Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got a free '97 SC300 (novice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 03:10 PM
xHRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I am not selling this car. Are you crazy?!

I will never have a car as beautiful as this one, and I am only interested in maxing its' potential.

In fact the amount of work required to bring the potential out of it is interesting to me and could be considered a hobby. I enjoy learning about the different tweaks I need...

P.S. I am not going to buy a domestic car! EVER AGAIN!

I love my SC300.........................
Old 12-28-07, 03:12 PM
xHRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex

Start from the ground up, check brakes, then suspension. I would make sure the motor is running good too if you decide to do na-t.
That is a sound plan of action, throughout this maintenance perhaps I will find an area which needs great improvement. Thank you!
Old 12-28-07, 09:05 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to have to disagree with a few things said here...

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
First mod: Sell it.
The 97 SC is sleek, sexy, luxurious, and capable of being a beast when it comes to making big power. I think the 97 SC300 is one of the better OEM platforms to start with to make a very fast, very sexy car.

I doubt this car is for you. I'd bet you'd be happier with something like a domestic V-8 that has less traction and can do burnouts, as well as the ability to put power to the ground with simple bolt ons.
Most of the domestic V8's are engineered to take no more of a pounding than the mighty 2JZ. The well revered, admittedly beastly LS1 is normally rebuilt before being taken above 12psi of boost and ~600hp. The 2JZ may take 20psi to get to that same power level, but the bottom end can still hold up.

I normally do not recommend selling an Sc, but judging by your questions I doubt you'll ever be satisfied with the car.
American V8's can't undergo JDM conversion, nor would they make the perfect drift car (in my opinion). The poster wants to take the car back to its JDM roots with a Soarer conversion and some driftable mods. I think he will be completely satisfied with his SC when he takes it to that level.

Now, if you have a TON of money to throw at it and make it perform the way you'd like, then keep it and get to work. The VVTI 97+ cars are not just bolt and go cars, lots of software re-engineering is involved.
VVT-i wasn't introduced into the SC line until 98. This guy has a gem of a car for this very reason. He has the bullet proof bottom end with Supra aftermarket support AND the updated OEM body kit to boot. This is a killer platform.

To the original poster:
(1) 5MT swap
(2) LSD rear end
(3) Suspension & Brakes
(4) Turbo Kit

You will love your car at that point. For $10k, you will be able to look better and drive faster than 99% of the cars on the road. That is value.