Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

To much junk under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 03:02 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gunnar was nice enough to PM me pics of his vacumn hose removal egr delete and c.c. removal. He has an sc300, Im hoping for similar info. and pics on the 400 and also anyone brave enough to delete their abs pump and get a weight on it.
Old 11-27-07, 03:21 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too would be interested to know the weight of the ABS system, that would really really clean things up under the hood. My roommate removed it on his f-body and just had to have someone come over and flare new lines to go into his master cylinder.

If you guys really want me to make a weight reduction/engine bay cleanup thread so it'll be searchable, I can, just let me know the demand is there.
Old 11-27-07, 06:08 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make and polish a cover. No need to remove it competely.. Here is a really old pic, it's a simple piece and would look much better polished..

Old 11-28-07, 12:20 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

^ I love your car. With any luck I might get a black drag package at tax time

That cover looks good, but I'm also interested in the weight aspect of things.
Old 11-28-07, 09:08 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gunnar
^ I love your car. With any luck I might get a black drag package at tax time

That cover looks good, but I'm also interested in the weight aspect of things.
Thanks!! Just remeber it's more fun to cruise around in a fast luxury car, than a bare-bones fast luxury car
Old 11-28-07, 09:15 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Says you lol, ide buy an ole tvr if they sold them here lol

Originally Posted by whiteSc3
Thanks!! Just remeber it's more fun to cruise around in a fast luxury car, than a bare-bones fast luxury car
Old 11-28-07, 09:33 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Dude, untill you replace the doors, hood, trunk with carbon fiber; remove all the sound deadening material and replace the glass the best you will do is have a stripped out, wannabe lite weight sports car. You have a long way to go if you really think removing the ABS is a going to give you noticable benefit in the weight department.
Unless you are racing in some spec, Lexus Sc class that I have never heard of, my honest opinion is it is a waste of time and effort to remove **** like that.
Hell if you are that desperate to save weight and pick up power remove your power steering, and AC, and remove those HEAVY ****ing 20" wheels!!

-If you don't like ABS remove it, but don't take it off thinking you will notice a difference in weight savings while driving the car..
Old 11-28-07, 09:44 PM
twizted
Instructor

I personally wouldnt do it for weight savings, it might be like 6 pound max haha.
Old 11-28-07, 09:46 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All that stuff is there for a reason... Why mess with it and create more problems?

Cruise control I guess is ok... but ABS?

Good luck if you do decide to do it!
Old 11-28-07, 10:01 PM
twizted
Instructor

Ditto, I would'nt mess with abs. I was debating on removing my cruise because its not hooked up, do to my wheel and i was trying to figure a good way to mount the cruise comming out of somwhere else. However it is one plug and one cable to take out pretty much. I think ill take it out just for now...

Originally Posted by Curry
All that stuff is there for a reason... Why mess with it and create more problems?

Cruise control I guess is ok... but ABS?

Good luck if you do decide to do it!
Old 11-29-07, 09:26 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twizted
Ditto, I would'nt mess with abs. I was debating on removing my cruise because its not hooked up, do to my wheel and i was trying to figure a good way to mount the cruise comming out of somwhere else. However it is one plug and one cable to take out pretty much. I think ill take it out just for now...
That's when mine came out. I put a 3-spoke '98 Supra wheel in the car and didn't have the 3-spoke cruise stalk. I rarely use the cruise anyway so I just went ahead and took it out.
Old 11-29-07, 09:28 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Oh I know. My friends try to give me **** about "stripping the car" but I've made it a point to lighten the car up some without losing that "lazy-boy on wheels" feel. Power steering, rear seats, comfortable front seats, etc. are not leaving this car.
Old 11-29-07, 09:55 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 190 Posts

Hell if you are that desperate to save weight and pick up power remove your power steering, and AC, and remove those HEAVY ****ing 20" wheels!!
THANK YOU!!!

Stop *****ing about 6lbs of "abs".. If it "clutters" too much for you then build a box like the picture above. BTW.. People remove ABS with Big brake kits because normally they interfere with the braking system, you would have to get proportioning valves and such, and most people find the braking with BBK's to be better without ABS as long as they learn to not lock them up. (By the way, im not talking about EBAY crap.. I'm talking like a full wilwood kit or endless, etc..)

Any one that cares about weight would be STRIPPING their car, but then again.. if you care about weight WHY do u own a lexus? Their HEAVY!!.. Go buy a honda or 240 if you want to be 2500lbs for a track car. Any one building a purpose built drag car that wants the look of the SC with the 2j platform will most likely remove EVERY thing in the car except a drivers seat and dash, then they will replace the windows with plexi, add a roll cage, remove PS/AC and go with light drag racing rims with skinnys and slicks.

I know I personally want the SC because the look, the comfort, and the quickness. My supra right now weighs in around like 3700lbs, but its outdated inside (mk3). Thats where the newer lexus comes in to play for me. 500rwhp single 1.5jz with AC/PS/Nice interior? = FTW...
Old 11-29-07, 10:58 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

I'm curious why people seem to think that there's no middle ground between a completely full weight car and a "stripped race car"? I deal with this at work too.

I've taken a decent amount of weight out of my car under the hood, in addition to lighter than stock wheels, and lighter than stock exhaust. My car still drives as smooth and comfortable as the day I got it (moreso, even).

Removing emissions junk and a few things you don't use =/= a stripped out race car.
Old 11-29-07, 12:11 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wanna lose weight? Get a carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber trunk and those carbon fiber doors. Get some lighter wheels. Get an aluminum block.

Problem Solved.

Quick Reply: To much junk under the hood