Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 08:52 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well water/meth acts as a chemical intercooler, but there could be a down side to it though, if you aren't pushing enough boost you'll actually hinder the car. I know that from experience, I guess if you could jet the water/meth kit JUST right, it would help, but the jets they have on the market are kinda big for just a few psi. But again that is also my guess
Old 05-26-08, 09:00 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see that no doubt. They do have smaller sprayers on the market (I was looking at the AIS kit). I want to run 7-9psi standard on my car with a V2 E trim ( or equivalent). I think since having the piping run through the engine bay, I think it will help a lot more than hurt, no?
Old 05-26-08, 09:29 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I eventually want to be running 15-18psi. I have this whole extra injector with direct port tubes that lextreme set up in the manifold. Maybe i should put a spray nozzle in there and see what happens with some tuning....
Old 05-26-08, 09:35 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh and ps, I think I'm going to be the one that figures out how much boost a stock motor and tranny can take, decompressed of course . Then it'll be off to the 4.7 and stage 2 heads?!
Old 05-27-08, 09:35 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I know DEI makes piping wrap, that might make a difference, not sure cause I've never done it, but they claim it works
Old 06-03-08, 08:29 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
I know DEI makes piping wrap, that might make a difference, not sure cause I've never done it, but they claim it works
I'm not sure about pipe wraping but this sure looks interesting.

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sc&cid=1

Could get rather expensive though.

KC
Old 06-03-08, 08:41 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Couple of updates.

I installed the 2.25 inch pulley over the weekend. What a PITA. Anyway, 2.25 is a size down from the 2.4 inch pulley I was using. The difference is more noticeable than I would have imagined. Low end boost is much easier to come by and I did hit 10 - 11 psi yesterday on my way to work. I also needed a new, shorter belt. Still not pushing it too much because my belt alignment isn't 100% with the new pulley, need to shim the supercharger out a tad bit.

Last week, I attempted to install my new diff mounts. The mounts I'm refering to are the ones located in the rear subframe. The driver's side mount is pretty much useless and the passenger side mount is pretty close to pretty much useless. Anyway, I did not manage to get them installed. I think I will need to drop the subframe to get them out and back in. May even need to walk the frame over to the press.

Got the Supra struts I bought used off of ebay today. Planning on putting them in on Thursday, along with the diff mounts. Hopefully I'll make it to the 1/8 mile test and tune Thursday night.

KC
Old 06-03-08, 09:13 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work KC. I love your dedication to getting your project correct. It shows.

Ryan
Old 06-04-08, 07:58 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I installed the 2.25 inch pulley over the weekend. What a PITA. Anyway, 2.25 is a size down from the 2.4 inch pulley I was using. The difference is more noticeable than I would have imagined. Low end boost is much easier to come by and I did hit 10 - 11 psi yesterday on my way to work. I also needed a new, shorter belt. Still not pushing it too much because my belt alignment isn't 100% with the new pulley, need to shim the supercharger out a tad bit.
Man, this is really awesome news. This is a significant testament to the Fish Bracket that David designed over at Lextreme. The RMM Supercharger kit that the GS400 guys are (and have been) using has been known to slip with anything less than a 2.97" pulley. The fact that you are not slipping with a 2.25" pulley is really awesome news.

11psi is a lot of boost for any motor, let alone a 4L V8. Nice work man!

ps. My clutch line is scheduled to arrive on my door step this afternoon. I am pretty psyched.
Old 06-04-08, 08:34 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

that's some cool stuff there! ten, eleven psi, that must be fun
Old 06-04-08, 08:44 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Nice work KC. I love your dedication to getting your project correct. It shows.
Thanks. I'm doing what I can, I need to stop though, I'm going broke. LOL.

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Man, this is really awesome news. This is a significant testament to the Fish Bracket that David designed over at Lextreme. The RMM Supercharger kit that the GS400 guys are (and have been) using has been known to slip with anything less than a 2.97" pulley. The fact that you are not slipping with a 2.25" pulley is really awesome news.

11psi is a lot of boost for any motor, let alone a 4L V8. Nice work man!
I need to make something clear. I am not using the intended location for the idler pulley installed onto the bracket. I think this is why I'm managing to run a 2.25 inch pulley without slip. The pre drilled hole in the bracket is much further away from the supercharger pulley than where I have mine installed.

For those intending to use the fish, here are my suggestions regarding supercharger and idler pulley installation onto the bracket. The first thing you need to do is to figure out where exactly on the bracket the supercharger will be installed. Once installed, take whatever idler your going to use and hold it as close to the supercharger pulley as possible and as high up as possible keeping in mind if you go to high up you'll have interference with the run of belt going to the supercharger. Mark the idler location somehow and drill your own hole.

In the pic below, you can see the hole on the bracket where the idler is supposed to be installed. You can also see how close to the supercharger pulley I installed the idler. The drive belt goes from the ps pump to the top center idler to the supercharger to the idler on the bracket to the ac compressor. If I were to move the idler on the bracket up much further the belt would hit itself where it goes to the supercharger and where it goes around the idler pulley on the bracket.

