Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

is the center cat necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 07:40 PM
caleb11210
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the center cat necessary?

Does anyone know if the cat on the center/mid pipe on a Sc 300 is necessary to pass inspection in NYS? I kinda need to know asap cause i found a huge crack/hole in the one i have now. Apparently according the the dealer it's about 1,495 bucks to get a new one. He said that my car must be california spec because there are 2 cats on it. I can't believe that i would have to spend that much money on some stupid not even three foot long pipe. I'd rather just get a pipe custom made with no cat for a lot cheaper. Also, anyone know anything about how important heat shields are? I'd rather just leave them off, cause it's just more weight.
Old 11-13-07, 07:42 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im also about to take my center cat out because i also found a hole in it lol. if i dont pass it next april then ill just have my friends uncle help me.
Old 11-13-07, 07:44 PM
caleb11210
Driver School Candidate

Haha yea, well i wish i could just get rid of it, I don't even know if they check like the output of the exhaust in NY. i thought they just tested all computer emissions output only
Old 11-13-07, 07:44 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

are the rules in New york strict? bcs i heard CA is the only place that has restrictions.
iam getting my car looked at tomorrow for a custom exhaust and iam going single.
Old 11-13-07, 07:46 PM
caleb11210
Driver School Candidate

Why single? i always thought it looked better with dual. that's just my opinion though. plus if i went single i'd have a cutout with no exhaust pipe there
Old 11-13-07, 07:47 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OhxPoopy
are the rules in New york strict? bcs i heard CA is the only place that has restrictions.
iam getting my car looked at tomorrow for a custom exhaust and iam going single.
CA is not the only place that has restrictions, it is however the one place in the world that has the strictest restrictions. Thats right, strictest restriction award goes to the golden state.
Old 11-13-07, 07:49 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by habitat
CA is not the only place that has restrictions, it is however the one place in the world that has the strictest restrictions. Thats right, strictest restriction award goes to the golden state.
Oic. thanks for clearifying. some guy at a muffler shop said CA is the only place; thats why i assumed that. whats the legal % for front window tints in CA? bcs the sun gets irritating on long drivessss
Old 11-13-07, 07:51 PM
caleb11210
Driver School Candidate

anyone know the answer to my question?
Old 11-13-07, 07:52 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caleb11210
Why single? i always thought it looked better with dual. that's just my opinion though. plus if i went single i'd have a cutout with no exhaust pipe there
i like the single more than the dual. but if i lose power more than gain then im an idiot
Old 11-13-07, 07:58 PM
caleb11210
Driver School Candidate

well i'm thinking about getting the blitz nur spec R exhaust. that's the axle back which bolts on to the stock exhaust right behind that center pipe. and i figure if i can just custom make that center pipe with out the cat and make that 70mm just like the blitz exhaust then i would increase performance even more, i think..? but i still run into the issue that i don't even know if that would pass inspection. who knows i might just have to ask some guy from some random exhaust shop.
Old 11-13-07, 08:15 PM
Zeal3
Pole Position

if u can get away with inspection i say go for it. but go custom. i think "brand name" exhaust arent really necessary for our car. if i could id go straight pipe! and cause chaos without the cats
Old 11-13-07, 08:32 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For smog inspection purposes you do need all good cats. Ive deleted mine but Im saving for when I have to smog over here in California. Also, Im not sure if this is 100% true for all states but Im hearing that it is a federal offense to remove or have a shop remove your catalytic converter.
Old 11-13-07, 08:44 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you delete it, the check engine light won't come on as long as there isn't a sensor downstream of it.

If it is listed on the emmisions label located on the hood, you likely need it to pass inspection depending on how thourough the inspector is.

The emission sticker would read something like 2HO2 (two heated O2 sensors), 2TWC (two three way converters), 2HO2 (two heated O2 sensors), TWC (three way converter), at least I think that's what mine says on my SC400.

KC
Old 11-13-07, 10:01 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've heard of people gutting their cats and using the shell around a strait pipe so it looks like the cat is still there. as for no CEL showing up with that since no o2 sensor, i dont know.
Old 11-13-07, 11:32 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you MIGHT be able to pass emission inspections with just the two front cats (not sure if all or some states do visible inspections, too, mainly guessing about passing tests, but you would still have two visible cats, just not the center one). I'm still newb to exhausts but I've done so much searching within the last month or two to find info about the results from different exhaust mods.

Last edited by SClean4; 11-13-07 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: is the center cat necessary?