Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

engine temp reads HOT! anyone familiar with the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 09:45 PM
HmoobSC300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine temp reads HOT! anyone familiar with the problem?

This just happened a few days ago but my stock temp gauge has been acting funny lately. it'll warm up run normal for a bit, then shoot way past the normal mark showing the car running VERY hot, then a few seconds later it'll shoot right down back to normal as fast as it climbed. does this throughout my whole trip. any thoughts as to what might be the problem? bad thermostat? coolant level was fine a week ago, I'll double check tomorrow just to make sure. Thanks is advanced.
Old 09-19-07, 10:06 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully its not too serious of an issue like headgasket, but try checking/changing out the themostat first as it may be stuck closed. This also should be in the Performance section =).
Old 09-19-07, 10:22 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

low on fluid it sounds like
Old 09-20-07, 12:35 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

I had this same problem with my new radiator (Fluydine)sp; I had to burp the coolant system to get it working correctly. It would be fine all day, then go all the way up to red, then back down. Check for your fluid level, you should never lose any fluid and if its below the top of the fins inside the radiator, you have a leak or it was an air bubble you never fixed. Raise the front of the car to make the radiator cap higher then any part of the engine, and run the car for a bit. It should fill the block and all pertaining passage ways with coolant making the radiator seem low, then fill the remaining volume in the radiator and you should be good! That, or run the car until the coolant under the cap is running through the radiator and fill accordingly, allow to cool and finish filling after fluid level has set. I'm sure you know how to do all this, but I explained in detail because I'm bored and trying to break in this new keyboard
Old 09-20-07, 10:29 AM
habitat
Lead Lap

I had this same exact issue, it stemmed from a broken heater control valve unit which ended up breaking the thermometer and then ended up blowing my radiator shroud up.

I would recommend replacing the thermometer IMMEDIATELY and check out your HCV. Also check your fluids.