Originally Posted by ihiryu
that's some cool stuff there! ten, eleven psi, that must be fun
Well I sure can't say it's boring! Hopefully once I get the Supra shock / springs installed it will turn a corner half way decent, then it will be really fun!

KC
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf5888.jpg  
Old 06-04-08, 08:56 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

This is a very old pic but you can see why you can't go too far upwards with the idler. Mine is pretty close, I got lucky. I have about 3/8's of an inch clearence and a little bit over 75% belt wrap on the pulley. Belt wrap and tension are the keys to being able to use a super small pulley.

Also worth noting.. With the 2.4 inch pulley, I did have the potential to hit 12 psi with my piping ran through the engine bay. I did hit 12 psi once on accident before I had the Supra injectors installed. I'm not an expert but I think either the 2.4 or the 2.25 inch pullies would make allot more boost with a v1 or v2, since they blow allot more air. The v-9 is, techically, a little small for the motor. But at the same time, being a little small has it's own advantages.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf5914.jpg  
Old 06-04-08, 09:10 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm hoping to get back to the track tomorrow despite the fact that it's supposed to hit 98 degrees.

Few things I've changed since last time. Removed the intercooler, removed the spare tire, removed jack and tools, removed cruise control, removed charcol canister, installed 170 t-stat, and installed the smaller pulley. Installation of the pulley also required a new belt. My current belt situation is much better than before, much tighter. Just need to fix a very slight mis alignment. Oh, and I have fresh oil.

Things I'm hoping to get done tomorrow before going to the track. Install Supra struts with swift springs, R&R rear diff frame mounts and move the supercharger out from the bracket just a tad to correct belt alignment. I'm also going to try and make a ramp, so to speak, from the bumper air inlets (next to the fogs) up to the metal under the headlights on both sides. The goal would be to divert air up into the engine compartment to, in theory, help keep the intake pipe, the supercharger and the engine itself cool.

BTW, don't think I've metioned this, the 170 degree t-stat has dropped my intake temps about 10 degrees. I wasn't expecting to see any difference so I was happily surprised.

KC
Old 06-06-08, 09:05 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Yesterday, I installed the Supra OEM struts with the swift springs I aquired from Blizzy. All I can say is wow. The drop is right about where I was hoping. The handling, MUCH improved. Just wow, I love the setup. I'll try and take a few pics soon.

Also yesterday, I replaced my diff mounts. What a PITA. Took me about an hour and a half to drop the subframe down. Once the frame was on the ground, I used an air chisel to remove the old mounts. I stuck the new mounts in a freezer for a few hours then hammered them in. Not really too bad of a job if you have a lift, an air chisel, a big hammer and a freezer. I ran into a few problems with both the diff mount install and the stuts / springs install, mostly due to the slight corrosion my car has underneath. It's very far from the worst car I've ever seen, but I have broken a bolt or two during my mod process.

I spent the better part of the day on the above changes. I did my alignment today. Also a PITA. Long story short...I used a full can of penetrant befor touching anything. I had a very hard time freeing up the front caster adjusters, likely haven't moved in years. Once I finally got everything moving freely, I did manage to get everything within specs. The front is about dead on and I can pretty much put it wherever I want. The rear camber adjuster is maxed out on both sides and I'm sitting at about -1.4. Within specs but a little more negative than I would like. Mostly worried about tire wear. The car handles even better now that the alignment is set, was waaayyy off.

I haven't re shimmed the supercharger yet, will do this weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did make it to the track last night..good new and bad news.

First a refresher. My best run ever is 8.795 @ 81.076 mph. Last time I went ,after putting on the Supra wheels, I couldn't get under 9 seconds and I couldn't get past 80 mph.

I only got in two runs last night. I went late, my first run was at 9pm. I went late because I was hoping it would cool down some. NOT, at 9pm it was about 90 degrees and felt like a wet blanket. Sweating standing still. My intake temps were hitting 135 in the pits with the hood open. Once the line I was in would start to move, I would close the hood and my IAT's would hit 150 by the time I got to the light.

My first and fastest run was 8.859 @ 80.864 mph. My second run was 8.972 @ 81.335 mph.

I did not power brake at all on the first run, I just stomped the gas on the third yellow light. I did try and brake boost a little on the second run and I spun a bit, that's why it's slower. The second run speed of 81.335 is, if I'm not mistaken, the fastest trap speed I've ever had.

By redline in second gear on BOTH runs, I had quite a bit of spark knock going on. My intake temps were hitting 195 degrees. I WILL NOT go back to the track without the intercooler on until it cools down outside. I know I go back and forth quite a bit on the whole intercooler thing, but I think I'm going to put it back and see how it feels with the smaller pulley. As always the car handled it like a champ, even with the spark knock, and hasn't missed a beat.

In conclusion, I'm pretty happy with the 8.859 I ran. With a few more runs I think I would have beat the 8.795 run. It also wouldn't have hurt to be 20 degrees cooler outside. One of these weeks I'm going to drive to the nearest 1/4, the car really needs a 1/4 mile track. It's dying to hit 3rd and keep going.

KC
Old 06-09-08, 05:11 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Times are getting better and better! Im still curious to see what water/meth injection would do to knock down those temps!

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects