Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 09:50 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think once I get the intercooler piping figured out, it will be gravy from there. I'm still fairly confident that I'll be driving it to work on Monday.

KC
Old 11-17-07, 09:55 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Holy smokes! Thats fast! You are the man!
Old 11-17-07, 07:56 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Holy smokes! Thats fast! You are the man!
I'd probably be done by now if I could spend ALL my time on it. But....I have a wife and two kids so that's impossible. I am by no means complaining.

KC
Old 11-17-07, 08:00 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default New Pics

Some pics. As soon as I'm done posting this, I'm going to bolt it to the motor for, hopefully, the final time.

KC
Old 11-17-07, 08:11 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KC, that looks awesome.

I see your trimmed the bracket to suit to engine bay. I also see that idler pulley is positioned to get some kick *** belt wrap. The black paints looks real nice.

Once you are all installed and have time to breathe, I definitely will hit you up for some analysis of the install.

For now, keep hammering away so that your fellow Toyota Tech's jaws hit the floor on Monday morning when your car is whistling the V9's sweet tune in the parking lot.
Old 11-17-07, 09:40 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blizzy
KC, that looks awesome.

I see your trimmed the bracket to suit to engine bay. I also see that idler pulley is positioned to get some kick *** belt wrap. The black paints looks real nice.

Once you are all installed and have time to breathe, I definitely will hit you up for some analysis of the install.

For now, keep hammering away so that your fellow Toyota Tech's jaws hit the floor on Monday morning when your car is whistling the V9's sweet tune in the parking lot.
Thanks Blizzy, you always make me LOL.

The bracket and V-9 are now on the car. I'm working on the misc wiring now, then on to IC piping. I also need to measure for a belt and figure out what to do about the upper radiator hose. I think that's about it short of putting the bumper back on.

Give me a few minutes and I'll take a new pic.

KC
Old 11-17-07, 10:04 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default More new pics

Some pics to keep you mouth watering...

Yes, I cut the bracket. It was a PITA to cut!! I cut on the side and on the bottom. I don't think you could get away with cutting it with a V-1 or 2, the V-9 is a bit smaller. I'm still a bit woried it might hit the body when the engine tourqes. Guess will see. Worst comes to worst, I still have some room to cut of more.

One thing I will mention now about installation, take off the A/C compressor clutch, it makes it SO MUCH EASIER to put the bracket on and take it off.

Back to work!

KC
Old 11-18-07, 02:33 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Quick update.

Have the SC with bracket bolted on.

Have 90% of the intercooler piping ran, I am short one coupler and a few clamps. I have a temp fix.

Drive belt purchased and on, may try to find a slighty tighter one, but this one feels a bit tighter than stock. There is plenty of travel left in the tensioner. I may have won the lottery on belt alignment. Looks good, but will need to check with the engine running of course.

Left to do.

Run oil + drain line.

Upper radiator hose. I have one that I think will work.

Run vaccum line to bypass valve.

Finish IC pipes.

Finish misc wiring.

Put everything back together! Drive!

I think that's about it. I hope to pretty much be done tonight. I called my boss and I have permisison to play hookey tomorrow (I even told him the truth about why). So I hope to be driving by tomorrow sometime. I'll take it to return a few of the parts I bought and don't need.

As soon as I get a minute, I'll take some pics.

KC
Old 11-18-07, 04:22 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

you = the man.
Old 11-18-07, 06:08 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

The thing I like about the Vortech style as opposed to the roots style, is that you dont have to redo the intake manifold and air intake system.
Old 11-18-07, 09:47 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Looking F--in Good!!!
Old 11-19-07, 09:28 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Drove it tonight. PICS!!

FIrst off, some pics, I know you all are waiting.

Forgive me, both my car and the engine bay are filthy.

BP Valve. Yes, I know I'm missing clamps in the picture, don't worry I didn't forget them.

Pipe routing. Driver side.

Overall view, everything installed.

Diver side.

Pass side.

Man that hose is close. It's not as bad as it looks in the pic though.

Some install notes.

Fender needs modification to fit bracket.

Much easier to install bracket with AC clutch and pulley removed.

Stock upper radiator hose will not work. I made one, don't know if an LS400 hose would work. ??

I used two Toyota t-belt idler pulleys. One to replace the upper stock pulley, and one installed on the bracket.

If you use a Vortech with air assist, be sure to install hose clamps on the line that goes from the snail to the oil inlet. I had a fairly large puddle of oil on the floor before I figured this out.

I did not install the fan shroud I have, I don't think it will work, any ideas?

I know there's more, but I'm to tired to think about it right now.

I drove the car a little bit tonight. I have not gone over 3000rpm yet. I am currently driving with the boost release valve fully open. I do not entirely trust my boost gauge so I will tape a mechanical gauge to the window just to compare before I close the valve a bit. I may just wait to try and make boost untill Wednesday night, Thursday, this is when I plan on installing my piggyback (MAFT PRO) I am using a 2.4inch pulley for now BTW, which should be about 12psi with the 5.5 crank pulley.

So far I have not made any boost, but I'm not trying to. For some reason, I am running quite rich at idle, may be because the battery was disconnected, the ECM needs to relearn, that and I still don't have the driver's O2 connected at all. I don't think I will try to make any boost untill I drive the car a bit as is to make sure there's no belt slippage or other problems. So far, I don't appear to have any slippage issues up to 3000rpm. I think I got very lucky with belt alignment and I just happened to get it right.

DAMN, freakin Vortechs are LOUD. I freaked out when I first started the car! I took off the oil feed line to make sure there was oil. I even went and googled "vortech video sound" so I could here some others and compare. It's particularly loud during warmup, with the high RPM. Much better once the car idles down. Can barely hear it at all over 1500rpm or so. Also, the sound of a fan clutch is something I haven't heard in a while.

Well, that's it for now, I need sleep. I will try and take some better pictures soon. Will also update when I make boost!

KC
Old 11-19-07, 09:35 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Man thats fast progress! Did you sleep at all? You very well may have the record for the fasted boosted 1uz project!
Old 11-19-07, 09:45 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

That looks great. You definitely worked in record time.

It is nice to see that the boost limiter valve is showing no boost up to 3k rpm. With that 12psi pulley, you should be seeing 5-6psi at that rpm level.

Get some sleep. That is a job well done.
Old 11-19-07, 09:50 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Man thats fast progress! Did you sleep at all? You very well may have the record for the fasted boosted 1uz project!
Yes, I did sleep, but not much. Despite taking about four days, I really didn't put that much time into it. I have a wife and two kids who demand my attention during the day. I would say about 20-25 real hours into it.

KC

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects