Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Project 1jz Boosted

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 10:11 AM
dis 4 duc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project 1jz Boosted

Well lets start thing off. I'm 19 and I just recently started driving about 2 or 3months. So dad gave me his lexus sc300 automatic ( cant go wrong with a free car and its a lexus) this car has about 190k miles on it and it still runs pretty good . i was debating on keeping this car or getting a civic hatch back . took me a while to decide and i made my decision on keeping the sc because it would be really different since all my friends drive honda ... i dont know much about cars so i been surfing this forum for a while and found good infomation and i give alot of PROP to CL , which i hoping yall can help me w/ my build .

so when i decided to keep it i was bored one night and just surfing the interweb and was on ebay and i saw a 1jz w/ a 5 spd for 2500. i thought about it reallly really hard . so i talk to a couple of my friends and they said not to bad of a deal so i was like heck w/ it im going to buy it ... so i called the place and ask where the located at which was in NJ... im from sweet home alabama ....it was a 15 hour drive .....so i was like hell im going to go pick it up me and one of my friend went and pick it up.... **GOT PIX will post up ***

so now i have a 1jz sitting in my garage ... so we stripped the whole motor ... going to go get the head and bottem end port and polished and whatever need to be done ....my goal is to push atleast 500-600 hp or more.
feel free to give me some suggestion.

what i have done to the car so far was put new shocks and springs.

what i wanna do is redo the interior w/ a nice clean look and exterior do something the same......

as of right now i need to work and make money and ill keep yall posted up

-dUck
Old 10-31-07, 10:23 AM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Hmm, I hope you got the 1jz out of a soarer and not a supra.. And if it is a r134 tranny i believe theres some moding to get it to fit. I got my 1jz for like 1300 I think can't remember. But i had a 5spd in my car already so tranny wasen't an issue.
Old 10-31-07, 10:39 AM
dis 4 duc

How would i check if it was a supra or a soarer , when i bought it it said supra so im guessing i would have to do some modding to it?
Old 10-31-07, 10:47 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to sound old, but

1. If you just started driving you should be getting used to driving, not boosting your car to 500-600hp
2. You are not going to reach those goals with a 1jz, even singled you still probably won't get there...
3. You should spend a little more time researching before dropping $2500 on a motorset that you don't know much about.

All that aside,

4. Good luck with the build

Jonny
Old 10-31-07, 10:54 AM
dis 4 duc

Originally Posted by Dx3
Not to sound old, but

1. If you just started driving you should be getting used to driving, not boosting your car to 500-600hp
2. You are not going to reach those goals with a 1jz, even singled you still probably won't get there...
3. You should spend a little more time researching before dropping $2500 on a motorset that you don't know much about.

All that aside,

Jonny

right now im still getting used to driving ... i want to do some track time so i know how it feels to drive a very fast car that pushes that limit.... i been trying to do some research of whats the pro's and con's .... and when i bought this motorset it was just for me having to look forward to something in the furture and come in CL and see what yall have to say

thank u for the ups
Old 10-31-07, 11:14 AM
sc300gte
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
Not to sound old, but

All that aside,

Jonny

explain to me why he won't reach 500-600 hp? It is really pretty easy on a 1jz....

Please, keep this false information OFF the forums.
Old 10-31-07, 11:37 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sc300gte
explain to me why he won't reach 500-600 hp? It is really pretty easy on a 1jz....

Pretty easy huh How many people on here are making 600rwhp with a 1jz?

With a good chunk of money yes it is possible - but if he is on a budget (like 99% of people) it is not cheap. Obviously it is "doable" - anything is. But likely... no.

So it isn't "false" information

Jonny
Old 10-31-07, 11:40 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc300gte

A decent 61-67mm turbo with supporting mods (FMIC, exhaust, BC),perhaps an exhaust cam, and a good tune and you're there. it's a wee bit harder than the 2jz, but it can definitely be done, and has been done many times over.
Old 10-31-07, 11:44 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Pretty easy huh How many people on here are making 600rwhp with a 1jz?

With a good chunk of money yes it is possible - but if he is on a budget (like 99% of people) it is not cheap. Obviously it is "doable" - anything is. But likely... no.

So it isn't "false" information

Jonny
with that same reasoning, 600rwhp on any engine would be a stretch. If you have a goal in mind, your budget has to cater to that goal.

What comes to mind is the guy who hit 901whp in his 1j'd SC with stock block.

I'm also building a 1jz SC300 at those power levels, for under 8k, including the price of the car, engine and all materials. I don't know of a more budget-minded individual than me.
Old 10-31-07, 11:47 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tavarish
with that same reasoning, 600rwhp on any engine would be a stretch. If you have a goal in mind, your budget has to cater to that goal.

What comes to mind is the guy who hit 901whp in his 1j'd SC with stock block.

I'm also building a 1jz SC300 at those power levels, for under 8k, including the price of the car, engine and all materials. I don't know of a more budget-minded individual than me.
I concur. However, you obviously know a lot about your car and the 1jz. The original poster himself stated that he knows very little about cars. Therefore, for someone who doesn't know the cars, he cannot easily slap together a singled 1jz kit and make 600rwhp unless he has some good $$$ to go along with it...

Jonny
Old 10-31-07, 12:30 PM
dis 4 duc

well i dont go to school right now i work full time w/ some family member and getting payed pretty good . i have enought to put in the car and for me and im willing to put as much as it takes bc im redoing my car inside out =]
Old 10-31-07, 12:31 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
I concur. However, you obviously know a lot about your car and the 1jz. The original poster himself stated that he knows very little about cars. Therefore, for someone who doesn't know the cars, he cannot easily slap together a singled 1jz kit and make 600rwhp unless he has some good $$$ to go along with it...

Jonny
You have a good point. :-D
Old 10-31-07, 12:33 PM
cruzinbill
Rookie

and to answer the question noone else has. to tell if it is a soarer 1j and not a supra 1j is quite simple. check the ecu plugs and refer to this link and the 5th post.http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showt...0&page=1&pp=30
Old 10-31-07, 01:01 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

soarer 1j = rear sump, clutch fan, and 4 row ecu plugs.

supra = front/mid sump, no clutch fan, and 2 row ecu plugs.

The soarer and chaser ECUs are interchangeable, but the chaser body plugs are not the same, and the chaser harness is actually missing 2 ecu plugs (provided in the body harness of the chaser)
Old 10-31-07, 01:39 PM
sc300gte
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny

As was stated above. It is only a little bit harder to reach those numbers on a 1jz compared to a 2jzgte. A single kit, and cams with a good stand alone and you will be there.

he original poster himself stated that he knows very little about cars. Therefore, for someone who doesn't know the cars, he cannot easily slap together a singled 1jz kit and make 600rwhp unless he has some good $$$ to go along with it...
That is a good point there, however i disagree. It was stated a few posts up. Cams, a nice single kit and a stand alone and there is 500-600whp easily. Of course that comes with its costs, but it seems as if the thread starter realizes there are costs to building a 500whp car.

Regardless, all i was saying was please don't post unless you have personal experience. It makes it difficult to weed through relevant information on the forum, and is how rumors get started.

(Quick example is how for years people were swapping out the GE bottom end for the GTE even though they are nearly the same strength.)

Quick Reply: Project 1jz Boosted