Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing fuel pump with full tank of gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07 | 02:56 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

this thread is really going some where in a big hurry
Old 10-10-07 | 02:59 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JesLet
Oh i see, you went to college to be a grease monkey to let people know you a lot about cars.

If you know a lot about cars , good for you! But stop saying: "kinda common sense not to change fuel pump with fuel in it".

I'm here to ask some advice not to be humiliated and that's the purpose of this forum and it might help others doing this job as an average joe.
Lets take a chill pill,

lets not take something somone said over the internet so personal, but I understand your frustration. I swapped my stock pump with a walbro g431 i think it was or somehting like that, and I used the crimps that it came with to crimp up the wires. Appearently I should have soldered and heat shrank Oh wells, everyone learns. But yea common sense does help, and to me common sense said that soldering wires in a gas tank can blow a person up....
Old 10-10-07 | 03:01 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
Hey man,

I understand your frustrations - but name calling is not necessary here.

As was said, it is considered somewhat normal for most people to know that they should have as close to empty of a fuel tank as possible when tackling a fuel pump...

Jonny
Hey Jonny, Thanks for the previous advice. I've never change a fuel pump before; There's a lot of intructions how to do it but there was no precautions that the fuel should be at 1/4 tank. I just don't like when people jump to conclusions.

Well enough said, my fuel pump is done. I apologize for throwing names.
Old 10-10-07 | 03:06 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Lets take a chill pill,

lets not take something somone said over the internet so personal, but I understand your frustration. I swapped my stock pump with a walbro g431 i think it was or somehting like that, and I used the crimps that it came with to crimp up the wires. Appearently I should have soldered and heat shrank Oh wells, everyone learns. But yea common sense does help, and to me common sense said that soldering wires in a gas tank can blow a person up....
Lol i'm chill man.

The reason why my tank is full is because when I pulled up to the gas station, I refilled my tank to full and after that I started the car and it suddenly died. So I was thinking it's my fuel pump. So i decided not to drive the car and change the fuel pump with full tank of gas, as i said I never done this before and don't even know how to change it until i saw instructions from lextreme.com, No precautions or anything. Total begginer here. More like trial and error.
Old 10-10-07 | 08:43 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Originally Posted by JesLet
Oh i see, you went to college to be a grease monkey to let people know you a lot about cars.

If you know a lot about cars , good for you! But stop saying: "kinda common sense not to change fuel pump with fuel in it".

I'm here to ask some advice not to be humiliated and that's the purpose of this forum and it might help others doing this job as an average joe.

for an average joe, next time bring it to a trustworthy shop, dont kill yourself saving some money. Fuel isnt something an "average joe" should mess with. Anybody can quickly make the wrong move and spark a fire. next time consult the forums before going in blind.
Old 10-11-07 | 06:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Glad you got it fixed man

Jonny
Old 10-11-07 | 07:16 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

i'm about to deal with this too lol, being the genious that i am, i filled up my tank a couple days before i started the 1jz swap, and now i have to change the fuel pump, I'm not sure what i'm gonna do to get rid of the fuel but oh well
Old 10-11-07 | 08:00 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
i'm about to deal with this too lol, being the genious that i am, i filled up my tank a couple days before i started the 1jz swap, and now i have to change the fuel pump, I'm not sure what i'm gonna do to get rid of the fuel but oh well

There's always a syphon at your nearest schwall-mart.
Old 10-12-07 | 07:24 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

but where do i put 15+ gallons of fuel lol?
Old 10-12-07 | 07:28 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
but where do i put 15+ gallons of fuel lol?
3 x 5 gallon containers

Jonny