Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Over Drive Problem Thread (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 04:08 PM
want sc300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i just replaced both solenoids and they both are good the only solenoid i did not replace is the ECT solenoid. and that is only for torque converter lock up.

and i have no idea what pins those are cause i cannot find any pic info so i can locate them.

also there is no code the O/D light is not flashing
Old 09-24-07, 11:53 AM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Default Over drive not engaging.

Hey I have a 92 sc3 with 155k and my over drive is not functioning properly. I pulled a code and it was from 1 of my solenoids, I replaced all 3 noids and have no codes now. 1st gear through 3rd will switch fine but it will not go into O/D. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-07, 12:46 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

i would like to add that my o/d light keeps flashing but the o/d works just fine when i switch it back and forth. could anyone help us?
Old 09-24-07, 12:57 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Before i replaced my noids, the o/d light would blink all the time but never engage. Now it's not blinking and still wont engage. Please help.
Old 09-24-07, 01:58 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

jumped in before the move to the engine tranny section lol
Old 09-24-07, 03:31 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Any help???? I doubt im the only person who has had this problem. Imagine your car never switching to 4th gear.....people honking at you on the hwy cause the limits 70, they are going 80 and i cant go past 60 b/c its revs to high....friggen sucks I tell you.
Old 09-24-07, 04:08 PM
sliva001
Lead Lap

read the trouble code and change the bad solenoid! its easy.
Old 09-24-07, 05:13 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sliva001
read the trouble code and change the bad solenoid! its easy.
Originally Posted by bigmurch
I pulled a code and it was from 1 of my solenoids, I replaced all 3 noids and have no codes now.
You are correct, it was very easy. And there is no code now, but it still wont shift to O/D.
Old 09-24-07, 06:30 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Any ideas ??
Old 09-24-07, 09:28 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

I'm having this problem with my 92 sc300 as well. I never had any flashing O/D light or CEL, but when I first got the car with about 220k it would randomly shift from 3rd to 4th if I was cruising anywhere from 40 to 50 mph. So I checked the tranny fluid and it looked like a chocolate shake and had a burnt smell. After digging through a book of records, I found one for a tranny flush that was done around 60k. So that means it had been since then that the fluid was most likely changed last.

So after about 5 drain and fills over the last few hundred miles the fluid is starting to come out cleaner, but it is probably going to take a few more before its totally clean. At the time I started to do this, it was giving me the erratic shifting, but would still stick to 4th on the highways. Then all of the sudden it won't go into 4th. So after the first couple of drains it still wouldn't shift into 4th, except when I am decelerating it will kick up a gear then back down as soon as I touch the gas.

It feels like it really wants to go into gear but something is holding it back. I tried turning O/D on and off while I was going around 50 and it would cause a slight hesitation but then doesn't do anything. This all leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere within the torque converter, but simply changing the fluid isn't solving the problem. Now I'm no expert but from all the searching I've done on here I have a list of possible causes..

-shift solenoids
-ect solenoid
-o/d sensor wire
-kick down cable
-trans fluid temp sensor
-magnets in pan coming loose
-trans fluid
-trans ecu
-torque converter gone
-transmission gone

My next step is to check it for codes (even though I don't get a CEL light, but who knows maybe the light is just blown out?) and then run through all of the above until I get it figured out. There are so many threads on here, especially recently, but it seems that nobody knows the cause of this and they all go unanswered. If anyone that has solved this problem and can chime in with some info please do. Surely there are some transmission experts here that can help diagnose this?
Old 09-25-07, 09:50 AM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MCG33
Then all of the sudden it won't go into 4th. So after the first couple of drains it still wouldn't shift into 4th, except when I am decelerating it will kick up a gear then back down as soon as I touch the gas.

It feels like it really wants to go into gear but something is holding it back. I tried turning O/D on and off while I was going around 50 and it would cause a slight hesitation but then doesn't do anything.
I could not have said it any better myself. Would the magnets in the pan have anything to do with our problem?? Because after reinstalling my pan i forgot to put them in, i thought they are there to collect any metal shavings. A buddy at work agrees with you and thinks it the kick down cable, what is it's function and how does it affect gear shifts.?
Old 09-25-07, 09:52 AM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

MCG33, what part of GA are you in? I live in Auburn and
work in Suwanee.

Last edited by bigmurch; 09-25-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-25-07, 03:23 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

I am currently having the same problem (started a different thread) Does anybody have any solid advice?? I also chaged the solenoids (3 total), and it didnt pull a code afterwards but will still not shift to 4th. Please help us, this problem is a pita.
Old 09-25-07, 03:27 PM
SCFrogger
Driver School Candidate

have you tried kicking the transmission really hard =)
just kidding. or am i???
Old 09-25-07, 03:32 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

I have read through all the related posts and still have problems. I pulled the code, bought the noids, installed the noids, code gone, o/d blinking gone, car shifts smoother but will NOT shift to 4th. This damn thing is killing me. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Over Drive Problem Thread (Merged)