Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 soarer,mkIII differences

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 09:46 PM
4000GT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good plan
Old 09-30-07, 03:44 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

in for info.

i think u may be fine, especially considering you have a swan neck rod. if you really think about it, the swan neck rod will put you an additional 1-2 inches back. my w58 also has a swan neck rod...whole is forward a couple inches forward from where rod comes inside the cabin.
Old 09-30-07, 04:16 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
in for info.

i think u may be fine, especially considering you have a swan neck rod. if you really think about it, the swan neck rod will put you an additional 1-2 inches back. my w58 also has a swan neck rod...whole is forward a couple inches forward from where rod comes inside the cabin.
I did think of this. Thats why I won't alter it until I put it in. If it needs extending I can just remove the shift lever instead of modding the shift linkage which involves taking apart the tranny a little.
Old 10-02-07, 10:14 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Info is great, anyone have any idea how long the extension SHOULD be? this is just a 2.5 inch extension. I've seen posts where they say to extend it atleast 4 maybe 5. anyone have real experience with this?
Old 10-03-07, 06:40 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is another pic of one of my soarer trannys with out the shifter.

Old 10-04-07, 06:25 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Blizzy is correct in that there is a swan-neck shifter. The mk3 trans is actually the early model soarer trans which is why almost fits. When I first did the trans modification my shifter looked exactly like the slightly bent shifter and thus why I only used the small extension. Others have used larger extensions to accomodate for different shifters. After months of research many of the aussies are just removing the vibration isolator sleeve on their mk3 shifter and bent the shifter rod slightly to create a make-shift swan neck. I will try and post all my new findings over the last few months after work to show what I mean.
Old 10-04-07, 12:45 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Blizzy is correct in that there is a swan-neck shifter. The mk3 trans is actually the early model soarer trans which is why almost fits. When I first did the trans modification my shifter looked exactly like the slightly bent shifter and thus why I only used the small extension. Others have used larger extensions to accomodate for different shifters. After months of research many of the aussies are just removing the vibration isolator sleeve on their mk3 shifter and bent the shifter rod slightly to create a make-shift swan neck. I will try and post all my new findings over the last few months after work to show what I mean.
That would be great! I remember sending you a pm a while back on club na-t about this very same subject. Well.. haha I went ahead with it
Old 10-04-07, 01:20 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
from my research, the length from the front of the bellhousing to where the 2 pins are for a w58 is only about 1/2 or so inch longer than a mkiii r154 with 1jz bellhousing. if u can just modify the shifter rod, then all is solved...i have yet to try this but this was what i was thinking. btw, this is on early w58's with the swan neck like mine.

who can confirm for me that a mkiii r154 shifter rod is straight or swan necked? or even if a w58 rod can fit into the r154?
Old 10-04-07, 01:43 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Well, the shifter in the pic is from a jdm mkiii and its definately swan necked. No idea about the w58 shifter compatability
Old 10-04-07, 03:22 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hey fellas just got home from work and I have to upload some pics on a server to be able to show you guys but ill get a real post up tonight sometime. sorry for the wait but it should make for an extremely cheap option... as in a few minutes with a torch and some gloves....
Old 10-05-07, 03:48 PM
4000GT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
from my research, the length from the front of the bellhousing to where the 2 pins are for a w58 is only about 1/2 or so inch longer than a mkiii r154 with 1jz bellhousing. if u can just modify the shifter rod, then all is solved...i have yet to try this but this was what i was thinking. btw, this is on early w58's with the swan neck like mine.

who can confirm for me that a mkiii r154 shifter rod is straight or swan necked? or even if a w58 rod can fit into the r154?

MKIII R154 is swain necked.
Old 10-05-07, 08:07 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4000GT
MKIII R154 is swan necked.
but not as swan-necked as the first iteration of the JZZ30 Soarer R154 from 91-93. thus the difficuties with the fitment since the A7 Supra shifter wants to run into the ash tray.

by the way, I am still waiting for my final quote from Carson for the 91-93 Soarer shifter. I already have a quote for the other two parts needed, but it is useless without the shifter.

I really want to get my tranny converted so that I can share the result with everyone to present the solution as one that is not only viable but also proven to work.
Old 10-05-07, 08:10 PM
4000GT
Driver School Candidate

The shifter is about NZD400 from Toyota full retail.

I just got my shifter back from 2JZswap / Tech2Motorsports. i swill reserve comment on it till they get back to me about an issue.

I am trying to determine the speed sensor to use now...
Old 11-15-07, 10:46 AM
rmj_vip
Driver School Candidate

just started building an sc300 drift car to replace our 240sx. this information is golden
Old 11-15-07, 01:17 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rmj_vip
just started building an sc300 drift car to replace our 240sx. this information is golden
this link should help out as well: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=108

Quick Reply: R154 soarer,mkIII differences