Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 07:07 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great, Is it year specific?

Sorry to jack this thread. Back to the original topic.
Old 10-24-07, 07:12 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red is right.... I would suggest get a brand new origional fan bracket. Older LS brackets are pretty much about time to fail so with little more you can get a brand new one and from Lexus too. With that you can run electric or back to the basic reliable mechanical fan like KCSC400.
Old 10-24-07, 07:42 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

god i cannot wait to see this thing boosted.....i had a centrifigul SC on my cobra....they look nice
Old 10-24-07, 09:59 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This really makes me want to work on my project!
Old 10-24-07, 12:01 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Scott

Your BEST way to do this is to find a LS400 "Fan Bracket" and the LS400 "Fan Bracket Idler Pulley". This replaces the hydrolic fan pump on the SC400 motor.
But what if you go with an aftermarket radiator/FAL fan setup
Old 10-24-07, 02:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys,

Thanks Lex for the kind words and thanks for making the bracket! This wouldn't be nearly as easy of a setup without the fish.

Ways to eliminate the hydro fan.

1. I would guess that you could remove the hydro fan, install an electric fan and then loop or bypass the lines. The pump would still be pumping, so I wouldn't think there would be much hp gain.

2. You can use an LS400 bracket, bolt the pulley to the bracket without the mechanical fan and install electric. The fan bracket / pulley would then act as an idler.

3. You can use an LS400 bracket, pulley, fan and clutch and call it a day. Likely no hp gain, maybe even a slight loss. But good for reliability and a stock look.

For all three methods, some weight would be removed I would think. Also, methods 2 and 3would allow the fish bracket to be bolted to the engine. Which, in my case, is the goal.

Khris

Last edited by KC95SC400; 10-24-07 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 02:48 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400

1. I would guess that you could remove the hydro fan, install an electric fan and then loop or bypass the lines. The pump would still be pumping, so I wouldn't think there would be much hp gain.

Khris
You can do the above as KC stated, but the hydraulic bracket would not work on "The Fish" The Fish must get the LS400 Fan bracket. SC and LS brackets are different.
Old 10-24-07, 02:52 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the correction, I spaced out there for a minute. Post edited.

Khris

Originally Posted by Lextreme
You can do the above as KC stated, but the hydraulic bracket would not work on "The Fish" The Fish must get the LS400 Fan bracket. SC and LS brackets are different.
Old 10-25-07, 08:38 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Guys,

As the title of this post suggests, I need some advice and have some comments.

I going to start with my current parts list.

Parts I currently have, or that are on the way relating to my supercharger project:

Supercharger, used V-9 SSQ CCW rotation
Maf adapter, not 100% sure this will work
Lextreme T-fitting for oil pressure
Spacers, not 100% sure they will work, but I think they will and they were cheap
Fittings for air assist setup on the V-9
The fish bracket, on the way
Bolts for attaching the fish to engine, on the way
LS400 fan bracket, on the way
LS400 fan pulley, on the way
LS400 fan and clutch, on the way

Parts I still need:

Possible LS400 fan shroud
SC pulley
At least two smooth idlers
Belt
Intercooler
Intercooler piping
BOV or bypass valve
Wastegate or pressure relief valve
Oil feed hose
Oil drain hose
Fittings for oil pan tap
Bolts to attach V-9 to the fish
Wideband / AF meter
Piggyback or FMU
Spark plugs

Other stuff:

Torsen upgrade done
Battery relocation done
Fuse box relocation done
Dragon TQ done
315 injectors, have but not sure if I will use yet
EKT headers, these are theoretically on the way, going on two weeks overdue! Getting concerned.

Comments and questions in no particular order.

Do you guys see any parts missing that should be on the list?

Lex, do you remember what the smallest pulley you were able to run without belt slip problems?

Any recommendations on a wideband setup? Are there any reliable AF meters that can run off of the two rear O2 sensors in place (narrow band sensors)? Should I get a dual wideband controller or, should I add a bung to my h-pipe (there won’t be any cats)? Any other suggestions?

FMU or piggyback? Can an FMU be used to compensate for the bigger injectors if I use them? Any piggyback recommendations? Keep in mind a few things here. I’m trying to stay on a budget (LOL!!!), so bang for buck is best. Also, I don’t have, and have no intention of getting, a laptop. I have a few friends who might let me borrow theirs’ so that I could do some street tuning before getting dyno tuned. I’ve been looking into the MAP-ECU, looks like a good unit. Any other suggestions?

Spark plug recommendations?

What type of fitting should a get for the oil pan? What metal? Brass, aluminum, steel? The V-9 came with a 3/8 npt X 3/8 hose barb. I think this will be adequate if I can match it on the oil pan.

Bypass or BOV? I don’t really want the sound to be obvious, not my thing. Can a bypass valve be vented (before the MAF with a filter installed) to atmosphere?

Thoughts on this rather than a wastegate……. http://www.928m.com/parts/boostlimitervalve.php
I personally think it would work great for my application.

Suggestions on idlers? I was thinking Toyota parts. A t-belt idler from a Camry, or many others, may do the trick.

Intercooler recommendations? For now, I have decided on A2A. Anybody have experience with a universal kit that will work on the SC4? At least until I can get something custom made.

