Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Over Drive Problem Thread (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 06:49 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Ok well after a few days of driving it around a bit I think I fixed the problem. After one more drain and fill, I drove it to work and drove THE HELL out of it. Starting out in 2nd, shifting up when I hit red line. Jamming the gas when I reversed (made the tires spin like crazy doin this ). Just generally trying to push out all the little metal bits I noticed in the bottom of the pan after every drain, thinking maybe there was something caught up somewhere. By the time I got there, it was still jumping between 3rd and 4th but seemed to be sticking more in 4th than it did previously.

Now comes the weird part. After work, I go to my car to leave and my buddy can't get his Civic Si started because he left his lights on. He asks me to jump him so I say sure. Pull next to him, hook up the cables to my battery, and when he goes to hook up his, he puts them on backwards. After a nice light show from the sparks and an evil eye from me he puts them on the right way. So as it sits there, I reach over and rev up my engine a bit from the throttle, and it reminded me to check my kick down cable located right next to it. So I feel over and sure enough, the nut farthest from the throttle was loose enough for me to turn with my hand and the cable seemed to not be snuggly into place. So I tightened it as best I could and made sure it was firmly into place as can be.

I get into the car and drive home. Put it in drive, O/D on, ECT off and go along my merry way. Much to my surprise, I get on the road and it starts to shift PERFECTLY! No hesitation, firm shifts, no jumping around. Turn the ECT to power, manually hit the O/D button to switch between the two and everything worked like it should. It felt like a brand new transmission! I thought maybe because it was so cold out that maybe it might be why she drove better because a couple people had said that, but I have driven it first thing in the morning - in the noon heat - and on very cool nights the last couple of days and still it drives great. I really hope that the kick down cable was the problem after all, but in the back of my mind it feels like it is going to start acting up again. Only time can tell I suppose...
Old 11-29-07, 11:56 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MCG33
Ok well after a few days of driving it around a bit I think I fixed the problem. After one more drain and fill, I drove it to work and drove THE HELL out of it. Starting out in 2nd, shifting up when I hit red line. Jamming the gas when I reversed (made the tires spin like crazy doin this ). Just generally trying to push out all the little metal bits I noticed in the bottom of the pan after every drain, thinking maybe there was something caught up somewhere. By the time I got there, it was still jumping between 3rd and 4th but seemed to be sticking more in 4th than it did previously.

Now comes the weird part. After work, I go to my car to leave and my buddy can't get his Civic Si started because he left his lights on. He asks me to jump him so I say sure. Pull next to him, hook up the cables to my battery, and when he goes to hook up his, he puts them on backwards. After a nice light show from the sparks and an evil eye from me he puts them on the right way. So as it sits there, I reach over and rev up my engine a bit from the throttle, and it reminded me to check my kick down cable located right next to it. So I feel over and sure enough, the nut farthest from the throttle was loose enough for me to turn with my hand and the cable seemed to not be snuggly into place. So I tightened it as best I could and made sure it was firmly into place as can be.

I get into the car and drive home. Put it in drive, O/D on, ECT off and go along my merry way. Much to my surprise, I get on the road and it starts to shift PERFECTLY! No hesitation, firm shifts, no jumping around. Turn the ECT to power, manually hit the O/D button to switch between the two and everything worked like it should. It felt like a brand new transmission! I thought maybe because it was so cold out that maybe it might be why she drove better because a couple people had said that, but I have driven it first thing in the morning - in the noon heat - and on very cool nights the last couple of days and still it drives great. I really hope that the kick down cable was the problem after all, but in the back of my mind it feels like it is going to start acting up again. Only time can tell I suppose...
Latest????

Jonny
Old 11-29-07, 01:44 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

I actually just got my SC up and running again today. It's been sitting for about a month because it started idling rough and I couldn't figure out the problem at the time, and now the engine is running ok but the erratic shifting is back. The battery had died while it was sitting and I had to take it out and charge it, so I'm not sure if the ECU being reset has anything to do with the problem. Throttle and kick down cables also seem to be ok so perhaps that fix was just a coincidence. Gonna try a couple more drain/fills over the next few days and see if that does anything.

I really wish I could help more but I am just as stumped as you are. I've never had the O/D light flash though so that could be a separate problem. It's going to the mechanic before too long though once I get a few things fixed on my ES, so I really hope they can figure it out. I will report back soon when I know something.
Old 12-03-07, 07:25 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,

Anyone have a DIY and/or part numbers for replacing transmission solenoid(s)? Anyway to know if just one or both need replaced? I have a flashing O/D light but no CEL and no codes...

Really wanting to get to the bottom of this

Jonny
Old 12-25-07, 08:53 AM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

After flushing tranny fluid, replacing noids (thanks gazi), and adjusting kick down cable and praying to alah.... and still having problems. I may have found another lead on this PITA issue. On consumer guide auto the tranny shift issue is touched on. But they say the cause might be........"Automatic transmission: The car may not upshift, downshift, or may start in the wrong gear on electronically shifted transmissions due to a faulty ground circuit. (1992)
(http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-300-400-2.htm)

So a faulty ground circuit is the next thing on the list to check out. I will try and give some sort of update soon.

Any body else have any updates or solutions?
Old 12-25-07, 09:01 AM
bigmurch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

Anyone have a DIY and/or part numbers for replacing transmission solenoid(s)? Anyway to know if just one or both need replaced? I have a flashing O/D light but no CEL and no codes...

Really wanting to get to the bottom of this

Jonny
Check in the manual about the flashing O/D light. When its flashing its really just telling you to pull a code. I think we did it by having the car off, turning the key and counting the blinks on the o/d light and checking the manual to see what code it is. its lexus morse code.

About the noids, i think its best to replace all three if ur already going to crack her open. Very easy to do. First drain fluid, remove pan bolts, remove 1 bolt per noid, disconnect and connect new ones. Job took me bout an hour to complete. but just a heads up, replacing the noids might not fix the problem, though it will likely fix the blinking light.

Good luck, hope this is some sort of help. Hit up gazi for the noids, i think i paid 50-70 for all three.
Old 12-25-07, 12:34 PM
dinhNER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt know this thread was still alive lol
Old 08-24-08, 11:32 AM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

Bringing this thread back to the top because my wifes car just started having the problem of not shifting to 4th. There is no OD light blinking, just will not shift to 4th. 1-3 shift fine, but sometimes it seems like it hangs in 2nd a couple seconds longer than it should before it shifts to 3rd.

Have any of you fixed the not shifting to 4th problem yet? If so, what was the fix? Where are you guys buying the solenoids from? I have not been able to find them online anywhere yet.
Old 03-17-09, 11:53 AM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

arrggg my over drive light keeps flashing what is the problem??? i tried to jump e1 and te1 terminals and both engine light and o/d are flashing..