Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I took my car in for a multi point inspection...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 06:05 AM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I took my car in for a multi point inspection...

My local Lexus dealership was offering a free multi point inspection so I decided to take my car in. Its a 1995 SC300 with 92,000 miles on it. Unfortunately i've been a bad owner and haven't taken it in to get a tune up, replace the shocks, or replace the timing belt yet so I knew this would probably be brought up after the inspection. Here is a list of things they pointed out and their price. I'm sure these prices are high, since it's at the dealer, but i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the prices should be. I would also love some feedback about the order of which I should get things done since I can't drop that much money at the same time.

Front shocks starting to leak = $890
Drive belt cracked = $128
Valve cover gaskets starting to leak = $650
Spark plugs = $455
Timing belt = $693
90K service = $750 (what does this include? and is it worth it?)

I was already figuring that i would need to get the Timing belt replaced, so I would go ahead and get the water pump replaced at the same time, but I didn't know if I should get one of the items listed above, done first.

Any and all help with this subject will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-02-07, 06:12 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AZN Lex
My local Lexus dealership was offering a free multi point inspection so I decided to take my car in. Its a 1995 SC300 with 92,000 miles on it. Unfortunately i've been a bad owner and haven't taken it in to get a tune up, replace the shocks, or replace the timing belt yet so I knew this would probably be brought up after the inspection. Here is a list of things they pointed out and their price. I'm sure these prices are high, since it's at the dealer, but i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the prices should be. I would also love some feedback about the order of which I should get things done since I can't drop that much money at the same time.

Front shocks starting to leak = $890 LOL - replace them for $200 on here
Drive belt cracked = $128 Or else you could spend $30 on one and put it on yourself.
Valve cover gaskets starting to leak = $650 Way too expensive.
Spark plugs = $455 Not sure what kind of spark plugs they use, but you can do this yourself for $50-$100
Timing belt = $693 For some reason some dealerships don't keep this in the 90k service. If this is the labor and timing belt then this isn't a bad deal for a Lexus dealership.
90K service = $750 (what does this include? and is it worth it?) I forget what all is involved in this but it should be tied in with your timing belt and YES, do your water pump when you are down there.

I was already figuring that i would need to get the Timing belt replaced, so I would go ahead and get the water pump replaced at the same time, but I didn't know if I should get one of the items listed above, done first.

Thanks
I would put timing belt down as your first choice. I believe we have interference motors so if you T Belt breaks you will be in for an expensive ride...

Jonny
Old 11-02-07, 06:14 AM
powrserj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was just pricing out 2 of them. Paid about $240 Shipped for a set of KYB GR'2s installation shouldnt be more then $200 - $300 and thats the whole setup so the $890 for OEM ones when you can get a better ride from something else. Let me correct that $890 for the fronts GOD DAMN thats a Rip. But cant hate on the Good old Stealership =)

And the Spark Plugs about $40 Shipped and figure wires, dist cap, rotor about $150 - $200 depending on what wires you want. So with installation you will pay like $300 for everything all together and thats with the Cap, Rotor and Wires.

Valve Cover Gasket + Timing Belt and Drive belt would be a all at once type of setup so I doubt your paying $1300 at a regular shop to get that done the parts dont even cost that much the labor is time taking but not worth about 1K.

Best bet outsource the parts online or on Fleabay and find a good shop that deals with Lexus/Toyota's.
Old 11-02-07, 06:31 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
I would put timing belt down as your first choice. I believe we have interference motors so if you T Belt breaks you will be in for an expensive ride...

Jonny
TIMING BELT FIRST!!!

Originally Posted by powrserj
Well I was just pricing out 2 of them. Paid about $240 Shipped for a set of KYB GR'2s installation shouldnt be more then $200 - $300 and thats the whole setup so the $890 for OEM ones when you can get a better ride from something else. Let me correct that $890 for the fronts GOD DAMN thats a Rip. But cant hate on the Good old Stealership =)

And the Spark Plugs about $40 Shipped and figure wires, dist cap, rotor about $150 - $200 depending on what wires you want. So with installation you will pay like $300 for everything all together and thats with the Cap, Rotor and Wires.

Valve Cover Gasket + Timing Belt and Drive belt would be a all at once type of setup so I doubt your paying $1300 at a regular shop to get that done the parts dont even cost that much the labor is time taking but not worth about 1K.

Best bet outsource the parts online or on Fleabay and find a good shop that deals with Lexus/Toyota's.
Good advice... If you're not a DIY guy, get the parts and find a reputable shop around your area. If you are a DIY guy, get with someone from CL around your area and hang out and work on your ride. GL
Old 11-02-07, 06:33 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spark plugs = $455
Timing belt = $693

Thanks

Go back to that dealer, pull your pants down, and drop a deuce right on the service managers desk!

Front shocks - At MOST, $200 in parts and 1 hour of your time.
Drive belt - $50-$75, 1 hour time
Valve Cover Gaskets - $10 Time consuming but very easy to do
Spark Plugs $60 at the MOST and about 1-2 hours work time
Old 11-02-07, 07:09 AM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I would like to do the work myself, but unfortunately i don't have a lot of tools or space to do it. A couple of more questions though.

If I replace the front shocks should I replace the rear ones at the same time?

If i was thinking about lowering the car should I go ahead and try to do that the same time I replace the shocks?

From the sounds of it, I should get the timing belt replace first. While they are doing that, they can replace the drive belt and water pump without much additional labor?

Then the Valve cover gasket,

And the spark plugs, shocks, and 90K service can wait?
Old 11-02-07, 07:49 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I would make sure the car is excellent running condition before worrying about lowering. You said the front shocks are just starting to leak. While I would receommend replacing them soon, they can wait until after all mechanical stuff is done. Yes, lower the car when replacing the shocks. When lowering you should be using shocks designed for lowered vehicles anyway.

Do the plugs right away. The 90k service basically includes everything you are having done along with some inspections, fluid replacements, etc. The fact that they were going to charge you for the 90k ON TOP of everything else tells me that this dealer is less than honest.

The timing belt, while doable at home, requires some mechanic ability and a good deal of time. More times that not, it's easier to go to the dealer. Is this a Lexus delaer you went to?? Remember, Toyota dealers do the exact same work and charge roughly half. Find a Toyota dealer, have them do the timing belt and water pump. Do the valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, rotor & cap all yourself. Aside from the good feeling your left with after working on your own car, you'll learn quite a bit about your motor which will pay dividends in the months/years to come.
Old 11-02-07, 08:07 AM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

lol @ prices
Old 11-02-07, 09:45 AM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

spark plugs are.. 50 tops.. (NGK iridiums) also buy that.. silver stuff to put on the threads (5 bucks)

Shocks.. well if ur fronts are blown.. then your rears are about to go out too.. so might as well replace ALL four.. and if u plan on lowering it.. heres the time..

TIMING BELT is a must.. if your timing belt snaps while you are driving... then your can basically say good bye sc

DRIVE BELT.. just buy it and do it yourself.. not that hard.. can be done in less than 5 minutes.. just need a 14mm socket and leverage..

valve cover.. im sure you can do that yourself..

90k service? soo theres a price.. on TOP of all those prices? wtf

just change all your fluids..
OIL
TRANNY OIL
radiator coolant
power steering
brakes
so on

yea
Old 11-02-07, 04:21 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fwynn
TIMING BELT is a must.. if your timing belt snaps while you are driving... then your can basically say good bye sc
Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
Untrue, on a 95 SC, if the belt snaps while you're driving, it will not damage the motor since it's non-interference. Change the belts and you're good to go. Make sure you guys check your facts before giving advise to others.

All pre-VVTi SC300 motors are non-interference.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 11-02-07 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-02-07, 04:59 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Spark plugs = $455
Timing belt = $693

Thanks
The 90K service for $465.00 at our dealer includes:

- Oil and filter change
- Tire rotation
- Topping off fluids and inspecting them
- Air filter replacement
- Coolant exhange
- Brake Fluid exchange
- Brake Inspection/Adjustment

The $750 that your dealer is asking must include the Transmission and Power Steering Fluid exchange and Fuel Induction service as well. At our dealer, we inspect those items first before recommending so. People's driving habits differ.

Also recommended at every 90K miles or so is the T-Belt. While there, you might as well do the water pump and seals as preventative maintenance. The $693.00 sounds legit to me. The labor itself is like $600 bucks depending on how the Dollar per Labor Hour is set up.

The Spark Plug replacement price seems a little high. Check with another dealer to verify. The pre 97 vehicles(If serviced at the dealer), will need the spark plugs replace every 60K miles.

I'd rather find an independent dealer to do the valve cover gaskets. In a worse case scenario, just have the dealer do it just to save you the hassle. Don't be afraid to ask for a discount

As for the shocks, just replace all 4 with new tokico's or something. Hell, for $900 bucks, step up to some Tein Basics! They don't cost nearly as much. As for installation, just invite some of us blokes over to help you. I'm pretty sure someone can help you in exchange for some Brew...LoL

Typically, older models will have more recommendations than the newer cars due to their age. When slapped in the face with a list that totals more than the worth of the vehicle, my customers either do one of 3 things. They do it because they love their car, take it to "another" shop, or they straight up buy a new car.

A lot of us on this board are DIY'ers. I encourage it. And for that fact, they save themselves from spending more than what their budget allows. Spreading the knowledge and lending a hand is what makes this forum so great
Old 11-02-07, 06:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Old 11-02-07, 06:41 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

$455 SPARK PLUGS?! Damn dealers - gotta love em. Always good for a laugh
Old 11-02-07, 08:28 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Haha crazy prices, specially spark plugs....455 thats got to be a joke you can get spark plugs at Advance for like 20-30$.
Old 11-02-07, 09:35 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 100mgbluep
lol @ prices
insert roflbbq emoticon here.