Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AFM cleaning: need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 10:23 AM
SCFrogger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFM cleaning: need help

Hi everyone, i am fairly new here so nothing like a first major problem to take the time to say hello.

picked up a 95 sc300 and am loving every day of it.
so far thanks to the wonderful information here, i have managed to put on a k&n filter and install a 10" free air kicker in the rear deck. thanks for all the great info guys.

anywho, on to my problem..

I may have over oiled my filter (in fact i am positive about this)

the filter is fine now but i think it has coated my AFM sensor because a couple days later i lost my punch in acceleration, could basically smell something funny with the exhaust, and my car seems to suck down gas faster than a.. well ill leave that one to the imagination.

so i took the sensor out, realized it is a Karman Vortex deal which i am not used to at all. i did some reading and located the two metal mirror looking things and i dripped some electrical contact cleaner on it and wiped it off with some paper towel edge because i couldnt fit the q-tip all the way in.

let it dry and put it back on and the car fires up and stalls.
i took it back out and dried it with a hairdryer making sure not to get it too hot. put it back on and reset ecu.

now it runs kinda fine until it gets over 3k rpm and then stalls, light will come on and it wont idle right until i reset it again, where it will idle fine again until i get to 3k rpm and cut out.

basically i dont think i cleaned these mirrors properly, it seems to me that if they need to reflect and arent an electrical part, why would i be using contact cleaner to clean it. also is there another part i should have cleaned that im missing. i will take pics of what im talking about tonight but i think anyone whos taken it out should know what i am saying.

looking for any kind of input from anyone who has sucesfully cleaned and put it back in the car. i need to get the car running here pretty soon and am stuck. windex comes to mind, but i am afraid of the ammonia. maybe just water. please help me out.
Old 09-25-07, 11:09 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just sprayed the hell out of the entire inside of my MAF with electric contact cleaner, and let it sit and dry for a day before putting it back in. Worked great for me. If it's your only car though you don't really have that option.
Old 09-25-07, 12:07 PM
SCFrogger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can let it sit for a day, just not like a week you know.
maybe i didn't go at it with enough cleaner.

so you mean you sprayed the whole plastic tube looking thing, the 2 metal peices at the base of the plastic tube, and inside that big hole at the end of the plastic tube?
if you did then i will attack it again tonight with a good coating.