Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Apex'i Power intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-02, 07:50 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apex'i Power intake

I just ordered a MAF adapter for my SC 300 and I really want to put a Apex'i power intake filter on it. BUT from what I hear, it wont fit (its round and the MAF is square). Is there anyway to attach this filter. If not, what other filter is a good buy that would fit. Thanks for your help.

-Chris
Old 01-10-02, 05:30 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

MAF adapter is the converter from the square to the round connection. Unfortunately, the adapter plate's OD is 3inch, and APEXI universal filter is 80mm (3 1/4 inch), so no matter what you would still need to think of a good way to get it fit.
I was hoping to do the same, but because of the fitment issue, I'm thinking to go with K&N with 3 inch OD.

Hopefully this helps,

Chris K.
95 SC400
Old 01-10-02, 07:02 AM
MatT3T4
Driver

Why not try using one of the rubber/vinyl pipe connectors, like the kind you would use to adapt an intake pipe directly to a throttle body? If your filter is too big for the adaptor, put the rubber piece over the adaptor, then put the filter over that...Maybe it will work...? If not, screw it, torque the hell out of the clamp.
Old 01-10-02, 05:07 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

I have very successfully mounted the APEXi Power Intake filter to the typical MAF adapter. As mentioned earlier, the MAF OD is 3" nominally on the outside diameter and is round. The APEXi has a 3 1/4" or 80mm inside diameter and is also round. The trick then, it to mate these two together.

Here is how I did it....

First off, I had purchased on ebay one of the rare, coated custom Black cold air boxes made by JPM here is his web site....

http://www.mycrobyte.com/lexus/index.html

The challenge I had was to get the APEXi deeper into the cold air box as it is perhaps 1" in diameter larger than the typical K&M and thus has more filter surface area. So I needed to mount the filter about 2 1/2" away from the MAF adapter. If you are not using a cold air box then you do not have this issue.

While looking around for something that was 3 1/4" OD and round I found an old empty Bullseye Pistol Powder canister. THis is a cannister that is made of very heavy black urethane rubbery plastic. In measuring it, it was just exactly 3 1/4" OD so it fit into the APEXi just perfect. I took the cannister and cut the bottom off on my bandsaw and then did a measurement to figure that I needed a piece of about 3" long and then made another cut on the bandsaw. So what I had was a small 3" long black plastic pipe that was 3 1/4" OD. I then, using duct tape of about 1" wide, built up the outside of the MAF to be also 3 1/4" OD. I trimed this up neatly with a knife.

I mounted one end of the pipe on the MAF adapter and using a radiator clamp, clamped it in place. I then neatly sealed the end beyond the clamp with clear silicone rubber sealer with indoor outdoor rating. I sealed it to just make it air tite and neat.

The MAF and attached pipe were then mounted on the SC MAF. I then pressed the APEXi onto the other end of the pip and using a few dots of Silicone Sealer, fixed it in place. It looks very nice and works well. I used four 1" long 1/4" bolts with lock washers and nuts. You will need these no matter what you do in connecting a MAF adapter to the SC MAF.

I had to use the pipe to extend the APEXi into the deeper part of my cold air box. Now, if you are not using a cold air box, you do not need the pipe adapter which I made. You can very simply and easily build up the outside of the typical MAF adapter with some 1" duct tape and press fit the APEXi onto it. Then you can run a small bead of silicone sealer around it to fix it on and provide a good seal and you are done.

The APEXi, is not the cheap way out by any means however in the testing of air filters, that I have read, it is by FAR the best air filter out there from a true filtration and from an air delivery standpoint. Further more, it is a totally dry filter. It does not require oiling and thus oil will not get into the MAF screen and sensor and fongool things up. The typical K&N is a wet oil filter and was perhaps offered less than optimal actual filtration from the testing I saw. It was not the worst but the APEXi was better.

If you want to read about this testing go to this URL. After reading this you may have doubts about many of the so called filters out there on the market....

http://www.gtrowner.com/induction.html

The sound of the SC with the APEXi is thrilling even buttoned up inside my cold air box. The SC runs perfectly with it, idles well and the engine just seems to spin more freely or with less resistance. It is just hard to describe but you will know what I am talking about when you get one installed.

I have no data to provide on increased MPG yet.

However, using my GTECH in 6 runs last evening, the combination of my SC with no mods vs my SC with mods (APEXi and Blitz exhaust) shows an average gain of 10 HP at the rear wheels. This is at idle from dead stop, brake off with the SC settings as follows....
TRAC=OFF OverDrive=Off and ECT=POWER

ALso, one last thing, my baseline was with normal tires and I am now running BLIZZACK snows and am also carrying 200 pounds of sheet lead in the trunk for added weight and traction in the snow. Come to think of it, I should try a few runs without that weight, that is alot (****load) of weight....

If you have any questions about this, just ask.

Last edited by Red93sc400; 01-12-02 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-10-02, 07:02 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Thanks for your help RedSC. I was wondering..... i dont have a cold air box and all i want really is the filter to fit the MAF. Could i just use your duct tape method and make the end of the MAF 3 1/4" ??? I havent recieved my MAF yett so i am unsure of how everything attaches. But hopefully this works and then i can just attach everything.
Old 01-10-02, 09:53 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wow...

I've had my Apexi filter for a few months...it's sitting under my coffee table in the living room because I couldn't figure out how to get it on. I was thinking of just going to a muffler shop and having them fabricate an adapter...

and what is JPM? I don't think it's rare...that dude posted a while back and sold those air boxes. I got me one too, but haven't installed it since I still have my Apexi in the box...
Old 01-11-02, 05:57 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Originally posted by ChrisSC300
Thanks for your help RedSC. I was wondering..... i dont have a cold air box and all i want really is the filter to fit the MAF. Could i just use your duct tape method and make the end of the MAF 3 1/4" ??? I havent recieved my MAF yett so i am unsure of how everything attaches. But hopefully this works and then i can just attach everything.
Yes indeed, if you do not have the cold air box, then all you would need is duct tape to build up the OD of the MAF adapter to 3 1/4" for a press fit. I would suggest a few dabs or a continuous bead of an outdoor grade clear silicone sealant to kind of lock the APEXi to the MAF Adapter. The silicone will also provide an air tite gasket to stop leakage.

To take out the stock air box and filter you will need a 10mm socket with extenstion. There were on my 93 SC400 3 10mm bolts holding it in place. At frist I removed these bolts but no go. It would not come out. Then I removed the nuts that hold the OEM box to the MAF still no go, it would not come out. Then I loosened up the band that hold the back of the MAF to the corrigated black air duct. That did the ticket. There was considerable dirt UNDER the OEM box. I cleaned this up. Keep the OEM air box intact as if you go to resell the car you can put it back on. This is not a hard operation at all. Remember to get those 4 bolts and washers etc as I described in the earlier post.

The APEXi universal is somewhat hard to find and is pricey as well. Where, may I ask did you get yours?
Old 01-11-02, 06:09 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Originally posted by howiedoit
wow...

I've had my Apexi filter for a few months...it's sitting under my coffee table in the living room because I couldn't figure out how to get it on. I was thinking of just going to a muffler shop and having them fabricate an adapter...

and what is JPM? I don't think it's rare...that dude posted a while back and sold those air boxes. I got me one too, but haven't installed it since I still have my Apexi in the box...
Hey Howiedoit!
Ok so you have the APEXi, that is good. I was darned hard for me to find a dealer that had the universal model in stock. You could have a unique MAF adapter made. I have an idea for one. This would be like the typical MAF adapter with a difference. The APEXi comes with four bolts and 8 tapped holes to attach it to the APEXi standard air induction tube. What we need is a MAF adapter that on one side fits the SC400 MAF and on the other side fits the APEXi hole out. The APEXi also comes with 2 gaskets for what appears to be two styles of standard APEXi tubes.

