Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need review on Short Throw Shifters.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 10:19 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Picture #3 is the one I purchased, mainly because it was cheaper but it is the same ast the shifter in picture #2. #1 didn't look as well made. Now some pointers when installing. The white cap at the end of the shifter is not beveled but the one that are on the OE shifter is. I purchased a beleved one from my local Toyota dealer for $6 Bucks, anyway the reason being that it will allow more movement between shift and won't feel as stiff. Installing took about a hour mainly due to removing the center console and related screws. If you put the two shifters together you will see that the aftermarket one is better made and sturdier than OE one. It also dropped the height about 1.5 to 2" too. I am going to call the shop tomorrow and tell him that it worked and he should contact a moderator here and see about getting onboard as a vendor. He has a alot of parts that would benefit us.

Now for some pictures, sorry I didn't do a step by step but the battery in the camera was low and I had no way of charging it at that moment.

In this picture I cut the crossmember thinking that the shifter was going to hit it, but it never did. So you there is no need to do so. It's just fiberboard material, no structural integrity was compromised.

You can see how well made the the mounting bracket is in this picture.

Tomorrow, I am going out to purchase a real nice shift ****.

I am willing ask any questions. Again, 1 of the best mods I made on the SC so far. I will be giving it a good working out tomorrow.
Old 11-28-07, 10:46 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a perfect height, I'm glad you were adamant on buying this because your pictures are starting to convince me that $279+ship is worth the added driving pleasure.
Old 11-29-07, 12:56 AM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG now I'm going to buy this! lol!!! Xmas present!!!!!
Old 11-29-07, 04:08 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nate579
Picture #3 is the one I purchased
great find!
Old 11-29-07, 08:18 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Just got back from extended drive and I must say. The shifter makes a difference in the driving enjoyment. Going to contact the company and give them a kudos for a great product. Try and convince them to become a vendor on here, maybe get a group buy going or somethin. Moderator can you send information on the procedure that the vendor needs to join the site.

Last edited by nate579; 11-29-07 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-29-07, 09:00 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the best news I've heard all day!!
Old 11-29-07, 02:40 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

damn i want it...but im a cheap college student guess i still have to make my own.....nice find though.

in the installed picture you put up of the shifter installed, is it in gear or in neutral?
Old 11-29-07, 03:36 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

I have a C's, and it is a great piece. I think Top Speed makes one too that is reasonably priced and should be of good quality!
Old 11-29-07, 05:18 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
damn i want it...but im a cheap college student guess i still have to make my own.....nice find though.

in the installed picture you put up of the shifter installed, is it in gear or in neutral?
It's in gear I think. But during the install you make sure th OE shifter is in nuetral before removal. Then install the new one, again to make it easier replace the white cap with a beveled new one from the dealer or remove the one from the old shifter. Trust me it will make a difference in shifting.

Originally Posted by CLNSC3
I have a C's, and it is a great piece. I think Top Speed makes one too that is reasonably priced and should be of good quality!
The first picture is a C's Shfiter but at $390.00, I think the savings of over $100.00 is worth the chance. But I heard nothing but good things about C shifters.
Old 11-30-07, 12:11 PM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So pretty much any MK3 short shifter would work?
Old 11-30-07, 12:34 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

whats tools were needed to install this? It seems like you can take the whole shifter out from inside without going underneath the car. also can you give us the part number for that white bevel piece youra talking about from the dealership???
Old 11-30-07, 08:50 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusdream
whats tools were needed to install this? It seems like you can take the whole shifter out from inside without going underneath the car. also can you give us the part number for that white bevel piece youra talking about from the dealership???
Just a 10mm socket, phillip head screwdriver. And yes you can remove it without going underneath car. The whole assembly comes up through the center counsole. The part you should use I actually purchased from my local toyota dealer for $6.50 or so. Here's a pic. The one on the right would be the new bushing. Part #33548-31010

The white bushing will make it easier to shift. The new bushing on the short shift really make it hard to move the shifter until broken in. Make sure you put some grease on the ball of the shifter before popping on the bushing. Or use the one on the OE shifter if it's in good shape. To pop them off I just used a large vise grip. When placing the shifter in the hole of the transmission get a piece of wood and hammer/mallet and give it a good whack to make sure it is seated good. The tricky part is making sure it's seated while you are trying to align the screws around the base and tighten down. Also, replace the OE boot with the frame and 4 screws because if you do like I did, thinking I didnt need it. You are going to have a whole lot of engine and drivetrain whine come the through the center console. So tomorrow I will be putting that back in. I will take some pictures and post tomorrow.

The new shifter is very precise in gate engagement, you really feel gates. And it doesn't travel as far between gate so, it will take some getting use too.
Old 12-01-07, 02:31 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

thanks nate. Im thinking about getting this also but its still alittle too expensive for. I could always cut and weld the original shifter and save $275. we'll see what happens.
Old 12-01-07, 11:50 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

thanks nate. Im thinking about getting this also but its still alittle too expensive for. I could always cut and weld the original shifter and save $275. we'll see what happens.
I was thinking the same thing, cutting will shorten the shifter but the throws will still be long. Give us feedback if you go that route. I was hoping to get a group buy going but don't know how to go about it. Don't want to break any CL rules and regulations.
Old 12-01-07, 10:22 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Do it! and let us know how it works out for you!

Quick Reply: Need review on Short Throw Shifters.