Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 12:55 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys. Hoping to get to the track tonight (1/8) but weather is not looking good.

I did get my 17 inch Supra wheels and I did get the tires put on yesterday. Again 275 40's rear and 245 45's front.

The good. The difference in handling is simply amazing. Night and day. They look awesome on the car, much more agressive. Plus, the 275's in the rear look pretty mean.

The bad, massive curb rash. I managed fairly easily to clean up most of it, they look much better and when time allows, they can be cleaned up more.

If I don't get to the track tonight, I think there is a test and tune / grudge night on Saturday, need to look into it. If not, I'll try and get to Darlington (1/4) next Wednesday. Next Thursday night I have an ASE test to take and won't be able to make it.

KC
Old 05-08-08, 12:58 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Some good info on cleaning up Supra wheels and some others I'm sure.

Here's what I used, along with some sand paper...
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7634.jpg  
Old 05-08-08, 01:01 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

This is one of the wheels before. This is one of the better wheels to start with.
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7627.jpg  
Old 05-08-08, 01:07 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

After pic. This is a different wheel that started out much worse than the one pictured above.

They still need some work but they look 100 times better for sure.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7631.jpg  
Old 05-09-08, 08:51 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Went back to the 1/8.....

Good news and bad news....

Bad news first.

With 2 275's in the rear, I still can't launch without spin (also see good news). In fact, 2000-2200 rpm is my limit, 600-800rpm less than my stall speed. I tried with the tires cold, warm, and after a good 10-15 second burnout, still can't hook. Even dropped the pressure down to 18psi, no help. I guess if I really want a good time, I'll need slicks, which I have no intention of buying unless I find a deal I can't possibly pass up.

My best run was only a 9.02. To make excuses, it was hot, humid and there was a good 10mph head wind.

Good news.

I have enough torque at 2200rpm to roast a set of 275's with 18psi in them. I was expirementing in the burnout pit a little. I would slowly give it throttle with my foot on the brake until the tires started spinning at around 2200rpm with only about half throttle. I should enter a burnout contest, I'm fairly sure I could burn the tires until they popped.

I got 12 runs in and had lots of fun. Won 11 of the races, and I should have won the 12th race but I spun like crazy. Once again, the car handled it like a champ. Absolutely no signs of trouble. The transmission was shifting quite firm.

Despite still having traction issues at the track, I love the Supra wheels and I love the tires. The wheels look much better than the stockers. The tires look awesome on the rims, and the difference in handling is amazing. Not at all dissapointed with the purchase.

Despite my slow times, I was still faster than 97% of the "street" cars that were there. A guy at work with a Mustang GT who has been talking trash about how he could beat me in a race ran a best time of 10.35. His brother just bought a Mustang GT with a Vortech on it, putting down 345rwhp, and his best run was 9.35.

Thoughts and theories.

I still think that with traction, I could run MUCH better times. If I could launch at stall with the throttle wide open, the difference would be huge. I think slicks could get me into the 8.3-8.4 range, putting me into very low 13's and maybe dipping into the 12's.

I love driving my car, I am happy with it. There's no doubt that it is quick. I have gone through all this trouble to have a fast car that I can enjoy, not to be a dragstrip queen. I would love to get some slicks and see what it could really do, but, I don't see spending the money on them for a couple of runs just to be able to say "my car ran x seconds". I don't really plan on making dragracing a normal past time for myself either.

KC

Small sample of the rubber stuck to my inner fender well..
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7647.jpg  
Old 05-09-08, 08:52 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Pic of my cars new look...
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7638.jpg  
Old 05-09-08, 08:54 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

One more pic. I think a pair of small spacers in the rear would finish it off nicely...
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7643.jpg  
Old 05-10-08, 06:14 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

I love it! Its a complete sleeper!
Old 05-10-08, 07:55 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great improvement on the look and wheels...Agreed!! Polish those TT wheels, they look realy nice when polished. I agree, a spacer in the rear would look nice.

Great results, would love to ride in your car...

Ryan
Old 05-10-08, 07:59 AM
paulwd
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good KC, like Scott said,a real sleeper.
Old 05-10-08, 12:05 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job on sanding down the wheels. The car looks great, and the 9.0s 1/8th mile slips speak for themselves.
Old 05-11-08, 06:17 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I love it! Its a complete sleeper!
Originally Posted by paulwd
Looking good KC, like Scott said,a real sleeper.
It is definately a sleeper. Despite how loud the supercharger is in the video, it's quite a bit quieter in person. My camera picks up certain sounds louder than others for some reason.

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Great improvement on the look and wheels...Agreed!! Polish those TT wheels, they look realy nice when polished. I agree, a spacer in the rear would look nice.

Great results, would love to ride in your car...
Thanks man. What's the best method of polishing them?

I think it goes without saying, everyone would like to take a ride in your car. LOL.

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Nice job on sanding down the wheels. The car looks great, and the 9.0s 1/8th mile slips speak for themselves.
It's amazingly easy to clean up the wheels. I at some point will get into it more, but they already look 100 times better than how I recieved them. I really should have gone over them before I put the tires on though..

I am not at all proud of the 9.0 1/8 mile times. Remember, the last time I went I ran an 8.795, I over two tenths down on time. I was also on average about 2mph down. Suppose it could've have been the headwind, or, might be because the wheel / tire assemblies are slightly heavier. I really think I can, and should do much better. Just can't hook on the track to save my life unless I launch like my grandma would.

Despite still having traction issues, I am not at all dissapointed with the wheels, I love them.

KC
Old 05-11-08, 06:45 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hmmm, what next.

Couple of things I'm thinking.

Of course, I need headers. I'm really hoping to get the EKT ones and be done with it. Once I get the headers I'll likely change a couple of other things downstream.

There is one pulley size smaller that I could use. The pulley I have now is 2.41 inches wich equals about 14psi on a motor with a 6.5inch crank. Comes to about 12psi with our 5.5 inch crank. I don't really ever see much over 8psi. I would see 10+ without the intercooler so I guess I'm losing some pressure through it. Anyway, the smaller pulley would only give me 1psi more, but that should equal at least 15 horsepower. The pulley only costs about $80 dollars shipped which is a pretty good hp to $ ratio. The smaller pulley should also allow me to get into boost easier.

With the Supra wheels, the need for lowering is more apparent for some reason. I already have springs, purchased from Blizzy, just need to decided what to do about struts. I really would hate to buy used ones but might end up doing so for financial reasons.

I am really trying to talk myself out of slicks or drag radials, but I'm obsessed with my lousy numbers. Obsessed with not knowing what I can really run down the track.

KC
Old 05-12-08, 08:40 PM
sneakyazn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi KC, May I ask how much the supercharging portion of your project has cost you? Did you complete most of the work yourself or have a shop do it? I'm interested in having it done for me as I am not too handy around cars and was trying to figure out how much I should budget for a project similar to yours.
Old 05-12-08, 08:57 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sneakyazn
Hi KC, May I ask how much the supercharging portion of your project has cost you? Did you complete most of the work yourself or have a shop do it? I'm interested in having it done for me as I am not too handy around cars and was trying to figure out how much I should budget for a project similar to yours.
Honestly, I've lost (blocked it out of my mind really) track. I've spent allot more than needed. Somewhere around but less than $4000 likely. It can be done for much cheaper.

The biggest expense is of course the head unit. I bought mine used on ebay for $950 shipped.

My setup at it's most basic level.

Vortech 950 (used, ebay)
MAFTPro piggyback (awesome unit BTW) 520
Wideband 235
Intercooler and piping 350
Supra injectors 91 (used, ebay)
Fan conversion, battery re-location 250-300
Misc stuff like plugs, boost gauge, oil feed / drain lines, idler pulleys, drive belt, ect... 500 + or -
Fish bracket 100 (I think it's more now, not sure)

I think that's the basics, just over 3000

I have done all of the install myself. If you can do your timing belt, you can bolt a supercharger on.

I have had a ton of difficult to diagnose problems along the way, some which ended up costing me more money, but nothing that shouldn't be expected when supercharging a car with 125k plus on the odometer.

KC

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects