Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

12 MPG!! I got a plan. Anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 05:24 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same here, minus plug wires, cap and rotor and 02 sensors
Old 12-26-07, 12:19 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

jeez you should be getting at least 20mpg average, my SC has been doing an average of 21.9 lately. My SC is also a 98 with 125K miles. Oh..not to mention, I use 89 ocatane gas in my car too instead of the required 91.

Last edited by Luxor; 12-26-07 at 12:21 PM. Reason: blah
Old 12-26-07, 12:27 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

This is what I what I did to give my car a proper tune up..(USE OEM PARTS ONLY) I replaced my fuel filter, NGK Iridium spark plugs, air filter, PCV valve, spark plug wires, bottle of injector cleaner in tank, and cleaned the throttle body. I have not replaced the O2 sensors, but they are still doing good.
Old 12-26-07, 10:48 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

what kinda gas millage were you getting before the tune up? just curious and how did you tell if your PCV valve was bad?
Old 12-30-07, 01:19 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luke_in_SD
what kinda gas millage were you getting before the tune up? just curious and how did you tell if your PCV valve was bad?
Well the PCV wasn't bad, It's a cheap part worth replacing anyways. You can test the PCV valve by blowing and sucking on it, it's a one way valve. I was getting about 18mpg before the tune up if I remember correctly.
Old 01-04-08, 03:45 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Ok I got a little improvement 275 in this instead of 243

Changed fuel filter, Put in Good Gas Chevron with a bottle of techron, new toyota air filter, put air in all tires and got an alignment

so 14mpg to 15.7

a little better.

Also I took the car in the Toyota / Lexus shop and they ran a diagnostics check on the motor and its running fine not too rich or lean.

He said I didn't need to change the cap and rotor but do change the plug wires since they are some cheap aftermarket brand.

He said also try putting on the stock wheels on for 1 tank. Cause the 19's I have with the 40 series tires are a lot taller than stock and causing the odometer to miss read

I'll keep you guys updated on this
Old 01-05-08, 02:48 PM
crx378
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tires all the way! i bet your speedometer is off too. dakota digital to the rescue!
Old 01-05-08, 03:14 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea I bet those 19s weigh you down especially if you only drive in the street/highway traffic. Shouldn't be too much of a difference if you're usually in free flowing highway.

I usually get more mpg when I put in a bottle of fuel system cleaner, but only for that one tank. The next tank usually goes back to normal mpg.
Old 01-06-08, 08:00 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

got some new OEM Lexus Plugs wires, can't wait to get that cheap brand out off the car
Old 01-07-08, 08:29 AM
CyBorG
Pole Position

When was the last time you did an alignment? I've had issues in the past where I thought everything was fine and then all of a sudden my mpg was terrible. Then I remembered hitting a huge hole in the road the other day which most likely ruined my alignment. The miles I got from a tank literally dropped from 300 to 210.
Old 01-07-08, 02:39 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

I got an alignment a week before christmas added to the tires too
Old 01-08-08, 12:50 AM
forcefed86
Pole Position

Not sure why everyone believes throwing some sea foam in to the engine is gonna give you some super MPG improvement. IMO U can take your seafoam and throw it on the shelf with all the other miracle in a little bottle additives that do squat for your car.

Anyway enough about that. Your engine is the same as any other. And if your avg'n 15mpg somethings not correct. I'd buy a wideband 02 sensor so I could monitor exactly what my A/F ratios were. I paid 200 bucks for mine and it's worth it's weight in gold.

Also check your timing... It plays a big part in fuel savings. Even though your car may have been in spec for toyotas standards that doesn't mean something isn't wrong with it. Your 02's sensor play the biggest part in cruise fuel control, I'd look there. And if you had a WB02 you could check that very easily as well. Don't believe the local dealer just because they are to lazy to figure out why your MPG is down.

When taking these MPG readings are they taken with cruise control on long highway trips? Or zipping in and out of traffic around town?
Old 01-08-08, 12:55 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Seafoam in these cars goes a LONG way. These are non interference engines and they depend entirely on the ability to push the proper fluids and air through the ports that get gummed up from carbon and other by products.
Old 01-08-08, 09:29 AM
forcefed86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Seafoam in these cars goes a LONG way. These are non interference engines and they depend entirely on the ability to push the proper fluids and air through the ports that get gummed up from carbon and other by products.
I'm not saying it can't help. Yes, if you bought the car from grandma and it's never neen over 3krpm for 10 years you will benefit from the seafoam. I'm just saying with a normally driven car that is well taken car of you aren't going to see some miracle 10mpg improvement w/ a sea foam treatment.

I guess I punish my engines to much for any carbon build up to occur. I've torn down alot of them and never had the slightest problem...

160k buick 3.8.... 30lbs of boost pump gas and meth injection... I blew a damn oil cooler line and wiped a cam or it would still be chugging along today. Rebuilt this one last winter. Note the spotless CC chambers/pistons/valves. And I bought the engine from a 55 year old man. All original 120k never opened motor. I'm sure it looked horrible on the inside before The alcohol and high cyl. pressures got to it.

I was just pushing the alky injection benefits of cleaning motors, not trying to flame any sea foam enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-08, 01:11 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

who said seafoamed improved gas milage anyways?
seafoam just cleans the engine internally, n stuff in it, lines, injectors etc.. which in return CAN help mph. not will. CAN

Quick Reply: 12 MPG!! I got a plan. Anything else?