Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 04:01 AM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, subframe swap is cake. They will only bolt in in one place and if you're going to have the susp apart it's going to need an alignment anyway. Plus, this would give you the opportunity to take the Supra one apart, clean and paint everything, while leaving your stocker in the car in the meantime. Then when you remove the stocker just bolt some rollers on it and you can move it where ever you want with ease. Lastly, if you ever decide you want to put the car back to stock you'll have it sitting there as a fast swap out.
Old 11-04-07, 08:29 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread makes me want to rob a bank...
Old 11-04-07, 11:46 AM
Duckness
Lead Lap

im jealous
Old 11-04-07, 11:49 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome project, looking foreward to the updates.
Old 11-04-07, 04:03 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

This looks to be a very promising project, i am taking notes and waiting to see the full benefits of such a swap. i do have a few questions though, is the supra subframe going to be a direct bolt on or are some modifications necessary to make this work? also, can this swap potentially leave you with alignment issues? nevertheless, i really admire your ingenuity and dedication to said project and wish you all the best...looks good
Old 11-04-07, 06:03 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
LOL, I think I killed it, been picking way to much off it lately. Ha ha
With these mods.....(97 SC400 Supercharged, JIC magic, 20" work Rezax II , JIC FLT-A2 Coilovers soon! , TT Brakes, BFI, S & S, 2 1/2" stainless, Magnaflow, Dragon, B&M trans. Cooler, LSD, Recaro Leather seats, AutoMeter carbon fiber Pyrometer, Oil, Boost & Voltage, AEM wideband, Perfect power piggyback. Getrag 6 speed coming soon!)

I dont believe you for a second!!! Jk
Old 11-04-07, 06:35 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This project is so inspiring...
Old 11-05-07, 04:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good stuff Scott..........
Old 11-05-07, 07:35 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Scott,

You know that Getrag is gonna be wasted on a supercharged setup right Just go ahead and throw the GTE in there now so you can take full advantage of your new tranny!

Jonny
Old 11-05-07, 08:05 AM
fonzo
Pole Position

This thread makes me sick! Now im jealous! more TQ than a little bit
Old 11-05-07, 10:14 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone, I hope by this time next week to be knee deep into all of it and get some progress reports.

Originally Posted by nextlevelcoupe
This looks to be a very promising project, i am taking notes and waiting to see the full benefits of such a swap. i do have a few questions though, is the supra subframe going to be a direct bolt on or are some modifications necessary to make this work? also, can this swap potentially leave you with alignment issues? nevertheless, i really admire your ingenuity and dedication to said project and wish you all the best...looks good
Should be a direct bolt in except for the drive shaft, 6 speed diff messes that up. I dont think it will cause any alignment issues but time will tell. Since my car was previosly alinged for the last ride height I was at then this will be different, I am also adding New JIC coilovers so as soon as it is running it goes back to the alignment rack.

Originally Posted by Dx3
Scott,

You know that Getrag is gonna be wasted on a supercharged setup right Just go ahead and throw the GTE in there now so you can take full advantage of your new tranny!

Jonny
I did consider putting in in my NA-T SC300 but then I would just have another 6-speed SC300T, This will be out of the box which is the theme for this car. I may even sell my SC300 since I am not sure if I am ready to start dumping cash in it, Actually I have already bought a bunch of stuff for it and am thinking I should just sell it before I get $40-$50K deep.
Old 11-05-07, 10:51 AM
TRDRacer
Driver

ScottURnot what is your occupation? This is alot of money that is being dumped into this lovely car and everytime I come on these forums you have something new to put into the car!
Old 11-05-07, 02:20 PM
atxishome
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I drool over this car everytime I see it... My compliments - Yet again =0). Hey where did you get that fan shroud/fans? I just got a Koyo, and I'm looking to get rid of the clutch fan.

~Joe
Old 11-05-07, 06:21 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scott, looking foreward to seeing the finished product!! I like the Quartermaster clutch...Lookimng forward to seeing how this works out for ya...

Ryan
Old 11-05-07, 06:35 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDRacer
ScottURnot what is your occupation? This is alot of money that is being dumped into this lovely car and everytime I come on these forums you have something new to put into the car!
I am the Sales/Engineering Manager for a OEM contract Manufacturer

Originally Posted by atxishome
I drool over this car everytime I see it... My compliments - Yet again =0). Hey where did you get that fan shroud/fans? I just got a Koyo, and I'm looking to get rid of the clutch fan.

~Joe
I actually bought the fans from another member here in CL. If you have trouble finding them I will PM a couple guys I know that have them and ask where they got them.

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Scott, looking foreward to seeing the finished product!! I like the Quartermaster clutch...Lookimng forward to seeing how this works out for ya...

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, Also watching your project closely, It's all top notch!

Quick Reply: 97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread