Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help? Need steps on how to locate and change transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 05:19 PM
lionj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help? Need steps on how to locate and change transmission fluid

Hi Guys,

I need to change my transmission fluid on my 92 sc400. Can someone tell me where to locate it so that I can change it. Thanx guys.
Old 01-16-02, 05:27 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look pass the oil bolt. You will see the transmission, the transmission bolt is right there near the end of the transmission oil pan. a 14 mm key will take it out. refill at the dip stick, takes 2 liters, don't over fill.
Old 01-16-02, 06:24 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Would it be good to go ahead and drop the pan and change the filter? or does it have one? What ATF would you recommend
Old 01-16-02, 07:00 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can drop the pan, there's a metal filter, you can clean and re-use it if you wish. The manual says to change two quarts, but that is of course not the total fluid capacity of the unit, it's about 10qts if I remember correctly. Use only Toyota Type T-IV fluid, don't let anyone tell you the Dexron Mercon II is the same formulation, it's not, Toyota doesn't release the specs on their fluid. 14mm socket for the drain plug on the pan.
Old 01-16-02, 07:12 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Would you use the black permatex to be a sealant between the pan and the transmission? Also dont forget the torque convertor as well, that is almost always overlooked when doing transmission fluid changes.
Old 01-17-02, 05:18 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

And if I want to change more than 2 liters, is it best to drop the pan, or should I do the original 2 liters, drive it a week, then do 2 liters more for better "Toyota compliance"?? I'm getting ready to change that fluid (plus the rear end)!
Old 01-17-02, 06:21 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

That's what I would do, especially the trans. fluid hasn't been change. Change 2 liters at the same time I change the engine oil. Keep changing it until the color is red again.

Originally posted by joelchicago
And if I want to change more than 2 liters, is it best to drop the pan, or should I do the original 2 liters, drive it a week, then do 2 liters more for better "Toyota compliance"?? I'm getting ready to change that fluid (plus the rear end)!
Old 01-17-02, 06:26 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Erfan,

I wouldn't drop the pan, just change 2 liters at a time until the fluid is clean again.
ONLY SC400 and LS400 use Toyota Type T-IV trans. fluid. I don't know about GS400 and GS300. My manual read SC300 doesn't use Type T-IV, SC300 use Dexron transmission; therefore, ES300 would use Dexron fluid also. Check with the manual or the dealer to make sure. Type T-IV is expensive.

Originally posted by Erfan
Would it be good to go ahead and drop the pan and change the filter? or does it have one? What ATF would you recommend
Old 01-17-02, 06:57 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

VQT,

You seem like a very knowlegable individual. Can i just yank the PCV valve right out of my valve cover? I bought a new one for $3.00 at Autozone and want to install it this weekend. Is it a hard job, anything I should know before hand?

Thanks
Old 01-17-02, 07:37 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I would say yes for the PCV valve.
I am not that knowledgeble.

VQT,

You seem like a very knowlegable individual. Can i just yank the PCV valve right out of my valve cover? I bought a new one for $3.00 at Autozone and want to install it this weekend. Is it a hard job, anything I should know before hand?

Thanks
Old 01-17-02, 02:28 PM
black sc
Pole Position

VQT,

Thanks
PCV valve does just yank out but, you may have to replace the rubber gasket around the PCV valve. If it, is old and dry. It will crumble. If pieces fall in the PCV chamber. Use tweezers to get them out like, I did. Also, check the PCV hoses to see if they are not frayed. If you bought the one from Autozone. Refund it. It is too big and does not work well. I think it is Deutch brand. If it is another brand, it may work ok. I used the Deutche PCV valve and threw it away in about a week.
Old 01-17-02, 02:54 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Blacksc,

Thank for the input bro, that is exactly what i was looking for. The brand is Deutsch, I am returning it now per your instructions and I am going tonight to my local Toyota dealership and they are going to change my oil for $14.95 and i talked them into replacing my PCV valve for free and it is going to be a Toyota part.

VQT, you have dissapointed me my son
Old 01-17-02, 06:14 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I never said I am knowledgable. THe PCV valve I bought for my Corvette from Pepboy fit. Haven't try on the Lexus yet. Your car is an ES300. It is the same engine as the Toyota V6. I would think that auto parts store carry parts for toyota.

Blacksc,

Thank for the input bro, that is exactly what i was looking for. The brand is Deutsch, I am returning it now per your instructions and I am going tonight to my local Toyota dealership and they are going to change my oil for $14.95 and i talked them into replacing my PCV valve for free and it is going to be a Toyota part.

VQT, you have dissapointed me my son
Old 01-17-02, 06:27 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

I bought the PCV valve from a Toyota dealership today and it cost me $8.00, but i know it will work perfectly.
Old 11-10-07, 01:49 PM
orangecar
Pole Position

is there a way to check the trans fluid on a manual without climbing under the car? it's cold outside

Quick Reply: Help? Need steps on how to locate and change transmission fluid