Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 12:46 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the interior wasn't getting redone, i was gonna steal his recaro leather seats for my own....

now i have two things to look foward to...the swap and the interior!!! The suspense is killing me!!!
Old 01-28-08, 01:19 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be right back...
Old 01-28-08, 02:03 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kyoso23
I'll be right back...
Hey!!! I call drivers Side!!!! you get the passenger side
Old 02-03-08, 05:06 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting close man!!
Old 02-08-08, 10:51 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting for my Custom drive shaft.
For those following here is what to use.
Get a stock TT 6 speed drive shaft and have the rear section re-tubed 5 3/8" longer. This is of course if you use the 6 speed diff as well. The front section looks like it will work due to its adjustable.
I should have mine back next week.

I am still up in the air on my shifter. I have the following to choose from.
Used stock 97 shifter
New stock 94 shifter (shorter throw)
Used Stillway shifter

All these and I really want a C's
Old 02-08-08, 11:06 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

you might as well order the C's you have yet to cheap out on anything else. C's is just the logical ending thought.
Old 02-08-08, 11:13 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
you might as well order the C's you have yet to cheap out on anything else. C's is just the logical ending thought.
I probally should, The stillway was not cheap by any means either. For the price of it and the brand new 94 one I could buy a C's.

I really like the in line shifting concept of the Stillway but I am not to excited about the shiny **** on it.
Old 02-08-08, 04:19 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott,

I've had all different combinations of driveshafts (modified 6-speed two-piece, custom one piece with billet ends, and a modified GX470 DS). The GX470 DS is by far the best option, IMO, for a boosted SC that's running a getrag.

A modifed TT 6-speed DS works ok, but the U-joints are not serviceable. Eventually, you'll have to replace it with either another used shaft or a new one. Building a custom one-piece with billet ends is pricey, but the main problem is getting the universal joints on center with the output shaft of the tranny as well as the differential. That's what causes most of the imbalance problems on a one-piece.

The Lexus GX 470 DS is the best option. It's a telescoping one-piece with a serviceable U-joint and a companion flange that coincidentally has a matching mechanical interface to the getrag output shaft. There are grooves in the tranny companion flange that center the DS when bolted up. Then, all you need to do is retube the aft section and weld the differential companion flange on the back.

I acquired a GX shaft for free, and it only cost about $175 for the retube, weld work, and balance.

Just FYI...

-scott
Old 02-12-08, 06:28 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Scott,

I've had all different combinations of driveshafts (modified 6-speed two-piece, custom one piece with billet ends, and a modified GX470 DS). The GX470 DS is by far the best option, IMO, for a boosted SC that's running a getrag.

A modifed TT 6-speed DS works ok, but the U-joints are not serviceable. Eventually, you'll have to replace it with either another used shaft or a new one. Building a custom one-piece with billet ends is pricey, but the main problem is getting the universal joints on center with the output shaft of the tranny as well as the differential. That's what causes most of the imbalance problems on a one-piece.

The Lexus GX 470 DS is the best option. It's a telescoping one-piece with a serviceable U-joint and a companion flange that coincidentally has a matching mechanical interface to the getrag output shaft. There are grooves in the tranny companion flange that center the DS when bolted up. Then, all you need to do is retube the aft section and weld the differential companion flange on the back.

I acquired a GX shaft for free, and it only cost about $175 for the retube, weld work, and balance.

Just FYI...

-scott
Good info, to bad I already had my driveshaft sent out when you wrote this. My modified TT shaft should be here tomorrow.
Old 02-12-08, 08:46 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I didn't get to ya sooner. Here's a completed GX470 shaft for one of our local Supra owners in Dallas: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...9&postcount=72

I've had mine for a while; obviously, it's a little longer for the SC.

-scott
Old 02-12-08, 08:51 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, I like that! I have to find me one. Wonder how hard they are to find?
Old 02-20-08, 03:18 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Really bummed! I havent actually drove the car but just running it on the stands the transmission is really noisy! I think there is something wrong in it. This is a major set back! I am going to try a few things but its looking like I got a bad deal on the tranny. I am probaly going to have to pull it back out. This really sucks!

More later.....................................................
Old 02-20-08, 03:24 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't you using a multi plate clutch? If so are you sure its not just that? My twin disc HKS is one chattering clutch.
Old 02-20-08, 03:29 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoLongerA13bFan
Aren't you using a multi plate clutch? If so are you sure its not just that? My twin disc HKS is one chattering clutch.

The disc does make noise but this is when the clutch is released. Worse in higher gears. I am going to drain it and refill it. What kind of gear oil goes in these anyway?
Old 02-20-08, 03:32 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

<---- keeping his fingers crossed for you

Quick Reply: 97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread