Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

970rwhp on Stock GE short block

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 09:37 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice numbers and beautiful black SC

gadgetSC
Old 10-01-07, 10:32 AM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!
Congrads!
Old 10-01-07, 04:50 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of boost are you running??
Old 10-01-07, 07:56 PM
dohc3ltt
Pole Position

it was running 35psi
Old 10-01-07, 11:10 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So it's basically a GTE without the oil squirters and the GTE pistons? Where's the surprise?

You're also aware you will have rod bearing issues shortly, aren't you? You might want to datalog your oil pressure to shut down before it tosses the rod out the side. It is a common issue over 900 whp on stock internals. It's also why there are Clevite bearings for the 2JZ.
I am going to take a guess at this suggestion.

While bearing material is a consideration the problem with bearings going out is either insufficient oil control or in this case at these power levels the rods simply getting pulled to hard and going out of round. Bearings are hydrostatic... IOW they run on a wedge of oil. The crankshaft is never supposed to actually touch the bearings.

Is the answer maybe better rods and or rod bolts?

Do the "clevite" bearings have better ability to withstand a slight touch without spinning (kind of like forged pistons tolerating a touch of detonation)? Are they a stronger steel base that creates a stronger rod big end? Ok, these are technical questions but at these power levels worth asking.
Old 10-07-07, 08:58 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

makes me want to reconsider going 2j swap
Old 10-07-07, 10:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
I am going to take a guess at this suggestion.

While bearing material is a consideration the problem with bearings going out is either insufficient oil control or in this case at these power levels the rods simply getting pulled to hard and going out of round. Bearings are hydrostatic... IOW they run on a wedge of oil. The crankshaft is never supposed to actually touch the bearings.

Do the "clevite" bearings have better ability to withstand a slight touch without spinning (kind of like forged pistons tolerating a touch of detonation)? Are they a stronger steel base that creates a stronger rod big end? Ok, these are technical questions but at these power levels worth asking.
I understand your questions/arguments, and I had the same ones, but apparently the Clevite set handles the higher cylinder pressures better. I really don't know the details of why (maybe they're slightly wider, or have better oil control by design - I'm not sure). What I know for sure is everyone at 1000 crank hp ends up with them at some point. Usually sooner than later. That's why it's important to data log oil pressure - so you know when to change them before it's a problem with a rod sticking out of the block.
Old 10-07-07, 11:01 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
Thats bascially the issue, stock rods after 800-850rwhp usually bend (Like a pretzel); this is the only weak link in the 2jz-gte, that is exactly why people upgrade to the carrillo rods with sps carr rod bolt. (I learned this by being good friends with Paul Efantis and watching him swap a motor out in the MSP supra @ MIR when they bent a rod in one of there race engines).

The pistons are perfectly fine over 1000rwhp, heck I know of a supra owner in NC that made 1030+rwhp with Pauter Rods and stock pistons. Engine builders just go the extra step and slap in better rod bearings for like you said for higher cylinder pressure and oil control (Being the Clevite77, ACL or Power Enterprise) and some that plan to make even more power then the 1000rwhp go with Billet Main caps and 1/2" studs. All about personal preference and how "safe" you want your engine to be, but nothing is bulletproof.
Old 10-09-07, 09:17 AM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice numbers! lol at the Na-t guys startin the 1j vs. na-t battle....... again
Old 11-16-07, 11:35 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 190 Posts

I saw that you are running an AEM ecu, but I was curious on what motor harness you are using? From what i've heard if you swap a gte head from a 2jzgte or 1jzgte you have to swap the electronics aswell? Did you use the stock GE harness with the aem? ty

Edit:: sorry for the old post bringup!
Old 11-16-07, 01:36 PM
k4rr
Driver

Off topic but do you have any more pics of the wing on your car? I just want to see it for the hell of it.
Old 11-16-07, 02:37 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

wow! thats some serious numbers!
Old 11-17-07, 07:56 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

So the question again from me...have you taken it to the track or only to the dyno 50+ times? I love seeing high HP numbers from something like this but is it a dyno queen or a real driven car?
Old 11-17-07, 08:21 AM
rsos1
Rookie

I am also curious as to what wiring harness you used, and how you accomplished the wiring.
Old 11-17-07, 12:36 PM
k4rr
Driver

Originally Posted by rsos1
I am also curious as to what wiring harness you used, and how you accomplished the wiring.
Yeah, I want to know too!

The GTE head swap sounds like a pain in the *** to get everything all working.

Quick Reply: 970rwhp on Stock GE short block