Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whats Better? Twin Turbo or Big Single Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 08:48 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats Better? Twin Turbo or Big Single Turbo?

For those of you that saw my last thread, I was getting ready to buy a 96' Soarer that had a twin turbo motor, converted to a single turbo(T-67) +Mines ECU blah blah blah.

Well I have no clue whats going on now because its like pulling teeth to get an answer from the seller, who is one of my friends, regarding getting a title for this vehicle.

So I am now looking at a twin turbo SC and a single turbo SC. Both of them are "Semi-Stock" but I just wanted to know which one has the most potential....In terms of horse power?
Old 09-13-07, 08:59 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Single will net you the most HP.
Old 09-13-07, 09:10 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Single FTW
Old 09-13-07, 09:16 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

single is the way to go for hp, dual is all right for just some good low end grunt. go single
Old 09-13-07, 09:22 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Different strokes for different folks. Depends on what you want to do. I have a single kit sitting at home, but I enjoy the twins enough to not install the kit.

But if your looking for more power single would be a much better option.
Old 09-13-07, 09:26 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

SINGLE BABY........when they say semi stock....thats not possible for a single turbo 1j/2j.......single turbo upgrade is past the semi stock stage, from BPU to APU.....
Old 09-13-07, 12:53 PM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Turbo

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
SINGLE BABY........when they say semi stock....thats not possible for a single turbo 1j/2j.......single turbo upgrade is past the semi stock stage, from BPU to APU.....
I just went and test drove a 92' SC today with a 1jz swap which still had the stock twin turbo's and the Soarer tranny was swapped as well. It had the new SC430 wheels on it too...which I'm not a big fan of but..oh well. A total overhaul was done on the motor and tranny before installation too but MAN...was it ever a dog! haha

It was in hella good condition though! and he show'd me receipts for all the overhaul and diagnostic work that was done to it. Basically the only thing that was aftermarket on the car was the blow off valve and some kind of engine management system. He added the mgmt system due to the injectors spitting more fuel out than it could burn....? which he thinks that somebody put bigger injectors in it because the new mgmt system fixed the problem.

Selling price is $10,500 I bet it's a good deal but I wonder how much it's going to cost me to put a T67 in it and all the other stuff that was done to the REAL soarer....?
Old 09-13-07, 02:36 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaser07
I just went and test drove a 92' SC today with a 1jz swap which still had the stock twin turbo's and the Soarer tranny was swapped as well. It had the new SC430 wheels on it too...which I'm not a big fan of but..oh well. A total overhaul was done on the motor and tranny before installation too but MAN...was it ever a dog! haha

It was in hella good condition though! and he show'd me receipts for all the overhaul and diagnostic work that was done to it. Basically the only thing that was aftermarket on the car was the blow off valve and some kind of engine management system. He added the mgmt system due to the injectors spitting more fuel out than it could burn....? which he thinks that somebody put bigger injectors in it because the new mgmt system fixed the problem.

Selling price is $10,500 I bet it's a good deal but I wonder how much it's going to cost me to put a T67 in it and all the other stuff that was done to the REAL soarer....?
If it was a 67DBB turbo alone will run in the $1300 and up range,you'll need manifold,downpipe,dumptube,wastegate and oil lines at a minimum. Not sure what EMS the car has now but that will need to be retuned.
Old 09-13-07, 03:12 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Single
Old 09-13-07, 07:08 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

single is better!!
Old 09-13-07, 09:22 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

t67 DBB....oh yeah!!!!
Old 09-14-07, 07:06 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Garrett?..

Originally Posted by cherplex
If it was a 67DBB turbo alone will run in the $1300 and up range,you'll need manifold,downpipe,dumptube,wastegate and oil lines at a minimum. Not sure what EMS the car has now but that will need to be retuned.
It was a T-67 Garrett Ball Bearing Turbo. Haha Thats all I know about the turbo.

So basically what your saying is go ahead and buy the real soarer for $15k, then get it titled, and it will be more worth it than starting from scratch... from $10,500?

The car has been tuned by GS Motorsports here in Dallas and I hear they are a pretty reputable company, so at least the place that I will be taking it to, is familiar with the car.

Oh yea, just found out that the title for this car is going to cost me $2,240.00 and can be done next week. I guess we're getting somewhere :-)
Old 09-14-07, 07:09 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Right Hand Drive?...Sh*#@!

Originally Posted by Chaser07
It was a T-67 Garrett Ball Bearing Turbo. Haha Thats all I know about the turbo.

So basically what your saying is go ahead and buy the real soarer for $15k, then get it titled, and it will be more worth it than starting from scratch... from $10,500?

The car has been tuned by GS Motorsports here in Dallas and I hear they are a pretty reputable company, so at least the place that I will be taking it to, is familiar with the car.

Oh yea, just found out that the title for this car is going to cost me $2,240.00 and can be done next week. I guess we're getting somewhere :-)
I forgot that I am going to have to learn how to drive a stick again...From the other side of the car....Does anybody know how hard this is going to be?...My daily driver is an automatic so I guess I wont get thrown off too bad..
Old 09-14-07, 08:37 PM
SimplyZBes
Masterhater

Thumbs up SimplyZBes

Think of it this way, 2 turbo's = 2 set of problems.
Old 09-14-07, 11:11 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

i understand that a big single is the best for HP. But i hear alot of people upgrading there stock twins to something like 2 gt35's....Whats up with that?

Quick Reply: Whats Better? Twin Turbo or Big Single Turbo?