Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08 | 08:19 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Jon,

Thanks very much for the input, even the heated IC debate.

Considering I made a few more hp, with less psi, and with the intake temp being roughly 65 degrees cooler, it would make no sense to take the IC back out. Also, after playing with the throttle cable a bit, I have virtually no lag in throttle response or boost. I may at some point go with a smaller unit, but I won't run without one. I think the one I have may be a bit bigger than it really needs to be. See pic.

As far as making more power, I'm not really looking to make much more. I was never planning on making so much power that I would need to start worrying about beefing up the motor and transmission. At this point, I just want to put on my headers, maybe tweak the rest of the exhaust a bit, and maximize what I have without spending too much money.

My next steps will include getting some Supra struts to go with the swift springs I have (thanks Blizzy), getting some more rubber on the road, and getting my front bumper painted. Maybe Supra sways and a few other cosmetic things later.

KC

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Good to hear that you are keeping the I/C KC. I think Blizzy gas a good point here about the little things that you can forget about when you get boost happy. Sometimes it's not slapping on another blower that will be the best idea and yield the most potential (Economically speaking of course) at a given time. How your exhaust is design/flows can have a major impact on the torque, spool, hp, etc. What about lightweight pulleys, lightened one piece driveshaft, etc. Also, I bet you would see a nice improvement all over the RPM range with a good HKS ignition upgrade or something of the like. Just trying to throw out some of the little things that tend to get left behind and shouldn't. But then once you have done them your like, " why didnt I do these in the first place lol?"

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf5751.jpg  
Old 04-02-08 | 08:26 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

So, if it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, I'll be heading to the eigth mile. No one wants to try and predict the time? I really think I'll smoke it! I'd almost be willing to bet I'll hit 8 seconds if I can keep traction.

If I run 8.5 seconds, I'd be happy. 8 seconds would be awesome. If I managed anything under 8 seconds, I'd simply be amazed. I do know that it takes me just shy of 8 seconds to hit 85mph from a stop.

I have had recent contact with EKT about the headers, they say they should be in by Friday. I've heard this before, but I'm hopefull.

KC
Old 04-02-08 | 11:26 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Best of luck sir!
Old 04-02-08 | 11:55 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

KC:

Well its kind of hard to tell just by looking but I'd have to say maybe 20-22"? It should be fine, your right though it may be slightly large as of now but the IAT's and potential of it for later should be great. Looks like its bar and plate so that is a plus, much better than tube and fin imho. People just don't get how important it is to have the dense air charge. If it's good enough, you can actually reduce knock with it and it's like adding octane to your gas (smaller scale of course, much considerable nonetheless). Eventually on my setup, I am going to run an I/C with an integrated cooler built in. Then on the front bumper vent, I am going to mount two oil coolers in a V-Mount setup like the rotary boys love to use for their I/C-radiator setup. I am going to run water and meth through the both coolers, and then through the I/C with the integrated core. It should be like dropping ice cubes into my motor. If it goes as planned, it may even reduce my need for water injection. I chuckled when you said you didn't want to make much more power, lol. Theres always something else.... I really think an ignition upgrade would roll everything that you have done so far together.

Jon

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Jon,

Thanks very much for the input, even the heated IC debate.

Considering I made a few more hp, with less psi, and with the intake temp being roughly 65 degrees cooler, it would make no sense to take the IC back out. Also, after playing with the throttle cable a bit, I have virtually no lag in throttle response or boost. I may at some point go with a smaller unit, but I won't run without one. I think the one I have may be a bit bigger than it really needs to be. See pic.

As far as making more power, I'm not really looking to make much more. I was never planning on making so much power that I would need to start worrying about beefing up the motor and transmission. At this point, I just want to put on my headers, maybe tweak the rest of the exhaust a bit, and maximize what I have without spending too much money.

My next steps will include getting some Supra struts to go with the swift springs I have (thanks Blizzy), getting some more rubber on the road, and getting my front bumper painted. Maybe Supra sways and a few other cosmetic things later.

KC
Old 04-05-08 | 06:42 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't make it to the track due to rain.

The test and tune is every Thursday night so you can bet on me being there next week.

I was really disappointed. I'm really anxious to get a time, even if it's only an 1/8 mile. I'm really confident I'll blast through it. I can't wait to see the looks on people's faces. I very much doubt there has ever been a Lexus on the track!

There's a 1/4 track being built next to Lowe's Motor Speedway, about 5 minute from where I work, should be open by September. Should be sweet!

KC
Old 04-05-08 | 06:49 PM
twizted
Instructor

Personally im starting to like the 1/8th
Old 04-05-08 | 07:22 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twizted
Personally im starting to like the 1/8th
I don't really have a problem running an 1/8 mile, heck, I have never been down a drag strip before in my life. But, it would be nice to get an actual quarter mile time.

From what I understand, NHRA uses 64% of a 1/4 mile time to calculate an 1/8 mile time. Or, 1/8 mile time divided by 64% to calculate 1/4 mile time. But, you can't really know for sure without a time slip, IMO.

KC
Old 04-07-08 | 12:36 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

..I think Blizzy gas a good point here about the little things that you can forget about when you get boost happy
Gas a good point!

.. Sometimes it's not slapping on another blower that will be the best idea and yield the most potential (Economically speaking of course) at a given time. How your exhaust is design/flows can have a major impact on the torque, spool, hp, etc. What about lightweight pulleys, lightened one piece driveshaft, etc.
Why change to another blower while you can still tweak more power out of this current one? What's your point?

How can the exhaust design have a major impact on torque, spool? Who makes lightweight pulleys, lightened one-piece driveshaft for the SC400?

Could you be more specific? You confuse people here.

..Also, I bet you would see a nice improvement all over the RPM range with a good HKS ignition upgrade or something of the like. Just trying to throw out some of the little things that tend to get left behind and shouldn't. But then once you have done them your like, " why didnt I do these in the first place lol?"

Jon
Could you give a link to the HKS ignition upgrade so that people know what you're talking about? I haven't seen HKS has made a set for the SC400. Even any other hi-performance makers are fine. What else should be done so "But then once you have done them your like, " why didnt I do these in the first place lol?"

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't confuse people with your falling-from-the-sky stuffs.

Last edited by stevechumo; 04-07-08 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-07-08 | 12:48 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevechumo

How can the exhaust design have a major impact on torque, spool?
Sorry KC, he is trying be funny. But I though that I would leave this statement highlighted. Pretty much sums up his knowledge about performance in general.

Good luck at the track btw.
Jon
Old 04-11-08 | 09:14 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok guys, ran the 1/8 mile last night. My times are very crappy but I have a few very good excuses as to why. Gonna list all my times in the order I ran them, then give my excuses.

Run 1 - Sadly, this was my best run. Up against a small car (it was a Mazda I think) with an LS1 and a manual, his ET was 9.302, spanked him!

Reaction .719
60ft 2.032
ET 8.987
MPH 78.906

Run 2 - I don't remember what kind of car I ran but his ET was 9.967.

Reaction .487
60ft 2.328
ET 9.362
MPH 79.99

Run 3 - I tried with the traction control on, didn't help much. This was against the LS1 Mazda again, this time he ran a 11.142.

Reaction .664
60ft 2.24
ET 9.269
MPH 80.568

Run 4 - This was the closest race. It was a Buick something or other, had no badges on it. I have no idea if it was Turbo or not. He ran a 9.177, I barely beat him.

Reaction .205
60ft 2.064
ET 9.108
MPH 81.113

Run 5 - I was up against the feared 4cyl Mustang, old and beat up, LOL. He ran an amazing 13.358!

Reaction .995
60ft 2.12
ET 9.088
MPH 79.976

Ok, now that I've posted the crappy times, here are my excuses for them......

I'm on 225's, I had some very very serious traction problems. I honestly wasn't aware of how bad my wheels were spinning until today, there were a few people from work at the track watching the races (I didn't even know they were there until today) and they told me about it. It was describe a few different ways to me. One guy told me that my tires spun all the way through first gear and quite a bit into second as well. I had another guy tell me, who was sitting about a 1/3 of the way down the track, that when I passed him, my tires were still spinning. I had another guy tell me that he could hear my tires spinning over the sound of the open headers on the LS1 on the car I raced on the first run. I think this is the biggest reason for my crap times.

Next excuse. I am a total newb to drag racing. This was my first time ever at a drag strip. I went in not really knowing too much about it. Well, this is very embarrassing honestly, I am very sure that I was letting of the gas early. It was dark and I had absolutely no idea were the finish line was. On my very last run, I noticed the light on the side of the track the lights up when the finish line is crossed. I have no idea how much time this was costing me, but it hurt me for sure.

I think I would do very well in an actual quarter mile. I was hitting third gear right about the same time I was crossing the line. The car pulls hard in third.

I think my biggest issue is traction, I imagine a significant time reduction would be had if I could hook. Not only do spinning tires not accelerate a car very well, they also make the engine bounce of the rev limiter and ultimately, the transmission (mine anyway) will shift early. If I'm able to hit a 8.9 with my tires spinning a 1/3 of the way down the track, then, OMG if I can hook. Turning the traction control on didn't help, it keeps the tires from spinning, but at the cost of power and boost. The traction control was bogging the engine down for a few seconds and then, when the ECU decided I had traction, the car took off, pushing me into the seat.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed. I have a tremendous amount of room for improvement and, I had fun. And, I won every race, which was cool. I turned quite a few heads. While waiting in the pit lanes, I would pop the hood to let out the heat, quite a few people did double takes as they walked by.

There's a few guys at my work who are into racing, I'm in the process of trying to source some slicks. I will probably go back next week regardless.

Let me know what you guys think.

Khris
Old 04-11-08 | 09:18 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Get some fat tires on there!
Old 04-11-08 | 09:24 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Get some fat tires on there!
I think I need fat tires more than anyone else in the wold right now, LOL.

With a 8.97 1/8 mile time, I SHOULD be able to do very high 13's in the 1/4. Just imagine if I could hook!

KC
Old 04-12-08 | 07:15 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I think I need fat tires more than anyone else in the wold right now, LOL.

With a 8.97 1/8 mile time, I SHOULD be able to do very high 13's in the 1/4. Just imagine if I could hook!

KC

With your mods and traction I would hope you would pull off better than a high 13?
Old 04-12-08 | 08:21 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap
CL Folding 25,000

Out of curiosity, I ran MAFTpro on my old MKIII with great success, how does it work with the 1UZ?
Old 04-12-08 | 10:41 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
With your mods and traction I would hope you would pull off better than a high 13?
High 13 based on my 1/8 mile time. I was told my tires were spinning 1/3 of the way down the track.

I can only imagine, for now, what my times would be IF I had traction. I am guessing 8 to 8.5 seconds. Then I would likely see high 12's, low 13's in the quarter.

Khris

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects