Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 07:44 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ First post FAIL of the century
Old 04-07-11, 09:04 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go
^^ First post FAIL of the century
Be nice...LOL
Old 02-08-12, 02:32 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

wow i cant tell you how much this project inspires me and i am about to do a manual swap as well but i have not figuered out what trans the r 154 or the getrag to use i have done a bunch of research on both swaps and the swap on the r154 seams alot easyer and less money does any one know what would be the one that would be cheaper and how much tq and rwhp each can handle and support for long periods of time with out brakeing... i cant find the dimensions on the adapter ring as well do you by chance have them or know where i can find them??

Last edited by kolessc400; 02-08-12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 02:34 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

and by the way this project is one of the most amazing projects i have seen come to life... but the trans does make alot of noise... does the r154 have the same problem?? and were you ever able to come up with a parts list??

Last edited by kolessc400; 02-08-12 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 04:39 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kolessc400
wow i cant tell you how much this project inspires me and i am about to do a manual swap as well but i have not figuered out what trans the r 154 or the getrag to use i have done a bunch of research on both swaps and the swap on the r154 seams alot easyer and less money does any one know what would be the one that would be cheaper and how much tq and rwhp each can handle and support for long periods of time with out brakeing... i cant find the dimensions on the adapter ring as well do you by chance have them or know where i can find them??
and by the way this project is one of the most amazing projects i have seen come to life... but the trans does make alot of noise... does the r154 have the same problem?? and were you ever able to come up with a parts list??
Well I can tell you the r154 is the cheaper route, If for nothing else just for the transmission price. The QM clutch for the Getrag is pretty exspensive as well. There is no doubt the V160 is stronger, but depending on what you intend to do to your motor that may not come into play. The tranny does make some noise at idle but its not that bad, the supra guys with non-stock flywheels deal with it all the time. From what I know the r154 did not do it.

I do have a QM clutch assembly for sale and it includes all my custom parts and a crossmember. If a person bought it they would still need a tranny, a adaptor ring and a custome drive shaft.
I would be willing to measure out my adaptor rings while the car is apart for someone that bought my clutch but I am not going to spend the time to measure it out for just anyone. I am actually considering making another adaptor ring to sell with my clutch set up to aid in its sale but that could cost extra.
Old 02-10-12, 08:29 AM
kolessc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Well I can tell you the r154 is the cheaper route, If for nothing else just for the transmission price. The QM clutch for the Getrag is pretty exspensive as well. There is no doubt the V160 is stronger, but depending on what you intend to do to your motor that may not come into play. The tranny does make some noise at idle but its not that bad, the supra guys with non-stock flywheels deal with it all the time. From what I know the r154 did not do it.

I do have a QM clutch assembly for sale and it includes all my custom parts and a crossmember. If a person bought it they would still need a tranny, a adaptor ring and a custome drive shaft.
I would be willing to measure out my adaptor rings while the car is apart for someone that bought my clutch but I am not going to spend the time to measure it out for just anyone. I am actually considering making another adaptor ring to sell with my clutch set up to aid in its sale but that could cost extra.
well all in all how much are you asking for it all? and seprate just for the clutch set up? and is it the one you have used when you did your build or is it new?? my buddy has a getrag that i am getting off of him with 30,000 miles on it its jdm from a 97 supra right hand drive and i might see on makeing the sc the same way

Last edited by kolessc400; 02-10-12 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-10-12, 06:38 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

well all in all how much are you asking for it all? and seprate just for the clutch set up? and is it the one you have used when you did your build or is it new?? my buddy has a getrag that i am getting off of him with 30,000 miles on it its jdm from a 97 supra right hand drive and i might see on makeing the sc the same way

Its listed in the classifieds here. It is my present clutch but low miles, just trying another route.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...peed-swap.html
Old 02-10-12, 08:37 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

so this will have everything for 2125... like you are including adapter ring, trans mount, the clutch, custom parts for trans to adapt it right?? and how many miles are on the clutch... and how come your takeing it out?? and will this fit the 1uz fe from a 1995 sc400 obd 1??
Old 02-11-12, 07:35 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

so this will have everything for 2125... like you are including adapter ring, trans mount, the clutch, custom parts for trans to adapt it right?? and how many miles are on the clutch... and how come your takeing it out?? and will this fit the 1uz fe from a 1995 sc400 obd 1??
It would be everthing to mate the transmission to your engine (I would need a little time to make a second adaptor but thats included)
It has about 1000 miles on it
I am trying a new style clutch/flywheel combo - this one works good but it tends to be a little grabby, thats typical of twin disc bronze clutches. I had no problem driving it once I got used to it but I am always looking to try other things.
It will fit your car no problem.

After purchasing this here is a list of what you would need to complete your swap
Transmission with shifter and stock rubber mount
Custom front driveshafdt section
Supra trans tunnel part (to do it right)
Supra lower shift boot
Lexus 5 speed console boot
Lexus 5 speed pedal set with master clylinder
These are the easy parts to find
Old 02-12-12, 08:33 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

It would be everthing to mate the transmission to your engine (I would need a little time to make a second adaptor but thats included)
It has about 1000 miles on it
I am trying a new style clutch/flywheel combo - this one works good but it tends to be a little grabby, thats typical of twin disc bronze clutches. I had no problem driving it once I got used to it but I am always looking to try other things.
It will fit your car no problem.

After purchasing this here is a list of what you would need to complete your swap
Transmission with shifter and stock rubber mount
Custom front driveshafdt section
Supra trans tunnel part (to do it right)
Supra lower shift boot
Lexus 5 speed console boot
Lexus 5 speed pedal set with master clylinder
These are the easy parts to find
well i deffinetily want/need it but i will need a few weeks to find the money but im not sure if you would hold it for me i would appriciate it
Old 02-12-12, 09:57 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

well i deffinetily want/need it but i will need a few weeks to find the money but im not sure if you would hold it for me i would appriciate it
Ok, what I will do is give you first shot at it if someone else says they want it. It really comes down to who has the cash first but I will check with you before I sell to see if you have gathered the cash. I need some time to make another adaptor anyway.
Old 02-13-12, 06:09 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

Ok, what I will do is give you first shot at it if someone else says they want it. It really comes down to who has the cash first but I will check with you before I sell to see if you have gathered the cash. I need some time to make another adaptor anyway.
ok cool.... i apriciate it but where are you lokated at?? or around so if i do have the cash i could come check it out?? if you wouldnt mind??
Old 02-14-12, 04:24 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

ok cool.... i apriciate it but where are you lokated at?? or around so if i do have the cash i could come check it out?? if you wouldnt mind??
I am in Hutchinson KS, Not sure where you are in CO but it takes me about 7 hours to get to Denver
Old 02-14-12, 05:29 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

I am in Hutchinson KS, Not sure where you are in CO but it takes me about 7 hours to get to Denver
ya denver so prob the same i wouldnt mind coming out for this project for sure
Old 03-16-12, 04:46 PM
2jSC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

truuuuuuuuu

Quick Reply: 97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread