Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 03:01 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice result...KC. If you run 12 psi, you should be able to crack into a high 12. And if you have nice manual tranny setup, you'll run in the mid 12.
Old 06-16-08, 05:46 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty impressive. 12's are attainable. And hows the intercooler treating you now?
Old 06-16-08, 07:52 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ihiryu
why don't you add a catch can to delete the pcv all together?
I'm pretty sure a catch can setup is still plumbed to the intake, it would still require a PCV and would still see boost / vacuum.

Originally Posted by Blizzy
KC, that is an awesome result from your most recent track day. 13.49 is up there with the factory freaks that are coming off the lot today. That is a really nice time for a daily driven street car with 130k miles.
I am pretty happy with the result for sure. I still think there's more potential without any changes. I seem to get a little faster with back to back runs for some reason, I don't know if it's me or the car. If I have to sit 20 minutes between runs, It's slower.

If I had the money to invest in slicks I'd be willing to bet my time would drop drastically. The 13.498 run was with launching at 1000 rpm. I heard a quick chirp of the tires and then it hooked. Now imagine if I could do the same thing at my 2800 rpm stall.

I also imagine that come September when the new Lowe's 1/4 mile dragway opens and it's 20-30 degrees cooler outside, my times will be faster.

Any word on your manifolds coming? I am sure that is robbing you a lot of usable 1/4-mile power.
Yes actually. They are supposed to arrive to CMF around the 19th and then ship to me. I am cautiously optomistic, this is the first time that he has ever given an actual date.

I agree that the OEM manifolds are not doing me any favors. I have suspected the cats being a bit plugged for a while now as well. I can only imagine and hope for a HUGE difference in performance both street and track.

Did you notice any straight line traction gained or loss from the shocks and springs being swapped in? Obviously, they are aiding lateral traction.
It's hard to say really. I'm really bad at paying attention to what's going on with the car while racing because I am starting to enjoy the competition aspect of it more. I find myself checking my side mirror to see how far ahead I am most of the time.

I can give a quick run down of some of the things I have paid attention to, comparing 1/8 mile times:

1. Before the Supra wheels my best run was an 8.795 between several trips to the 1/8 mile. Cool weather.

2. After putting on the Supra wheels, I couldn't get under a 9 and I couldn't hit 80 MPH. There was quite a head wind which I still think may have affected my times. The weather was still pretty cool.

3. Next time at the track I had put on the smaller pulley with a mis aligned belt (I don't think it was slipping) took out the intercooler, spare tire, cruise control, and evap canister. Installed the supra struts / springs and replaced my diff mounts. Ran 8.859 and was pinging quite a bit at redline in second gear. Hot as heck.

4. Then, Saturday, went to the quarter. Only changes, put the intercooler back in and fixed my belt alignment. My best 1/8 mile time was 8.686. Hot as heck.

I will say that I think my times are more consistent since putting the struts / springs on. At the quarter, I was running consistent 13.7 - 13.8's without any brake boosting and no spin. Ran a 13.56* with about 800 rpm brake boost. Then ran the 13.498 with about a 1000 rpm brake boost, quick chirp and go. Then the next run I pushed too hard and spun down to at least the 60ft mark at a 15-20 degree angle from straight untill I finally hooked, slowest but funnest run. Didn't really get a chance to try again after that.

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Nice result...KC. If you run 12 psi, you should be able to crack into a high 12. And if you have nice manual tranny setup, you'll run in the mid 12.
I don't think I could run 12 psi without getting a bigger blower. I already have a 2.25 inch pulley, which is BTW the smallest 6 rib pulley I've been able to find.

I might be getting a little ahead of myself here, but I'm hoping with some cooler weather, the headers and more practice, I'll be very close to breaking the 12 - 13 second barrier. If not, I may start looking into cams.

I would absolutely love to do a manual swap but, it is currently WAY outside what I can afford. There's no way I'd be able to do it anytime soon.

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Pretty impressive. 12's are attainable. And hows the intercooler treating you now?
Well, if you assume my belt wasn't slipping when I went without the intercooler, I cut .173 off of my 1/8 mile time by putting the intercooler back in. Plus, I had absolutely no pinging while running at the quarter. I think the choice is clear, and hopefully final.

The car runs good with or without it for normal driving, just a bit less laggy without it. The smaller pulley has helped quite a bit, better low end boost response. I'm keeping it in the loop for now. I might decide to take it back out come fall, we'll see.

KC
Old 06-17-08, 08:37 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Some new pics of my car with the OEM Supra struts and the Swift springs. I absolutely love the combo.
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7724.jpg  
Old 06-17-08, 08:38 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry they're not really the best pics in the world........
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7768.jpg  
Old 06-17-08, 08:39 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

.....and the car needs washed.
Attached Thumbnails Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects-dscf7769.jpg  
Old 06-17-08, 08:39 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a clean shop

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Sorry they're not really the best pics in the world........
Old 06-23-08, 08:32 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys, made a new vid.

I think I've mentioned before that I don't fully trust my boost gauge, I think it reads low. I can also view boost in psi or kpa on the MAFTPro but I think it might actually read a little high. Anyway, attatched a diagnostic vac pressure gauge to my side veiw mirror to see what it reads. Still kind of inconclusive since it only reads to 10 psi, but I think it's safe to say I am definately blowing at least 10 psi through the intercooler.

The very first run in the vid is the best. I was doing about 80mph when I let off the gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e83X5vkIMpc

I'm hoping to get to the 1/8 mile track again next week. I'm hoping I can get my wife and inlaws to come with me so they can take some video of me going down.

KC
Old 07-03-08, 05:11 PM
MT Photo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where at in NC are you located?

I'd love to come check out your car sometime.
Old 07-03-08, 09:05 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin good KC. Sounds like its all coming together. Your car is getting pretty sick.
Old 07-04-08, 03:02 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MT Photo
Where at in NC are you located?

I'd love to come check out your car sometime.
Charlotte. If you're anywhere near mooresville, maybe we can meet at the dragway one Thursday night.

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Lookin good KC. Sounds like its all coming together. Your car is getting pretty sick.
Thanks, it's getting there.

KC
Old 07-04-08, 03:10 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

So for anyone who may have missed the EKT thread I started, MY HEADERS ARE ON THE WAY! FINALLY!

They should be here on Tuesday according to FedEx's website.

The only bad thing, I won't be able to install them for at least a week...maybe two. Even after waiting almost a year, having them in my hand and having to wait another week(s) is going to kill me. LOL. I'm 100% sure that it will be worth it once I do though.

I went to track Wednesday night in Darlington SC, I have some videos I'm going to upload to youtube soon. I won't go back to that track again BTW, I'll explain my gripes when I post the vids.

KC
Old 07-04-08, 05:05 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

KC,

What coolant temperature or engine temperature is your car at under boost? Let's say after a couple of runs. I'm having a little heating issue with my car.
Old 07-04-08, 07:04 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevechumo
KC,

What coolant temperature or engine temperature is your car at under boost? Let's say after a couple of runs. I'm having a little heating issue with my car.
I can't really say for sure, I don't have an aftermarket gauge. But..the dummy gauge in the dash never budges, if that helps.

The 1uz is one hot running engine. I can get home, open the hood and come back to it 4 hours later and the heads are still hot to the touch.

KC
Old 07-04-08, 08:18 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

KC, your car looks great, runs great, is great!! And that garage is spotless!!!

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects