Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another SC400T in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 03:21 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry

I'm working on figuring out how to ditch the hydraulic fan. I saw a post by jibby on how he did it but im trying to see if theres a way to do it while keeping the pulley there...

Lex has what you need.
Old 11-10-07, 03:39 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys. Going to look into that.
Old 11-10-07, 06:17 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

That fan that I decided to use is from a Ford Taurus 3.8L. It's supposed to move about 4000 cfm on the high setting
Old 11-10-07, 09:49 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Change of plans, Rather than going from the driver side head im going to go from the passenger side of the header. I forgot the PS rack is on the driver side which would get in the way.

I'm working on figuring out how to ditch the hydraulic fan. I saw a post by jibby on how he did it but im trying to see if theres a way to do it while keeping the pulley there...
Hey Curry, exciting to see you going FI....Only a few years ago, the naysayers were stating that it could not be done...I knew this would happen.... Looking forward to your build.

I am just reading your thread...Are you planning to relocate the battery to the trunk? I assume you will locate the turbo on the driver side? I believe this is how Steve Chumo is setting his FI up. Nice design on the tubes...Logs should work just fine...Anderson Audio got over 700 RWHP on log style headers with twins, so, you can get great power from logs...Remember, you have the AC on the driver side, the PS pump on the passenger side, and the PS rack on both sides. the steering column is a serious impediment to running a down pipe, no way around that unless you go under the K member.

I ran the LS400 pulley conversion, and it is indeed a bolt on set up, but that pulley is expensive. Spot on fix, though...Wheter you go with the pulley or a plate, you will do fine...

Excitement!!!

Ryan
Old 11-10-07, 10:13 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan,

The pulley is not expensive ($50) but the ORIGINAL (LEXUS) fan bracket retail at around $249 to $299 depending where you get them.
Old 11-10-07, 10:23 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$300 for this set up? That's quite expensive. I can make a complete blocking plate including the pulley for $50 for anyone. I'd say it'll be a complete bolt-on kit because the stock belt will be used as before. 5 years warranty! I can use this $$ to buy the Split Second fuel injector controller. Any interest?
Old 11-10-07, 10:49 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this off topic, but it will eliminate the hydro fan and the tank too?
Old 11-10-07, 11:12 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Ryan,

The pulley is not expensive ($50) but the ORIGINAL (LEXUS) fan bracket retail at around $249 to $299 depending where you get them.
David, that is what I was referring to...The Fan bracket...

Ryan
Old 11-11-07, 08:54 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Ryan,

My original plan was to bring the turbo right to the middle and make the custom manifold on the passenger side. The down pipe would then go straight down and back.

The reason I'm not doing it from the driver side it because there is just way to much stuff going on over there. Its much easier to work with the passenger side. I still have to give my engine bay and underneath a thorough inspection to see EXACTLY where everything is going to be going.

Good news!!! The LS400 motor sitting in my yard HAS the fan bracket/pulley! WOOO. I'm going to yank it off, paint it purple and slap an HKS sticker on it.

So im going to go ahead and order that Taurus fan and have that done.

My Intercooler is going to be ordered soon along with the piping.

2.5 Inlet/Outlet

Overall size: 29x11x3 inch

Core Size: 24x11x3 inch

After we set that up its just a matter of cutting, tacking and getting the shop to clean up the welds on my hot pipes. Tap the oil pan, We mount up the turbo and its ready to run. I have a walbro and 440 injectors sitting here as well. So I might throw those in.

Here's what the bracket looks like... I hope its the right one... Also not sure... Is the pulley supposed to go where those four bolts are? If so I need to buy one... =P

Last edited by Curry; 11-11-07 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-11-07, 09:06 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ihiryu
I know this off topic, but it will eliminate the hydro fan and the tank too?
Just saw this,

Im not sure about the tank, but I know for sure you kiss your hydro fan goodbye.
Old 11-11-07, 12:23 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Curry, sounds like a good design...Yeah, the drivers side is definitely crowded, and no way of a down pipe over there, unless you lose the AC, (No way Man). Your pic is correct, that is the bracket, and it is missing the pulley. Lucky for you, you have the most expensive part, the bracket...

I am subscribed...

Ryan

Ryan,

My original plan was to bring the turbo right to the middle and make the custom manifold on the passenger side. The down pipe would then go straight down and back.

The reason I'm not doing it from the driver side it because there is just way to much stuff going on over there. Its much easier to work with the passenger side. I still have to give my engine bay and underneath a thorough inspection to see EXACTLY where everything is going to be going.

Good news!!! The LS400 motor sitting in my yard HAS the fan bracket/pulley! WOOO. I'm going to yank it off, paint it purple and slap an HKS sticker on it.

So im going to go ahead and order that Taurus fan and have that done.

My Intercooler is going to be ordered soon along with the piping.

2.5 Inlet/Outlet

Overall size: 29x11x3 inch

Core Size: 24x11x3 inch

After we set that up its just a matter of cutting, tacking and getting the shop to clean up the welds on my hot pipes. Tap the oil pan, We mount up the turbo and its ready to run. I have a walbro and 440 injectors sitting here as well. So I might throw those in.

Here's what the bracket looks like... I hope its the right one... Also not sure... Is the pulley supposed to go where those four bolts are? If so I need to buy one... =P

Old 11-11-07, 12:51 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Sounds good. Going to get the pulley for it then...

I just finished taking more crap off the motor and I got the fan bracket off without a problem... Easy as pie.

Pic of the motor being dismantled

Old 11-11-07, 07:58 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

I was thinking.. If i do decide to do twins later wouldn't it be a better idea to not connect the exhaust manifolds and just run the turbo off one bank... I could then build a normal manifold.

I know its not as efficient but it seems like a better game plan...

OR

I could even flip one of those manifolds from the LS motor and stick it on the passenger side.. attach a cat flange to the up pipe.. and BAM!

Again i know its not efficient... but for the sake of experimentation... and getting the thing to work...

im just throwing stuff out there.. let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-12-07, 10:48 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Ok so I spoke the mr. lextreme a while ago and decided against just using one bank.

I'm going to flip BOTH headers and join them in the front... I can always upgrade to aftermarket headers down the road.

Rather than make a custom manifold and join them from the rear.