Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CCC-TT's 2JZ-GE to 1JZ-GTE swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 09:39 PM
DominicAN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man for the tips

shoulda seen the tow truck driver's face when i popped the hood then cut the car on hahaha he was impressed all he could say is 'whoa bet this puppy is gonna fly when its all done..." i just looked at him and said its all his im just helping him with it. What he said next made us two laugh cause we know him personally ..."how old are?"...17 says bobby..."oh just dont go nick hogan on us"

night fellas
Old 10-11-07, 07:13 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

haha so we drove it home form the shop last night, it was on an open dp and was loud as hell lol. it sounded really good but we didnt open it up cause i'm still on the stock fuel pump and havent finished the tach wiring or the starter wiring. I did manage to stall it out without realizing it... oh well. Dan got a video on his fone of it driving down the road.
And boy was it entertaining to see the looks on the neighborhood kid's faces when they heard those turbos lol
Old 10-11-07, 07:29 PM
DominicAN
Rookie

yeah the n00b managed to stall a car that had 0 miles on the clutch/flywheel combo within feet of pulling away from the shop
Old 10-13-07, 06:51 AM
seeya
Lead Lap

Bobby glad to here it is all coming together. My na-t project should be done within a months time and then we will have to get together
Old 10-13-07, 10:38 AM
SCFrogger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DominicAN
yeah the n00b managed to stall a car that had 0 miles on the clutch/flywheel combo within feet of pulling away from the shop
LOL.. that made me laugh. good work all around guys. i'm goin na-t myself but you guys made me think twice about it.

when i bought my first manual car (93 240sx) I didn't stall it for about 4 months cause i knew how to drive a stick pretty well. not even once.
its pretty nerve wrecking wondering when your finally gonna slip up and stall it

Glad to see you got that out of the way nice and early .
now put those turbos to work
Old 10-13-07, 06:08 PM
DominicAN
Rookie

more progress in the last two days, found out the hard way that the car was running solely on battery power so had to swap the GE alternator onto the 1jz....took us 5 min to take off the GE and me 10min to put on GTE haha. The DP is finally mated to the exhaust so the car is quite the sleeper until you hear the twins spool up and the ARC bov vent, thanks to Race Related for the awesome fab work. We are getting there, the tach issue is taken care of just have to get the temp guage to work. Still havent figured out which way we want to tackle the starter deal but we'll be doing that tomorrow as well as figuring out what the misfire issue over 3k is about.

Car sounds like a volvo 960 now its funny to think it has 2 turbos attached to it even though the car looks 100% stock body wise with some wheels
Old 10-13-07, 06:38 PM
DominicAN
Rookie

So far things to expect when going 1jz into a 5 speed SC300:

-ALL of the wiring going in through the firewall on the passenger side have to be extended 18-23 inches as the JDM harness is only long enough to fit in a RHD model...these connect to PCM and body electronics

-Swap Alternators (use USDM GE)...unless your swap comes with the alternator harness which is highly unlikely

-Swap AC compressors (use USDM GE) ours is shot so we'll have to get a remanufactured or new one

-Use 94+ mk4 Supra throttle cable and use 94+ mk4 Supra Cruise control cable...you wont need the servo motor just the cable

-If your swap is auto you will need to take the bracket that holds the Cruise and Throttle cables and slide it back one bolt hole towards firewall so that you can correctly fasten both cables in place

-If using the stock Soarer sidemount the section of intercooler tubing that goes from the side mount to the intake manifold may require you to use two sections of intercooler piping and a 45 degree coupler for temporary use until you do a front mount.

-If going from Auto to 5/6 speed during swap be sure to purchase/resurface flywheel and purchase appropriate power/torque capacity clutch.

-Use 1jz power steering reservoir

-If using the heater core be sure to route the coolant hoses accordingly between the firewall and 1jz head

-If the swap is auto but will be converted to manual, plan on disconnecting the relay wire to the starter. You'll need to cut the connector from the end of that wire, be sure to safely cover the cut end as it does still have power going through it and run your own wire to the ignition switch harness reusing the connector on the starter end.

-REPLACE THE WATER PUMP...Use a 94+ mk4 Supra one as chances are the JDM one will leak once US spec coolant flows through it

-REPLACE THE TIMING BELT...might aswell while doing the water pump and for safety precaution

-REPLACE THE SPARK PLUGS...exact mileage sometimes is not accurate

-Change OIL and Filter before starting the car once swap is completed

-Make sure you pay close attention to all of the items that require a vacuum connection for when you finally get the 1jz mounted you can reconnect them

-Change the Fuel Pump, while stock pump is good enough just go for walbro 255 while doing the swap

-If the swap is auto but going into a 5 speed car you must cut off the speed sensor harness from the GE then you must cut the one on the GTE and solder the GE piece so that it will connect to the sensor on the transmission

-We are still trying to find our solution to not having reverse lights...will edit when we correct this

-The tach and temp guages will not work until you complete some wiring changes at the cluster harness...will update this one as well

-The airbag light stays on so i'll update this one as well

-The engine will no rev past 3,000rpm....will update this too

this is all i could pull from taking mental notes...if i think of anything else or if any of you others who have done this swap have something to contribute i will edit this reply

Last edited by DominicAN; 10-13-07 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-14-07, 06:48 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

so i changed out the spark plugs this morining and now it will rev to a little above 4k rpms before it starts sputtering, but if i hit the gas hard, it will still only make it to a little above 3k rpms
Old 10-14-07, 10:06 AM
1SicLex
Driver School Candidate

jeez do all of you people who swap your own engines have experience in this before? or is your car the lab rat? ive thinking of doing this but im too scared to screw up....
Old 10-14-07, 10:56 AM
MattSEG
Driver

Good luck guys! Very nice sc you have and I hope it runs well for you soon.
Old 10-14-07, 11:19 AM
MDeezy
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SicLex
jeez do all of you people who swap your own engines have experience in this before? or is your car the lab rat? ive thinking of doing this but im too scared to screw up....
I know. it seems like all of a sudden a post comes out of no where and someone has done the swap in like 9hrs and the car is up and running with minor errors.

fortunately there are many many write ups....
Old 10-14-07, 12:36 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

the car is burning oil and there is an oil leak that im going to try and find tonight, keep your fingers crossed that its nothing too expensive
Old 10-14-07, 02:34 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ hope its not the turbo seals.
Old 10-14-07, 04:00 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
so i changed out the spark plugs this morining and now it will rev to a little above 4k rpms before it starts sputtering, but if i hit the gas hard, it will still only make it to a little above 3k rpms
anyone have any ideas, im so over all this, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Me and Dan were talking about the possibility of bad coil packs, what do you guys think?
Old 10-14-07, 04:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

sounds like a boost leak somewhere.

Quick Reply: CCC-TT's 2JZ-GE to 1JZ-GTE swap