Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 05:53 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of things I did today.

I took out the MAF completely. I've been running speed density for a couple of days now and it's working mostly very well.

Since the MAF is out, I had to intall a 2.2kilo ohm resistor in place of the IAT sensor to keep the check engine light off. The ECU should see a constant intake temp of about 68 degrees. The MAFTPro has its own temp sensor for fuel compensation.

I decided to give my bypass valve another try. Seems to be working well. It's very quiet, I think I heard it blow a couple of times, but I'm not even really sure.

I changed the location of the oxy1 and oxy2 jump. I jumped it at the ECU rather than at the diag connector. Much less wiring for the low voltage signal to travel through.

That's about it.

Couple of new pics.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7185.jpg  
Old 03-13-08, 05:56 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Another new pic. My engine bay would look SO much nicer after a good clean. LOL. Also, I can't stand the fuse box, it's my biggest vise.

The bypass looks like it's hitting the ps resivior, its not. I need to get myself a new bracket.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7187.jpg  
Old 03-16-08, 07:24 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KC...

Nice job on the successes with speed density and the bypass valve. I would think that both of these items would help you to build the ultimate budget supercharged set up.

It is awesome to read that you are not leaking anywhere. It has to feel good to be as in tune with your car as you are at the moment.

Your EK Tuning headers are massively overdue. I hope that the company is reasonable enough to give you and everyone else from the group buy a significant discount for how long they have taken. I also hope that when they arrive, they install and perform as advertised. Regardless, it will be good to see the car with both primary O2 sensors installed again to let the ECU do its thing more naturally.

As for me, I have the house in my possession. I have done a lot of cleaning and painting to bring the house up to speed. The actual move in process will happen this week, culminating with me transferring my furniture in a U-Haul rental this Saturday. I will be off to the races on the SC very soon.

Keep up the good work on the car. It looks like it is really starting to come into its own as a fully put together machine.

-Mark
Old 03-16-08, 08:06 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blizzy
KC...

Nice job on the successes with speed density and the bypass valve. I would think that both of these items would help you to build the ultimate budget supercharged set up.

It is awesome to read that you are not leaking anywhere. It has to feel good to be as in tune with your car as you are at the moment.

Your EK Tuning headers are massively overdue. I hope that the company is reasonable enough to give you and everyone else from the group buy a significant discount for how long they have taken. I also hope that when they arrive, they install and perform as advertised. Regardless, it will be good to see the car with both primary O2 sensors installed again to let the ECU do its thing more naturally.

As for me, I have the house in my possession. I have done a lot of cleaning and painting to bring the house up to speed. The actual move in process will happen this week, culminating with me transferring my furniture in a U-Haul rental this Saturday. I will be off to the races on the SC very soon.

Keep up the good work on the car. It looks like it is really starting to come into its own as a fully put together machine.

-Mark
Mark,

Hey, good to hear from you, good to hear your finally getting into that house of yours. The hard part is almost over.

Thanks for the words on my car. It is running pretty good. I'm still having some closed loop problems, but it's doing better than it was. I am also having trouble figuring out the "tip in" adjustment of the MAFTPro.

Otherwise runs good. No problems with boost. AFR stays as flat as a table with the auto tracking on the Pro. Feels very strong, will put you in the seat while doing a 4th to 2nd shift, even with half throttle. The bypass valve is working well and is fairly quiet. It does make a nice pssssshshhshsh sound with a high RPM thorttle drop.

Still no check engine light, which is awesome. I was giving the traction control a good work out yesterday when it was raining. That same 4th to 2nd shift breaks traction with a wet road, go figure.

I have a borrowed laptop, going to do some data logging to send to Bob at full throttle, see what he thinks of the couple of problems I do have. Also, he's mentioned "fine tuning" of the VE table, again awesome stuff.

I may do some logging tonight and maybe a couple of new vids.

The whole EKT thing is really starting to suck. I am seriously considering asking for my money back and getting the SS headers.

KC
Old 03-17-08, 03:11 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure you guys see the new vids.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=29

KC
Old 03-20-08, 09:39 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Dyno!

Went to the dyno today. The results are a tad lower than I expected, but I'm happy with them.

I know I could get better numbers if I put the intercooler back in. Also, the tuner guy yelled at me about my supercharger inlet pipe, said I would gain easy hp with a larger diameter pipe.

Also, running a bit richer than I would have liked. The AFR reading on the graph is taken DOWNSTREAM of the cat converter.

I also think I would have made more power if he would have started WOT at a lower RPM, more time to build boost. The highest boost I had was 9.5psi, I should be able to hit 11-12 with a good WOT run. The auto was also in NORM mode.

The guy running the dyno had a bit of trouble figuring out my car, it's a Mustang shop. He had trouble keeping it in third, would downshift to second, so I disconnected the kickdown cable. Also, he had trouble getting a good RPM signal. I ended up removing the driver side spark plug wire cover so he could clamp onto one of the wires coming off of the distributor.

I have about 16 runs, but most of them are garbage since there is no RPM reading. He emailed me all the runs and linked me to dynojets website so I could download the program to view them, pretty cool.

I didn't have the car dynoed before, but from all the info I've found, stock pre vvti SC400's dyno around 170rwhp, so I have in theory added 140hp! Can't argue with that!

KC
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dynorun.jpg  
Old 03-20-08, 09:48 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

The real story hear is what appears to be my hp/tq curve. Like I said, I have 16 runs and the dynojet program to veiw, so I made this...

This is a graph of 3 runs on top of each other. Two of them are from when I was losing the RPM signal up high. But, they are a good indication of what my curve SHOULD look like.

I am convinced that a WOT pull starting from a lower RPM would result in higher max numbers.

I took some video, will post tomorrow.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dynorun2.jpg  
Old 03-20-08, 09:55 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
The real story hear is what appears to be my hp/tq curve. Like I said, I have 16 runs and the dynojet program to veiw, so I made this...

This is a graph of 3 runs on top of each other. Two of them are from when I was losing the RPM signal up high. But, they are a good indication of what my curve SHOULD look like.

I am convinced that a WOT pull starting from a lower RPM would result in higher max numbers.

I took some video, will post tomorrow.

KC
Nice numbers KC...Gotta love almost doubling your power...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 03-21-08 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-21-08, 12:35 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Question. You said that you took I/C out... why? The majority of people think that I/C's are not necessary with superchargers because exhaust heat isn't a factor. This is a misconception. Just hoping this isn't the case here. Boosted anything over 5psi shouldn't be run without an I/C, not necessarily for performance, but safety issues.

Jon
Old 03-21-08, 06:08 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Question. You said that you took I/C out... why? The majority of people think that I/C's are not necessary with superchargers because exhaust heat isn't a factor. This is a misconception. Just hoping this isn't the case here. Boosted anything over 5psi shouldn't be run without an I/C, not necessarily for performance, but safety issues.

Jon
Its not the boost, its the heat. Supercharger produce lower charged air. You will never see a glowing supercharger, but you see turbo does it all the time. There are many supercharge system run without intercooler. One example woule be Vortech kits.

KC
Great numbers for mild boost. with few more psi you can reach 350 rwhp.
Old 03-21-08, 06:22 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Nice numbers, that is a great increase!
Old 03-21-08, 09:05 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Its not the boost, its the heat. Supercharger produce lower charged air. You will never see a glowing supercharger, but you see turbo does it all the time. There are many supercharge system run without intercooler. One example woule be Vortech kits.

KC
Great numbers for mild boost. with few more psi you can reach 350 rwhp.
Ok, you're confusing me. First, I have never seen a glowing compressor housing, but seeing a glowing turbine housing is nothing new at all. I think you are trying to entwine two different occurences here. Turbine housings glow because there is a tremendous amount of heat(detonated air/exhaust) and velocity focused into the housing. Now on the compressor, the transitive heat from the exhaust housing is not why the intake charged needs to be cooled. You say that s/c produce lower charged air, which is true and not in dispute, but then you talk about glowing housing, these two are not related in this case because the design is different between s/c and turboes and there is no exhaust housing(even if it were relevant to AIT's). I'm just not really sure how you are connecting these two phenomenon. You say glowing compressor on a s/c, and try and connect it to glowing turbine housing on a turbo, then talk about how a s/c produces less charged air. Sorry if I am misunderstading what you are trying to say.

Bottom line is: When you are producing boost, (no matter how) you are taking base atmosphere pressure and compressing it very fast in a confined area, when this happens, temperature's increase, thereby exponentially increasing your chances for detonation. This is why you need an I/C, to cool the intake charge resuting in denser air and decreasing the oppurtunity for detonation to arise, not just for a few extra hp. You are correct that there are alot of Vortech kits out there that don't sell I/C's, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good/safe idea to have one. If you have it, why not put it on?

Jon

Last edited by 2jzlex; 03-21-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-21-08, 10:17 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Here is a picture of what I was talking about:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...=94&cat_key=11

That is one benefit of a supercharged system.
Old 03-21-08, 10:31 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Here is a picture of what I was talking about:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...=94&cat_key=11

That is one benefit of a supercharged system.
If you are saying that there is no I/C, read more

"The increased boost level, high output supercharger system, features a fully integrated air to water aftercooler approach to charge cooling"

right underneath the first paragraph.

If you are referring to something else, I don't see how it explains anything.

Jon
Old 03-21-08, 10:38 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

For low boost application you dont really need intercooling for supercharging. High boost you will need. As for KC case, he doessnt really need IC. I am not sure what part you dont understand.

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects