Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Click, click, vrrooom (SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 04:51 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this problem just 2 days ago and had some help from some CL bros...WilliamN and RScott. It was sometimes taking me about 15 tries before my car would start...just one click each time.

Basically, I started at the battery terminal. My + terminal was kinda corroded and broken down, so I replaced it, but still had the same problem. The problem on my car was the contact going into the starter. It looked clean, but once we took it apart and brushed it off a little bit and put it all back together, my car started 100% of the time. I haven't had a problem since.

So start at the + terminal and follow that wire. It leads directly to the starter. We unbolted the wire where it goes into the starter and cleaned that off. We didn't remove the starter or replace it at all. (replace "we" with "WilliamN" )

Good luck.

Last edited by howiedoit; 09-13-07 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 11:04 AM
RDKUT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks im going try that. I took something apart which I believe is the starter, (see picture below) However my replacement parts dont seem to fit anywhere in there. Did I take apart the starter? or is this a picture of something else? Trying to figure out how to put the replacement parts in

Old 09-25-07, 04:58 PM
RDKUT
Driver School Candidate

ahhhhh, now that i took that core piece out, the casing separated into 3 parts, i think i have to move the 4 points (they look like contacts) out to push the whole core together, but seems impossible. Has anybody had success taking apart their starter like this?
Old 09-25-07, 05:12 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap you've gone way too far.

In the bottom picture, bottom part. Clean or replace all the copper, including the other contact not pictured.

In the bottom picture, top part. Clean the round copper part with a wire wheel or sanding disk.

Blow the case out with air, reassemble, and no more click. Just vroom.

KC
Old 09-27-07, 12:17 PM
RDKUT
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone explain how this whole thing goes back together? The bottom picture are parts I got from a place on ebay.. they weren't orginally in the car.. just the pieces from the top picture came from the car.. now they are literally all in pieces!

DOH
Old 09-27-07, 03:58 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Starter is located under the intake plenum on the driver's side. It's bolted through the block to the bell housing of the tranny. Here's the Supra manual showing a view from under the car: http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/...ent/index.html

-scott
Old 09-28-07, 05:21 PM
juiSCee
Pole Position

man... I had the same problem.. but i decided just to replace it with a rebuilt 1 from the dealer. my mechanic took my starter out, but dude... it didnt look the way yours does in the pictures... i think that sucker only has 2 or 3 bolts and thats it. but then again, we didnt try to take it apart, we just replaced it

GL man...
Old 09-28-07, 08:17 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

your starter solenoid is going bad, just replace the starter and you'll be good
Old 09-30-07, 10:29 AM
RDKUT
Driver School Candidate

Yea, I pretty much took it way to far.. I'm going to make one last effort to get the whole thing removed so I can get it back together else I have to tow it to my Lexus guy the saga continues!