AS far as the JPM airbox. Follow the link in the long post above. JPM had a limited run of about 10 or 12 powder coated custom aluminum airbox for either the SC300 and SC400. These are all sold now and not available anymore.

He graciously offered to have more of them fabricated again, so if you want one then you will need to contact him. From his post here on ClubLexus, he needs about 10 of us to order these to make the smallest fabrication run of 10 units. It is a nice airbox and fits well in my 1993 SC400. If memory serves, he also may be getting into the powder coating business. Check out his website, it is well done.
Old 01-11-02, 11:37 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Red93sc400

Hey Howiedoit!
Ok so you have the APEXi, that is good. I was darned hard for me to find a dealer that had the universal model in stock. You could have a unique MAF adapter made. I have an idea for one. This would be like the typical MAF adapter with a difference. The APEXi comes with four bolts and 8 tapped holes to attach it to the APEXi standard air induction tube. What we need is a MAF adapter that on one side fits the SC400 MAF and on the other side fits the APEXi hole out. The APEXi also comes with 2 gaskets for what appears to be two styles of standard APEXi tubes.

AS far as the JPM airbox. Follow the link in the long post above. JPM had a limited run of about 10 or 12 powder coated custom aluminum airbox for either the SC300 and SC400. These are all sold now and not available anymore.

He graciously offered to have more of them fabricated again, so if you want one then you will need to contact him. From his post here on ClubLexus, he needs about 10 of us to order these to make the smallest fabrication run of 10 units. It is a nice airbox and fits well in my 1993 SC400. If memory serves, he also may be getting into the powder coating business. Check out his website, it is well done.
Hey,

I already have one of those airboxes. I just haven't installed it since my Apexi filter isn't in yet. As for the Apexi filter, my friend simply gave it to me. He had one sitting in his garage. He was going to swap the Blitz filter out of his LS, but got lazy, I guess. So yeah, I got lucky. Got mine for free.

But I think in Socal, there are plenty of shops that stock these filters...
Old 01-11-02, 12:56 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Originally posted by howiedoit

But I think in Socal, there are plenty of shops that stock these filters...
You are lucky. No one here in Conn. stocks them from what I can find. Also, the few places on the internet that do list them just do not have them in stock when you actually ask them to put their hands on one to ship it to you.

If you look closely at the pictures at JPM's website, he appears to be running a K&N filter on his. Note that he has an extenstion even on his K&N to place it further down in the airbox. That is the yellow tube in the picture. You simply cannot attach it to the MAF adapter directly with his airbox as the upper portion of the filter cone will hit the lid and preclude you from fastening the lid.

I did fasten the lid using 1/2" number 10 stainless steel self taping screws. Also the airbox was fastened in place using two screws and clear silicone sealer to stop rattles and kind of act as a gasket.

When are you going to do the installation BTW?

Last edited by Red93sc400; 01-12-02 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-11-02, 10:09 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

I have no idea when I'm doing the installation. I'm a lagger.

I just got my sub today, so I think I'll be busy installing that. And I need to get on my tires for my new rims. Then I'll worry about the filter. I need to get over to a muffler shop sometime.

BTW, it's K&N, not K&M. They used to be down the street from where I went to school.

Thanks a lot for the tips
Old 01-12-02, 05:11 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Ohhh... a sub woofer. Where are you going to put it? I dare not install one or I will not be able to get my golf clubs in the car. I am interested in where you are going to mount it?

ALso, what kind of wheels did you get and in what size? Are you or have you lowered your SC? I am putting on 18"s in the Springtime but will not lower the car (at least at first).
Old 01-12-02, 10:40 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

I'm planning to put the sub in the stock sub position. I got a Pioneer free air 10" sub. I know...the trunk is small enough. The last thing I want to do is to put something in there to make it smaller...

About my rims...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=31023
Old 01-23-02, 09:00 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just FYI, if you're intending to use NOS or a turbo; an intake duct taped to fit isn't recommended
Old 01-23-02, 09:06 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

I think this is the page that he's referring to when he said JPM

http://www.mycrobyte.com/lexus/index.html