Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Over Drive Problem Thread (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 03:36 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to drive the damn thing off a cliff, but i probably couldnt get enough speed up since i only have 3 gears.
Old 09-25-07, 03:36 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Old 09-25-07, 03:46 PM
want sc300
Rookie

Default trans problem

ok i have recently purchased a 1992 lexus sc300 and i recently replaced the #1 and #2 solenoids due to no 1st or second gear in d range. also before doing the repair i noticed that 4th (O/D) was not always going into gear it would just stay in 3rd. under hard aceleration it would try to shift into 4th but then just kicking right back out again.

now after replacing the soleniods i have 1st 2nd and 3rd add in d range. but still having problems with 4th. recently i have noticed that when the weather is cool out it will shift fine. even a a good half hour drive 4th will work fine.

the fluid is kinda burnt but i am afraid that i will clog my new solenoids with old debre because it has about 218,000 miles on it and i dont know the last time the tranny fluid was flushed

please help
Old 09-25-07, 04:38 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same exact problem. I have 92 sc3 with 155 and I just recently replaced all noides b/c it was not switching to 4th. But even after replacing them it still won’t switch to 4th (but like you said, when its cool outside it will switch and stay in gear for a while) something is up, there are a couple other threads like this and none help our particular problem. Maybe we have old *** lemons.
Old 09-25-07, 06:35 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

my o/d is constantly after the 2jzgte swap. any idea's?
before it was just randomly but it did actually switch gears. =(
Old 09-25-07, 07:18 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigmurch
I could not have said it any better myself. Would the magnets in the pan have anything to do with our problem?? Because after reinstalling my pan i forgot to put them in, i thought they are there to collect any metal shavings. A buddy at work agrees with you and thinks it the kick down cable, what is it's function and how does it affect gear shifts.?
As far as the magnets, I was thinking that they could have come loose and be clogging up the trans or torque converter somehow.. but thats not very likely. Without the magnet in it could possibly be metal shavings being cycled through the tranny and stopping it from engaging gears, but the fact that it always happens in the same manner (rpm/speed range) also means thats not very likely. The kick down cable is what regulates pressure in the valve body to determine how hard and fast it shifts. There is a thread posted by Pheonix in the ES forum about the cable that explains it pretty well. Here is a little excerpt:

Anyone that's looked into making serious power gains on any A/T Toyota engine will notice the second most important upgrade to the A/T is to upgrade the valve body. By raising the pressure in it, the shifts are much harder, and faster. This gives quicker shifts and also reduced wear on the transmission. (less heat is produced)

Most of you that poke around the engine bay will see two cables going to your throttle body. Obviously one is the throttle, but what is the other cable? A good guess would be cruise control, however that is incorrect.
The second cable is the "Throttle Kick-down Cable" and it's function is close to what the name says. It controls a valve in the transmission's valve body that can increase, and decrease the pressure in the valve body.
(A great example is the ECT button on the transmission. With it held down, the transmission shifts harder, and holds gear longer. The astute among you notice if you get on the throttle hard enough at the "right" RPM range the same thing is accomplished. This is because the cable is tighter the more the throttle is open.)
So basically I was going to try adjusting mine to see if it will hold shifts longer and see if it will actually shift past that tc lockup range. Then making it shift quicker and harder to see if that helps. I just need a day off and someone a little more mechanically inclined than myself to try and solve this. It doesn't seem as though anyone here has figured it out.

I'm located in Roswell btw, just north of Atlanta. You should check out www.seloc.net to find more Lexus owners in our area. I just went to my first meet last week, lots of cool people and cars.
Old 09-25-07, 07:55 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

My question about the kick down cable goes to show my real knowledge about cars b/c when my bro and I replaced the noides we also adjusted the cable for better shift speeds. Shift speeds where increased and the new noides made the transition from gear to gear a lot smoother, but as stated before....still no 4th. It’s a cooler night here in GA so hopefully my ride home tonight will be a good one. (meaning maybe a couple shifts into 4th for 5-10 min, save a little gas.) We have 4 threads going now about this issue and no real definitive answers. Bumpty bump.
Old 09-25-07, 08:49 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

I can't believe that I just noticed this, but everyone that has had this problem on the forum seems to be from Georgia or the southeast in general, and with a 1992 SC300. Maybe we all got a defect from the same production run? What are the production dates on y'alls vehicles? I'll go out and check mine in the morning..

This is just such an odd problem and we all have the exact same symptoms! Coincidence??
Old 09-26-07, 12:55 PM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

this same thing just started happening to me last night too
Old 09-26-07, 12:58 PM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

i have same prob i have a 93
Old 09-26-07, 01:13 PM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

i am having a similar problem but when i start moving from a stop it seems like the tranny is slipping, it will rev to a lil over 1500rpm and then engage, then its been cruising in 3rd but today when i turned my ac on it went right into OD so i have OD with ac on but no OD ith the ac off is that a similar problem to you guys or is it just a solinoid
Old 09-26-07, 02:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hmm i have a problem kinda simliar like u guys, the car would hesitate for 2-3 seconds and then it'll shift, when it finally shifts it jerks the whole car forward. the tranny fluid is fine and perfect. this problem is FREAKIN annoying because it kinda vibrates the car when its hesitating. but mine is a LS400, 93.
Old 09-26-07, 03:07 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

We have 4 threads going now about this issues. Bottom line, if noides are replaced and o/d still does not engage but all other gears do, can anybody think of any solutions or causes for this problem.?
Old 09-26-07, 03:35 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmurch
We have 4 threads going now about this
We DID, I merged them all....People need to search and read before this kinda stuff happens.

Try different wording, or different combinations of words when searching.
Old 09-26-07, 05:02 PM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Moderators.... Do you guys have any idea what may be causing our problems?? The more help the better, this is a big PITA for what seem like a handfull of us. (I'm callin you out O.L.T)

Quick Reply: Over Drive Problem Thread (Merged)