Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 12:56 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah best of luck man....hopefully its just low fluid or something. Thats whats scared me the most tho when buying used stuff, you really never know what your getting. Either way im sure you'll get it straight, you've gone this far! Where did you get that tranny from anyway, supraforums?

GL Bro!
Old 02-21-08, 03:01 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V160's are fairly noisy at higher gears I've found. A lightweight flywheel and short shifter definitely won't quiet it down any. Currently there are only two options in trans fluid for the V160. Toyota (recomended) and RP Synchromax (tried by many and good feedback reported). I wouldn't ue anything else. If the car is sitting on the ground, engine running, and you can shift through all gears, then that's a good sign. Can you take video or a sound bite so we can hear what it's doing?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 02-21-08, 03:47 PM
Brennan401
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang in there. It is never easy modding and it looks like the problems will not stop. BUT it is worth in the end.
Old 02-21-08, 04:03 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks like its coming along great. I'm surprised that the Toyota dealer doesn't even carry fluid for their own transmission. That sucks big time. I hope you get it all worked out though. It should be pretty kick *** when it's all done.
Old 02-21-08, 04:09 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your support.

Originally Posted by c0wboy
V160's are fairly noisy at higher gears I've found. A lightweight flywheel and short shifter definitely won't quiet it down any. Currently there are only two options in trans fluid for the V160. Toyota (recomended) and RP Synchromax (tried by many and good feedback reported). I wouldn't ue anything else. If the car is sitting on the ground, engine running, and you can shift through all gears, then that's a good sign. Can you take video or a sound bite so we can hear what it's doing?

Thanks,

Eric
Eric, I will see what I come up with tonight. I have am thinking it could be low on fluid. I had it on my list to check before I drove it anyway. The reason I suspect it is it has a very slow drip that seems to be originating from the case seam (not the seals) I have no idea how long this transmission set before I got it but I have the imprssion it could be years. I am going to drain it tonight, Check for metal debris in the fluid I drain, check how much is in there and then refill with RP Synchromax (later I will put the V160 in once I determine if the tranny is good or not)

The noise is at idle in neutral, and in the higher gears at lower RPMs. This is just on jack stands so no load. It is sorta like a gear rattle? If the fluid doesnt fix it I will shoot a short video.

Thanks for you help
Old 02-21-08, 04:28 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^EH, sounds normal to me.
I would also expect the tranny to make more noise than normal with the car up in the air and no load on the tranny (so-to-speak).
Old 02-22-08, 05:06 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with LexusFTW - especially when "in the higher gears at lower RPMs." If it shifts fine through all the gears, then it's probably ok.

My tranny gets very noisy when loaded up at low RPMs. Also, you'll find shifting a getrag to be notchy and noisy, as well. It definitely doesn't shift like the w58.

Good luck!
-scott
Old 02-22-08, 06:56 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Drove the car for the 1st time.
Several issues to work out but I am getting there.
Tranny still makes a fair amount of noise but shifts through the gears OK.
Clutch pedal just barely disengages at the floor, I am going to see what I can do about that.
Clutch makes some noise but I expected it to make some noise. Typical rattle of a metal clutch.
Clutch is touchy but it can be slipped. When you slip it, it squeals a little. But you can slip it. I am considering a different master cylinder to try and overcome some of these issues. The throwout bearing may need one more ship but then again as the clutch wears the pedal disengage point will come up. A smaller bore Master cylinder would help the quick engagment but given the same stroke the clutch would not disengage.

I didnt just lay on the Gas but I did get tempted to stomp it once or twice. I am going to need stickyer tires. It will pretty much light the tires up without a lot of effort.

Its going to be good once its all worked out, I am sure. I will get some pictures and videos soon.
Old 02-23-08, 10:18 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Feeling better about the tranmission noise.

To Quote cribbj over on Lextreme:
Scott, the Getrag is going to make an annoying rattling noise with any lightweight flywheel. Only the Supra OEM dual mass flywheel quiets it down. You can minimise the noise by cranking the idle speed up to 1100-1200 rpm, but you need to be running a standalone to do that.....

I replied:
You are dead right on the noise. It makes a rattling sound from 600-1100 RPM then it goes away. I had myself convinced the trassmision was bad and I would need to pull it for a rebuild. This has been the heaviest weight on my mind. If what you are saying is correct, maybe it will be OK.

He replied:
OK, it's definitely the Getrag - talk with any Supra owner who's running a lightweight flywheel. It's a classic "problem", which isn't really a problem, just annoying, particularly when you pull up to people at stoplights in your hot looking car that sounds like it's rattling apart.....

turboandrew then said:
John is right, totally normal. Most Supra owners "fix" this with a high idle and/or a very loud exhaust.

I feel a little better about it now and next time I pull the transmission I think I have a fix.
Old 02-23-08, 01:15 PM
c0wboy
Banned

If it shifts fine, roll with it

Eric
Old 02-23-08, 03:30 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to hear...personally I liked my clutch on the Z that would engage and disengage at the floor. I would only have to flick my anckle to shift. No one could drive it either lol
Old 02-23-08, 05:00 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by c0wboy
If it shifts fine, roll with it

Eric
It does, I will. Thanks Eric!

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
glad to hear...personally I liked my clutch on the Z that would engage and disengage at the floor. I would only have to flick my anckle to shift. No one could drive it either lol
I will get get used to it I am sure. Long way off from my tercel and Rav4 but how can I even compare the two?
Old 02-23-08, 08:35 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Scott...I am really glad to hear that you have your Getrag installed successfully to the point where the car is now driveable. How many Japanese Import Coupes with a V8, an M90, and a 6MT are on the roadways in this country? I would guess very, very few. You definitely have a keeper.

I will be anxious to hear more about the driving impressions once you have more time to acclimate yourself to the new set up.
Old 02-24-08, 11:09 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you are nearing the end.
Old 02-24-08, 06:27 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Drove the car more today, Seems like the clutch is getting much better or I am getting more used to it. I Absolutly love it! There is no words to explain driving a 6 speed SC400! It is a blast! I have a whole new car. The car is also faster, it is easy to tell. I even hooked a little street race against a 390 powered 67 mustang, He never knew what hit him. Fun!

Quick Reply: 97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread