relative to the vehicle. The key are your short times. What are you running as far as short times on your qtr. mile runs? If your at or below 2, then the gain will be slightly less. If your #'s are higher, then the gain will be more pronounced. It is not hard to imagine a slow SC gaining a full second just by the TC. It's feesable and could make sence if the car had, lets say, slight compression loss or excessive weight or other losses. If the car is running optimally to begin with, the the gains would be slightly less, but a safe guess to the gains you would get would be 1/2 a sec.

I do doubt the mods listed could drop you into the 13's though. What have you been running so far? My guess is mid 14's with what you have listed with the TC.

Let us know how things turn out.

Keith
Old 01-04-02, 10:54 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Keith13b

It would be safe to say at least a .5 sec improvement. But, BTW what intake is taking .2 sec off your qtr mile time......??????? Thats an huge increase for just an intake in the 14 sec range; like 20-30 hp. I could understand a .2-.5 sec improvement if it were in the 15 sec range. Has someone run that intake before?

The increase from a TC is relative to the vehicle. The key are your short times. What are you running as far as short times on your qtr. mile runs? If your at or below 2, then the gain will be slightly less. If your #'s are higher, then the gain will be more pronounced. It is not hard to imagine a slow SC gaining a full second just by the TC. It's feesable and could make sence if the car had, lets say, slight compression loss or excessive weight or other losses. If the car is running optimally to begin with, the the gains would be slightly less, but a safe guess to the gains you would get would be 1/2 a sec.

I do doubt the mods listed could drop you into the 13's though. What have you been running so far? My guess is mid 14's with what you have listed with the TC.

Let us know how things turn out.

Keith
That's why for hevy and powerful cars like the SC400 the torque convertor would be ideal. Hehehe. I need one on my SC300 too. Automatic tranny doesn't let the car accelerate till I hit about 25 mph.
Old 01-04-02, 11:19 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by mjames08
Okay.. Will putting a TC in affect my warranty? Is my transmission going to break in 2 months? What negative effects will it have on my SC??
Warrenty? Don't know - just ask them (stay anymonous though!) but no one will know its there unless the transmission is being worked on under warrenty. Outa site, outta mind. But its safe to say that if your A/C breaks, it shouldn't void the coverage for that, it should only void the transmission coverage.

Breaking your transmission??? Actually the opposite. It will make your transmission stronger and more reliable.

The only neg effect is possibly a slight loss in fuel economy because you drive the car harder.
Old 01-04-02, 07:23 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

My 60 foot time was 2.248 and 1/8 mile was 9.696 and my 1/4 was 15.049 at 91.91 mph.
Old 01-04-02, 07:47 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

So Keith, you think that if i take my car to a non lexus dealer (just some transmission shop), I can get it installed for less than 500$?
If thats true I'm thinking I may buy one VERY soon......

Jason
Old 01-04-02, 08:03 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

o also keith, is your TC the dragon one from lexussc400.com ?

Jason

Quick Reply: chip or torque converter