Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

FUSE help o2 sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 10:18 AM
92SC4ME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUSE help o2 sensors?

Hey guys, 1992 sc400 stock

Recently my o2 sensor "fell out" so of course, I bought a universal kit and began to goto work, after stripping the all the wires, I realized that the dumbass who had my car before me stripped the threads in the cat, so I couldnt get the sensor in. I have been to busy to get to a shop this week so I electrical taped the wires, but again they were just hanging about 5-6 inches off the ground.

PROBLEM. here in Wisconsin we just got our first snowstorm of the year, about 8 inches, my car started fine, but as i went thru some snow (maybe 100 feet) my car killed. and hasnt been able to start since, I thought it might have been gas line freeze up, but that wasn't the case. I figured the "hot" Wires of the o2 sensor could have caused a short, causing it not to fire. I looked around a little bit at the fuses but I couldnt find one directly related to the o2 sensors that I know of,

If anyone has any suggestions to what fuses, or what the potential problem is if I'm guessing wrong, Feel free helping me out!

it turns over fine, but it sounds like its not getting spark/fuel or something,

thanks alot!
appreciate it
Old 12-02-07, 08:23 PM
92SC4ME
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Bump

bump, plus I just realized I said I went thru 100 feet of snow, I have no idea how that bad of a typo occurred BUT it was only probably 8 inches to a foot at best (snow drift) we had about 6 inches of snow all around.

still, would anyone know where the fuse would be that controls the oxygen sensors or is that directly controlled by the ECU? or what would I reset to solve a short from the o2 sensor wires??? as I am fairly positive that is the case.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-07, 09:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

**edit** ok i re-read your post and it sounds like you left it with no sensor at all?
i dont think that will work. try and jam the new sensor in there.
check the main fuses in the engine bay and the large actuators. listen for clicks.
good luck.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-03-07 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 11:04 AM
92SC4ME
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy humm.

Do you know of any specific fuses that are linked to the sensor?!?
I did a quick overview, and dug thru my owners manual at the fuse box charts and what fuses control what and I did not encounter any of them having to do with the o2 sensors... no, there wasnt a sensor in at all, and it ran fairly good for almost 2 weeks, till the snow and the wires must have gotten wet & shorted out (yes I am pretty dumb, I have been working long hours and was unable to get to a shop during business hours and have been waiting for a day off

Maybe I could pull one of the connections off of the battery for awhile to reset the ecu. that could work.. right now my car is at a buddys house because thats were I was when this happened, I will try that and get back to you.

thanks!
Old 12-05-07, 09:59 PM
92SC4ME
Driver School Candidate

Default reset the ECU,

ok... So I reset the ecu... and still nothing... car turns over but does not start...

can anyone help?!? 156k miles, the engine should have alot more left!! :P whats the best way to check for fuel/spark on this engine?!? ( especially if its just one person )

open to any suggestions at this point as my daily driver has not ran since the weekend.

thanks!
Old 12-06-07, 04:48 AM
mamurra2
Rookie

o2 sensor definitely will not keep the car from running, you have another problem. pull the top/front cover off and pull #1 plug wire off see if it'll arc to ground while cranking, that'll test spark. you should be able to hear injectors clicking while cranking, sometimes i put the tip of a screwdriver on the body of the injector and my ear on the butt of the screwdriver to hear it. easiest way to see if fuel is getting up to the rail is to pull the return line off and turn the key on.