I think my biggest hold up on getting this done will be the stupid headers, it’s going on two weeks past the original promise date. This will hold me up because I plan on tapping the oil pan during the header install.

The LS400 fan sits in a completely different location, in relation to the radiator, than the SC400 hydro fan. An LS400 fan shroud may be needed. I will likely either try to modify, or totally remove my current shroud and see if the car runs any hotter.

I’m sorry for asking so much at once, but I need advice from you guys. I hope to get this done soon. I can’t freakin wait!

Thanks,

Khris
Old 10-25-07, 11:33 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Guys,

there any reliable AF meters that can run off of the two rear O2 sensors in place (narrow band sensors)? Should I get a dual wideband controller or, should I add a bung to my h-pipe (there won’t be any cats)? Any other suggestions?

Well I use a zeitronix on my s13, it's supposed to be nine inches away from the turbo. So it would be right off the headers. Bang for buck eh? Check in with 14point7.com

FMU or piggyback? Can an FMU be used to compensate for the bigger injectors if I use them? Any piggyback recommendations? Keep in mind a few things here. I’m trying to stay on a budget (LOL!!!), so bang for buck is best. Also, I don’t have, and have no intention of getting, a laptop. I have a few friends who might let me borrow theirs’ so that I could do some street tuning before getting dyno tuned. I’ve been looking into the MAP-ECU, looks like a good unit. Any other suggestions?

Well FMU's are ok, but you really can't tune them accurately because it's a rising pressure deal, if you wanna cheap out for now, go with one, otherwise go ahead and go piggyback (with the 315cc injectors) I think an Emanage ultimate would probably be the best bet. Or if you are willing you use either a megasquirt or bikirom.

Spark plug recommendations?

Two steps colder plugs probably will do the trick

What type of fitting should a get for the oil pan? What metal? Brass, aluminum, steel? The V-9 came with a 3/8 npt X 3/8 hose barb. I think this will be adequate if I can match it on the oil pan.

Are you going to weld it? You can JB weld it too, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you weld it, you're going to want something of the same material as the oil pan

Bypass or BOV? I don’t really want the sound to be obvious, not my thing. Can a bypass valve be vented (before the MAF with a filter installed) to atmosphere?

With Atmospheric blow off valves and maf/karmen sensors, it has this issue with stalling in between shifts. I dunno about on an auto though. But with a piggyback/standalone this wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure about the bypass being able to vent to the atmosphere, the only ones I've ever seen are the a one way deal with a flap.

Intercooler recommendations? For now, I have decided on A2A. Anybody have experience with a universal kit that will work on the SC4? At least until I can get something custom made.

Ebay IC with extra IC piping, cut measure, then welding shop

I’m sorry for asking so much at once, but I need advice from you guys. I hope to get this done soon. I can’t freakin wait!

Thanks,

Khris

Hope it helps, BTW I wouldn't remove the shroud, if you have to understand the stock temp gauges don't work very well, on a s-chassis it'll be like 220-250, and it'll still show normal operating temps, so I wouldn't recommend that either, unless you have an aftermarket temp gauge.
Old 10-31-07, 05:35 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info!

Keep it coming!

KC

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Hope it helps, BTW I wouldn't remove the shroud, if you have to understand the stock temp gauges don't work very well, on a s-chassis it'll be like 220-250, and it'll still show normal operating temps, so I wouldn't recommend that either, unless you have an aftermarket temp gauge.
Old 10-31-07, 05:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Got The Fish!

Has been a while since I posted, so some updates.

Got the fish bracket and bolt kit today. Looks great!

However, since this bracket was made for a V-1 / V-2, I do think I will have to modify it some to fit the V-9. The V-9 seems to have a similar bolt pattern, but with a slightly smaller radius and, for some reason, the pattern on the V-9 seems to be in a different location in relation to the oil feed and drain on the unit. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Yesterday I got the fan bracket in the mail.

Ordered an LS400 fan shroud through my work. $90 dollars.

IF I have all the fan conversion parts by Saturday, I will likely do the install on Sunday. Still waiting on the fan bracket pulley, fan, and fan clutch.

KC
Old 10-31-07, 05:55 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Intercooler stuff

Also:

Have an A2A intercooler on the way with a core size of 21X10X3. Rated for 600hp which is more than I will likely ever make.

Have an assortment of 2.5 inch and 3.0 inch piping on the way. 2.5 inch from the SC outlet to the intercooler. Step up to 3.0inch at the intercooler outlet, then all the way to the MAF. Also, a few other bits on the way.

Have a Porsche style bypass valve on the way. The original Porsche style valve is made by Bosch and looks the same as their standard bypass valve, but supposedly, it is a better unit.

IF I have all this stuff by Saturday, I will try and do a mock install on Sunday. Figure out where to run pipe and cut where needed. Then have all the cuts welded.

KC
Old 10-31-07, 06:26 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

KC, I am definitely patiently waiting a beast being built. Congrats on the continued progress.
Old 11-01-07, 08:36 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Couple of updates.

Replaced my motor mounts today (sorry, no install pics). HUGE difference.

This is the worst of the two mounts, driveside. At first glance it doesn't look too bad.

But, as you can see, it is pretty much worthless.

KC

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects