Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY: How to relocate the wiring harness your tire had for lunch v. LOL

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 04:53 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this on the driver side or passenger side?
Old 12-04-07, 07:19 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the saaaame problem, It grenade'd

check this out

I just tapped them together so i could remember which goes where, then i ran them under the fender pinch weld, Now they are safe and sound =D
Old 12-04-07, 08:41 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

You know you guys are not supposed to rub. That kinda signals an issue. If the suspension is properly set up, your bump stops or limiters would protect the fender well from damage. Yeah the wiring getting chewed is an issue, but improper suspension setup is the real issue. It ain't supposed to rub, and there are others plenty lower than most that do not rub due to them setting it up correctly and not just throwing springs or coilovers on there and dropping the car. This fix in this thread is a tedious wiring job that takes hours and causes you to have to cut a factory harness. For about the same amount of time you can come up with a good design for limiting your suspension.
Old 12-04-07, 10:36 AM
benxd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
just curious, but where you the one that kenny was helping and called me in the morning for and i gave him wiring advice while i was asleep?
Yes Annant, that was me.

Don't remember me do you? Phil's place...
Old 12-04-07, 10:42 AM
benxd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You know you guys are not supposed to rub. That kinda signals an issue. If the suspension is properly set up, your bump stops or limiters would protect the fender well from damage. Yeah the wiring getting chewed is an issue, but improper suspension setup is the real issue. It ain't supposed to rub, and there are others plenty lower than most that do not rub due to them setting it up correctly and not just throwing springs or coilovers on there and dropping the car. This fix in this thread is a tedious wiring job that takes hours and causes you to have to cut a factory harness. For about the same amount of time you can come up with a good design for limiting your suspension.
My car is so low I couldn't see that the wires were chewed through until I removed the tire... It would make a few of the air suspension guys jealous (a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point). Since relocating the harness, it hasn't rubbed once and I ran through Ortega Highway pretty friggen hard on Sunday. Kenny will vouch for me on that part.
Old 12-04-07, 10:44 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

This looks really familiar-i'm having flashbacks....After getting coilovers and dropping the car over my 19z, it was time to feed my wire harness to my brand my tires and boy did they make a real mess of things, i caught the damage right before it did any major damage though. i did not relocate the wiring but, placed it higher into the fender and bent back a thin sheet of steel and reformed it into the fender protecting the wiring and keeping everything safe. i then adjusted the suspension to the proper height (just before rubbing with room for bumps)and have been cool ever since.
Old 12-04-07, 01:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by benxd
Yes Annant, that was me.

Don't remember me do you? Phil's place...
ohhh, the one with the Pizookie???? whats up man?? you comin to the christmas meet?
Old 12-04-07, 02:23 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ohhh, the one with the Pizookie???? whats up man?? you comin to the christmas meet?
Yeah that's me. No Christmas meet for me because of finals and well, it's just too far from La Jolla.

nextlevelcoupe - Where did you bend the metal? I tried to create an opening where it was chewed through but that metal was impossible to bend, even with a heat gun blasting away at it.
Old 01-01-08, 06:15 PM
nos51
Driver School Candidate

so about how low is too low where you would have this issue?is about a 2" drop ok?
Old 01-01-08, 06:21 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

2 inch drop should be fine, cuz im running that much and its not rubbing at all, but wow those pics make me shiver a bit
Old 01-01-08, 07:02 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

LOL that video is funny
Old 01-01-08, 08:39 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That video is funny! Had to watch it twice!
Old 01-02-08, 03:41 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
That video is funny! Had to watch it twice!
i thought this one was better! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rj7R...eature=related

that rubbin looked nasty!
Old 06-24-08, 10:29 AM
buffalosoj
Pole Position

Is there a simpler way to move the harness than cutting and splicing all the wires? I've searched for other threads with pictures, but this is the only one I've come across.
Old 06-24-08, 10:54 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by buffalosoj
Is there a simpler way to move the harness than cutting and splicing all the wires? I've searched for other threads with pictures, but this is the only one I've come across.
You did read all this thread right?

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
So, eh.......... you know that harness unplugs on the other side of the foot well - fire wall in the kick panel, right? Rather than cut every single wire to move it, you can ...... unplug it.

Quick Reply: DIY: How to relocate the wiring harness your tire had for lunch v. LOL